Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Paul23
Hi,
I have a Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 - 1995 & it was broken into at the weekend, i have it recorded on a low quality VHS tape & it took less than 10 seconds to break into the boot, the only damaged caused to plastic surround at top of lock being cracked, i also heared a really loud crack noise when it was opened, followed with the car alarm...
is it this easy to get into the car normally ?
and is there anything i can do to fix the problem ?

i had this on my old car and was able to remove the lock as it had a seperate handle to open the boot...but on this car it's one button for lock and boot release ;(

any help appreciated.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Daedalus
Paul,

Sorry this in not the reply you want, but did anyone see Watchdog tonight about the same problem with Peugot 406 saloons? What is the trick to get in them and what are they doing to prevent it?

Bill
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Blue {P}
Unfortunately it's not likely that there's a lot you can do without going to some expense, the car has poor locks by modern standards, I suppose you probably could do something if you wanted to spend a fair bit of cash having it de-locked and maybe a remote boot release? But I can't see it been worth it. Maybe somoen a bit more in the know as far as security's concerned could shed some light?
Unfortunately it's not likely that there's a lot you can do
without going to some expense, the car has poor locks by
modern standards, I suppose you probably could do something if you
wanted to spend a fair bit of cash having it de-locked
and maybe a remote boot release? But I can't see it
been worth it. Maybe somoen a bit more in the know
as far as security's concerned could shed some light?

how much would i be looking at roughly to have the car de-locked and the windows treated with that toad film stuff so they can't be smashed ?

i think it may be worth doing really..i mean they tried twice in one night to get stuff out of the car...the 2nd time they came back i'd moved the car up to a brick wall at the house, so they didn't bother with it, but stole the neighbours metro instead ;)
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - svpworld
You obviously have something in there that is attracting attention - my first suggestion would be to empty the car and remove the parcel shelf so they know its empty! Delocking is easy on the front doors, simply replace the handles with rear door handles provided you have remote central locking. Rear boot not so easy, just leave it unlocked and save your car getting damaged! I've seen these toad films but to be honest, I cant see any point in them. Whatever happens if your car is attacked they are going to smash the window, film or not.. so its an insurance claim or expense on your behalf. If there's a film, they just try harder and probably cause more damage to the car. My cav mk3 had 2 security systems, alarm and separate clifford immobiliser. The stickers for the latter seemed to deter thieves well enough, but I had my 80p stainless steel tyre valve caps pinched off the drive!

S.

Paul,
Sorry this in not the reply you want, but did anyone
see Watchdog tonight about the same problem with Peugot 406 saloons?
What is the trick to get in them and what
are they doing to prevent it?
Bill

See the thread here by A Shanks

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=73...4

and also

www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/reports_wpeugeot406...l
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Cyd
Yours will be a Cav with deadlocking? Sorry, but the security was carp on these. I worked on vehicle security in the early-mid 90s and could get into one and drive it away with simple tools in about 30 seconds - it took about half a day to become practised at it. Can't say any more!!! Mind you, not many cars were very secure then and some still aren't now. Check out www.ncsr.co.uk
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - jeds
A few years ago a colleague picked up a brand new 5 series top range BMW on Sunday afternoon - it was new reg day.

He went to a trendy coffee shop with his wife and came back to find the car had been broken into - but there was no damage. It looked like he had left the car open.

When plod came (miracle in itself) he mentioned that he was positive he locked the door. Plod went to his car and got half a tennis ball from the boot. Held it over the boot lock and gave it a smack with the palm of his hand. All the door and boot locks popped open - apparently a safety device which unlocks the central locking system in case of impact.

Myth or does it work? He swore blind it was genuine but, call me a cynic, I've never quite been able to believe it.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Dynamic Dave
Plod went to his car and got half a tennis ball from the
boot. Held it over the boot lock and gave it a smack with
the palm of his hand. All the door and boot locks popped open.
Myth or does it work?

No myth I'm afraid. Some car central locking systems use pneumatics instead of electrical solenoids. The air pressure from the ball being squashed is enough to pop the lock on some cars. Early Golfs being one IIRC.
my car wasen't listed on www.ncsr.co.uk :(
i have fitted a new alarm and immobalised to the car, which is a clifford concept also getting the external proximiter sensor fitted for it later today in the hope it will put ppl off messing with it :)
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Highway Star
I've found that rust and the occasional dent (all the work of the previous owner, by the way) are a good crime deterrent on my Cavalier.

Did I leave my lights on?
hehe, they weren't after the car...probably as they already had 3 stolen cars with them already...

they where after the contents of the boot all of which was bolted in so they got nothing :)

funny enough i left the front on my £500 car stereo and they didn't go for it and also left my mobile in the car :)

or maybe they thought the alarm was a fake and they would have plenty of time to mess about after getting into it...

is it this easy to get into the car normally ?

Its even easier with a house brick unfortunately. Until car manufacturers use laminated windows all round, the best locks and deadlocking will stop no one from getting into your motor. Imobilisers might stop them driving off with it, but you still have the expense of fixing broken ignition switches, steering locks, ect because the scroat hasn't realised it had an imobiliser until he has tried to start the engine.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - THe Growler
I still swear by my Autotaser Steering Lock, the one where motion sets of a shrill alarm then pumps 50,000 volts through the device if anyone gtries touching it, with lots of interesting lightning effects.

Pity they don't make /em any more.....

I still swear by my Autotaser Steering Lock,
Pity they don't make /em any more.....

According to google, they're still available to buy.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I still swear by my Autotaser Steering Lock,
>> Pity they don't make /em any more.....
According to google, they're still available to buy.

I'm sure the nanny-state would have something to say about this ... can't have the villains getting hurt now, can we?
Remember the bloke who got done for having a power inverter in his car, grounded to a steel plate under the rear wheel?
He parked in an underground carpark, yards from other cars, and a security guard got too close, and got a nasty shock.
Gurad prosecutred, and won case.
(Im sure a lot of these 'security guards' are in on a lot of fiddles, but I digress)
>> Autotaser Steering Lock,

I'm sure the nanny-state would have something to say about
this ... can't have the villains getting hurt now, can we?

High voltage, low current. Remember its current that kills, not the voltage. Shock from one of these autotasers is similar to an electric fence the farmers use to keep their livestock in.
For info:

www.lcars.eu.org/autotaser.uk/facts.html
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - THe Growler
That's interesting. I was given to understand they weren't made any more and their website shut down. I shall pursue this, not only are they spectacular but they make a nice blunt instrument.

Yes, the criminals' rights bleeding hearts lobby would love these, I know. As far as I'm concerned anyone touches my possessions with intent and it's their problem.

That's not all, I carry a can of Mace in the car as well (my earlier car-jacking tales explain this where I was nearly the car-jackee). This also came in handy when a billy-boy tried to snatch Ms Philippines' handbag in an underground car park. He (she?) threatened in a high-pitched voice to sue me I said be my guest and I'm still waiting....

But I suppose at the end of the day if someone wants your wheels badly enough they'll find a way. My security manager used to say total prevention was not a viable strategy unless I was made of money, the plot is to make yours just that little bit more hard to nick than someone else's, so they get done and not you.

Not a lot of good going to the cops in the Philippines either.
They are either already riding around in your pride and joy having blundered around and luckily recovered it and decided to keep it, or else they were the scumbags that had it away in the first place.

Sorry but I feel another anecdote coming on. The C-5 is a sort of by-pass round the outskirts of one of Manila's many cities. It is a known haunt of crooks and criminals and druggies, is unlit at night and bordered nby mile after mile of squatter shanties. The cops are known to be in league with a number of tire vulcanizing shops on the route. These shopowners frequently sprinkle the highway with sharp items at night ..and..well.....send your answers in a on a postcard please...

Finally I like this thread's heading. Try putting a hyphen between Vauxhall and Cavalier for some flavour.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - RichardW
>Finally I like this thread's heading. Try putting a hyphen between Vauxhall and Cavalier for some flavour.

Brilliant....
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - BrianW
Or a minus sign between Cavalier and Security ?
not only are they spectacular but they make a nice blunt instrument.

If it's a blunt instrument, say no more www.spytech-uk.com/new.html
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Steve S
Don't know if anyone remembers this incident, it happened around Croydon (I think) a few years back. But undoubtedly the best car security system todate - a sleeping gunman/terorist!

Scroat fails to see said gunman sleeping under a blanket - gunman thinks the scroat is the law and the games up, shoots the would-be car fellon!

Be honest, just for a split second before reason and your moral code re-asserts itself, you can't help feeling a bit "serves him right".
The best security device I saw was in the 1st Robocop movie. Scroat tries to steal car. Scroat gets zapped by zillions of volts, doors opens and scroat automatically ejected from drivers seat. Pity it only ever happens in the movies.
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Ian (Cape Town)
I remember that one...
The payoff line was "and it won't even drain your battery!"
Vauxhall Cavalier Security? - Cyd
Some manufacturers now offer laminated side windows as an option. However, there's concern that if laminated glass were universally used it would cost lives by making it harder to escape from a crashed car, or hindering the fire brigade breaking their way in to get you out. Two sides to every coin.