Autotrader Scam ??! - sjh91
now im only 18 looking at buying my first car, so im not too good at spotting dodgy deals
but this deal looks a little strange

i emailed this guy about him selling his 2007 for 2k asking why it was so cheap, thinking it may have been involved in an accident

and i got this reply...

Hello there

Sorry for my late reply regarding my 2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 Cdti Club 5 Dr ,

My name is Jacques LaPrise

Please take some time to read this whole email with attention, because I want you to understand how this

transaction will work.

I am writing you regarding the 2007 Vauxhall Corsa listed on autotrader for 2,000 £. The car is still for sale and it is in perfect

condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well the interior is in excellent

condition, never involved in any kind of accidents, HPI clear, non-smoking and it has 40,000 miles. The car is located

in Birmingham locked in my garage and will come with full service history.

The price that I'm asking for the car is 2,000 £.

Now I'm in France because I just opened a store in my home city Bordeaux / France and I need a car here. I already

found one here but I need to sell my car from UK first.

I want to make sure that you really intend to buy my car because I will fly to Birmingham only if I am sure I am

dealing with a serious buyer with cash money available. It will be no problem for me if you just tell me that you

don't want or can't buy the car.

To avoid coming to UK for nothing the best way for both of us it's to transfer the whole amount of 2,000 £ ON YOUR

NAME to Birmingham, using Western Union. You could ask your partner or a member family to help you with this and to send the money on

your name to Birmingham. In this way your money will stay at Western Union until we meet to close our deal. You control

the money, since you are the Receiver and your partner is the Sender.

Note that you don't send me any money in advance for the car, I ask you to do that because just in this way I can

verify the transfer online to see if you are a serious buyer with money available.

Once I successfully verify the transfer online with Western Union i will fly back home and meet you to complete the

deal in person and you will pay me in then.

If you are still interested to make the deal with me please reply so we can start the ball rolling to set up my trip

back to UK.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers

2007 Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 Cdti Club 5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 2007 57 Reg, 40000 miles

transferring the whole amount on my name to some guy seems a little odd
considering i havent even tested or viewed the car yet

thanks for any replies
Autotrader Scam ??! - Zub
"Please take some time to read this whole email with attention" = SCAM, no need to read further.
Autotrader Scam ??! - Alby Back
Not with anyone's bargepole. Ab so lute ly not.
Autotrader Scam ??! - Alanovich
Total scam. There is no car. Run away.
thought so
he did have pics of the car on autotrader but its not on there anymore

im guessing the car is stolen or something

should i email back pretending to still be interested and see what he says ?!
Autotrader Scam ??! - maltrap
Don't touch it. Report it to Autotrader.
Autotrader Scam ??! - oldnotbold
"im guessing the car is stolen or something"

There is no car - just some pics he ripped from another ad.
Autotrader Scam ??! - sassyblue3
Definitely a scam, why would he fly all the way back for 2k when he could get alot more?? Also i think the Western Union thing has been mentioned alot on the ebay forums about scammers using that method or something.
Autotrader Scam ??! - doctork
DO NOT REPLY
Autotrader Scam ??! - Rattle
Just a scam works of some kind of bogus deposit thing, been reported here and other sites before.
Autotrader Scam ??! - 1400ted
Some fool will send him money....make sure it's not you !

Ted
Autotrader Scam ??! - gordonbennet
Generally if a car is too cheap there's a good reason.

The car's in some lock up and i'll meet you there to hand the car over after i've got the money....blimey if this works on anyone the robbing so and so deserves to pocket the money.

Autotrader Scam ??! - ifithelps
If I recall, this scam exploits Western Union procedures in some way.

As Rattle says, it has been reported on here recently, and if my forum search skills were up to scratch....
Western Union cash transfers can be picked up at any WU office worldwide. The scammer asks you to send £XX, and you send him the WU ref., and he then goes to the WU office in Lagos and picks up the cash. End of.
Autotrader Scam ??! - Rattle
If the scam is being run from Africa surely when the adds are placed on Autotrader it will be traced by to Africa when the adds are being made?

If these people are making the adds via the internet there will be an IP address which was logged. I wonder if Autotrader should flag up a warning if the advert has not been made from a UK IP?
The scammers have assistants in the UK. I played along another Nigerian fraudster who posted out the fake bank draft from UK, with a Royal Mail stamp, not a Nigerian one. His sidekick was sent running all over London to collect the cash I said was waiting for him. Even had him ask for me in Leytonstone Police station ;-))
yeah i figured it was a bogus deal
just wanted to check

but at least i know the kind of stuff they try to pull now

although you think he would offer it out for 4k or something to make it more believeable
just hope someone with a little less common sense doesn't go for it
Autotrader Scam ??! - quizman
They are doing this with tractors as well. I am looking for a second hand tractor and have come across several ridiculously cheap John Deeres. Apparently Western Union are to be used to make payments.

People must be thick to fall for this sort of nonsense.
They do it with horses, boats, cars, tractors, aircraft - in fact anything with any value where people can be conned into thinking they are getting a great bargain.
Autotrader Scam ??! - bell boy
only the greedy get scammed by the uneedy
copywrite@ oldman towers---------
Autotrader Scam ??! - jbif
People must be thick to fall for this sort of nonsense. >>

Try telling that to Tim Berners-Lee:
www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/16/berners_lee_burne.../
"Web scam hoodwinks web founding father
Even the inventor of the world wide web isn't immune from online crime. ... "

... I am looking for a second hand tractor...

quizman,

How do you weigh up/value a secondhand tractor?

Do they still record hours worked and do they hold their value better or worse than a car?

A few lines from you might help me avoid any scam adverts (he said in a desperate attempt to avoid accusations of thread drift).

Alright, I'm just curious.
Autotrader Scam ??! - quizman
Tractors record their hours worked, on old tractors on a clock on the rev counter and on newer tractors digitally, like cars are now. Services now are usually at 500 hours, a few years ago it was every 250 hours and even longer ago it was every 100 hours, just like cars have gone.
Well looked after tractors are holding their values very well. Since the £ has dropped against the euro many more are exported.
I swapped a excellent condition John Deere 6400 for a JD 6420 in 2004, the old tractor would probably cost more to buy now than I received.
I am looking for a used 4 wheel drive model to put a front loader on because silage bales are getting too heavy for my old 1976 International to lift. The International is worth about £3000, it is only an ordinary model, how much would a car from 1976 be worth, if it had lasted?
I am looking on the Internet for a tractor, I quite like it when I have got something to look for. It's as much fun finding as it is getting!
Quizman,

Silage bales? We used to put our silage in a pit, pour on some liquefied molasses, cover it in dirt to form a weed cover, roll it (lethal - why the tractor never turned over I'll never know), and cut/dig it out when needed.

Still heat in the centre months later, as you'll probably know.

Had an old Nuffield 10/60 with a front loader for old-style bales or bucket for mucking out.

No pas, so very hard work with any weight on the front.

Autotrader Scam ??! - theterranaut
SJH- so they're still at it?

See my post a few weeks ago:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72986&...e

tt
i did find a website about scam baiting which i found quite interesting, some people spent months baiting others, at least puts them off doing it

just dont understand what the 419 stands for ?!

on another note
since i am looking at a first car

are there any good suggestions
smallish engine (up to a 1.4)
cheap to insure
decent interior and fun to drive
possibly for £2,000 max or slightly over

i have been looking at seat ibiza's recently and they look quite decent
any other mentions would be grand :)

thanks
Autotrader Scam ??! - Avant
SJH - at this end of the market condition is more important than make of car. Try to buy for £1000-£1500 and save some money for possible repairs (I assume you've budgeted for insurance, which for your first car may cost more than the car does).

That said, there are more Fords and Vauxhalls around than other makes, which gives you more choice.
Autotrader Scam ??! - rtj70
To quote: "The number "419" refers to the article of the Nigerian Criminal Code"

From here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

I know it's wiki but I know the 419 is the criminal code. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that page.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/04/2009 at 22:48

Autotrader Scam ??! - bell boy
i dont like code 21 when im walking out of a supermarket,i always feel that 5 bouncers are going to jump on me because the check out girl didnt cancel the hidden data markings on one of my purchases
Autotrader Scam ??! - Ian (Cape Town)
Yep, 419 is the Nigerian criminal code for the fraudm, but had become a bit of a generic for any Nigerian scamsters.
some sites, like ebolamonkeyman and scamorama detail the frauds, plus the scambaiters, who deliberately waste these vermin's time.
Lots of guys get caught - especially with the 'I'll deposit the money in your account', which turns out to be a fraudulent cheque - always for too much, but can you pay the balance to my shipping agent at this account....

I've done a few - set myself up as Vigris Roggering, the swedish retired sea captain, and arranged to meet these guys in a bar in Cape Town's notorious Pink district.
Obviously I didn't pitch up, but i'm sure they had fun asking for Vigris Roggering when they got there...
Autotrader Scam ??! - gordonbennet
meet these guys in a bar in Cape Town's notorious Pink
district.

Brilliant, sounds like a scene from a Police Academy film where the two always end up in the blue oyster bar in the arms of some dodgy leather clad types..;)

I sometimes have an enjoyable browse on one or two scam baiters sites, glad someone's got the 'net know how to cause a headache to the scammers, the transcripts from the increasingly frustrated scammers emails makes for highly enjoyable reading..

Vigris Roggering i ask you ha ha..;)
Autotrader Scam ??! - barney100
Jaques LaPrise?! Someone will fall for it but make sure it ain't you.