02 2.0 TDCI 130 GHIA X cut out in traffic / batter - tom8870
Hope this post will be of use to someone - car just stopped in traffic in outside lane. breakdown assistance could not jump start. Suggested fuel pump problem. Recovered on lorry home a few hours later. Get my mechanic friend over next Morning and get battery charged and guess what car starts first time. We now think that maybe we left the lights on etc which would explain why the battery got drained as had checked altenator and was ok. Drive it arround 40 miles on a number of trips over the rest of the day and everything is great. However later that evening will not start again. The engine turns over but will not start. Call breakdown again and again cannot be jump or bump started. Checked immobiliser etc. Mechanic friend now stratching his head as says that this is the first diesel he has failed to start in 3 years and thinks it is a fuel related issue. Get car recovered to home again. next morning now try to charge battery again but the car will not start. Decide to ask local garage to put it on the computer. The result -- they fitted a new camshaft sensor and fingers crossed looks like it has solved the problem.
02 2.0 TDCI 130 GHIA X cut out in traffic / batter - R2-CMax
I've got a C-Max 2.0 TDCi - a different engine but had exactly the same symptoms (including where the engine chose to stop). New camshaft position sensor and 5k miles with no further incidents.

With mine, I noticed the problem occured on a warming engine (i.e. 10-20 mins after start).

It's a fairly cheap part to replace (~£27 +labour & VAT on mine) which was welcome relief as the manner of the breakdown had me thinking dark thoughts about fuel pumps, injectors and four-figure repair bills.

I expect this problem is not confined to Fords (especially in my case as the engine comes from the PSA joint venture). Also an example of the diagnostic systems pointing directly to the fault and no mucking about trying this and that to find the problem.