FilterMAG - Carl2
I know this item has been discussed on here before but I can,t find it. Is it worth buying one of these or sticking an old tv magnet on to my oil filter. Are there any other makes available from common suppliers.
FilterMAG - Carl2
Just ordered a "Filter Plus" magnet from E-Bay for £7.00. Whilst waiting for a reply. Any thoughts on this product?
FilterMAG - DP
In my opinion completely unnecessary if you follow the recommended service schedule and use an OEM (Motorcraft) filter. Modern engines run to starship mileages without these add on bits.

FilterMAG - L'escargot
If it was worthwhile, Ford would either fit one as standard or offer it as an option.
FilterMAG - Ian (Cape Town)
Isn't the sump plug on most cars magnetic?
FilterMAG - jc2
No;though they used to be available as an accessory-most useful on Minis where the engine shared oil with gearbox.
FilterMAG - ifithelps
Sump plugs on some cars had a built-in magnet.

Can't recall which makes, but when I was working in a garage in the late 70s I do remember wiping them clean at oil change time.

There was only ever a tiny amount of iron filings on the plug, which I can't believe would have done any damage had they been left floating around in the oil.
FilterMAG - madf
Mini sump plugs were magnetic as standard. When I changed the oil, there was a 2mm layer of iron filings from the gears.

Most gearbox drain plugs are also magnetic for similar reasons.

gearboxes do not have oil filters. Engines do.....