1985 2.8 power loss - bigmennie
hi i have a ford sierra 1985 2.8 v6 it has been well underpowered since i bought it it only has 40,000 miles and has been garaged for 10 years i have done all the basic service things to it like oil, oil filter air filter, spark plugs new ht leads etc when i start it it will cut out straight away so i have to rev the engine so it wont cut out but once revved then i can leave it to idle i have been told it could be the fuel pump but not sure can someone help
1985 2.8 power loss - elekie&a/c doctor
The Bosch k-jetronic fuel injection fitted to these is a very reliable system .However there are a number of checks and adjustments that can be made.Ensure the ignition timing is set correctly.The air inlet to the throttle butterfly needs to be cleaned and set as well as the idle air screw;(large flat blade head with a spring behind it).Remove the flexi trunk on top of the fuel metering unit and make sure the flap is free to move and the housing is clean.The fuel pump pressure needs to be checked but requires special gauge set.Don't forget that the fuel mixture is adjustable and can also affect poor running and performance.hth
1985 2.8 power loss - bell boy
i was reading the other day that a new source of throttle position sensers had been found for older cars and im sure the 2.8 was one of them
in my opinion this is a classic cause of your problem
1985 2.8 power loss - elekie&a/c doctor
The 2.8 engine does not have a throttle position sensor.However the 2.9 engine does.hth
1985 2.8 power loss - bell boy
i wasnt sure
i also appreciate your input