03 1.6 ABS Light - Roly93
The ABS light blinks intermittantly on my car. Some days it deosn't come on at all other days it blinks erratically as I drive.
What is the likely cause of this ? Could it be a wheel sensor ?
C'mon guys ! Could this also be an instrument binnacle problem ?

If so what do I have to do to fix it please ?

Edited by Roly93 on 07/04/2009 at 18:00

03 1.6 ABS Light - jonat127
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth!
You can test the wheel sensors with a multimeter. I was told how to do this once by a Renault technician and I am struggling to remember what he said.
I think what you need to do is; disconnect them (there will be a plug somewhere within about 30-40 cm of the sensor) then measure the resistance between the two terminals whilst you spin the wheel (slowly) it should go up and down as the peaks on the ABS ring on the wheel passes the sensor.
The trouble will be if you are getting an intermittent fault you may not get to see a fault on the particular sensor when you test it.
Whilst you are under the car check each ABS ring is securely fixed in place. If any are lose they may not rotate at the same speed as the other wheels and this will register as a fault unless you are breaking in which case it will actuate the ABS!
Jon
For everyones interest, I have now fixed the problem.

It wasnt a wheel sensor issue as I/we had first thought.

It was an instrument cluster prob.

I removed the cluster as has been described a number of times on the web and this forum.

The soldered pins of the connector socket which connect the cluster to the car wiring had fluffy white corosion around them. Just a clean with a stiff brush and some circuit cleaner sorted the problem, now no more blinking ABS light.
03 1.6 ABS Light - MikeTorque
Good job & well done, and thanks for letting us all know.