Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - mustangman
I have a Golf Mk6 which has DRLs ( daytime running lights ). I've just completed a lengthy motorway journey, where I guess since I've got them, I was noticing how many other late cars appear to have them.

I've read threads about use of sidelights in poor visibility, which I think DRL's address quite nicely, though there fitment to my car was purely incidental.

I noticed Fiat 500's, and many Volvo's & BMW's, and of course all those Audi led ones.

Mind a lot of the Beemers seem to drive with lights on in daytime. I think they just like to pose with those "angel eyes" lights.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/04/2009 at 11:19

Thoughts on DRL's - captain chaos
Just one less thing to remember when one gets behind the wheel after a session in the pub. As long as you stick to the speed limit you're fine. No traffic cops any more, just cameras!
;-)
Thoughts on DRL's - Pugugly
Bad from a motorcyclist's point of view though, bikes will disappear in the "clutter" of lights making them easier for the myopic/stupid/phone user to hit.
Thoughts on DRL's - captain chaos
Quite agree PU, not a motorcylist myself (quite keen on cycling though) and it has always been my view that the only vehicles allowed to show lights during daytime should be motorcycles. Bit of a defence against the dopey SMIDSY contingent. There are some on here who will disagree no doubt ;-)
Thoughts on DRL's - oldgit
I have a Golf Mk6 which has DRL's ( daytime running lights ). I've just
completed a lengthy motorway journey where I guess since I've got them I was noticing
how many other late cars appear to have them.

I know. My new Golf MK 6 will have these nuisances when I get it in June but thankfully they can be disabled according to those knowledeable folk on www.uk-mkivs.net.

It is a pretty easy procedure of pulling the left hand indicator stalk fully towards you and then down as far as it will go. This is done with the ignitions off and then, whilst keeping the lever in this position, one turns on the ignition and leaves it on for 3 seconds minumum and then turn if off and Hey Presto, apparently.
This can be reversed by doing the same but with the indicator stalk fully towards you and then fully upwards and then turning on the ignition, etc.

Must try it on mine.
Thoughts on DRL's - Woodspeed
I thought they were a mad idea at first. Until I spent some time, and still do, in Denmark, where headlights or daytime running lights have to be used.
No more peering when overtaking in rain/mist/fog for to the numpties who have sidelights (should have been called parking lights) nothing at all or headlights on. Felt safer in a dark car going under trees. The LED type lights use hardly any power (alternator load = more fuel) compared to headlights.
Thoughts on DRL's - Old Navy
I know. My new Golf MK 6 will have these nuisances when I get it
in June but thankfully they can be disabled according to those knowledeable folk on www.uk-mkivs.net.

What would your insurance companys position be if you had a bump and the other driver said the classic "I didnt see you" and it became noted that you did not have lights on which should default on? Insurance companies are good wrigglers. Can you see your DRL nuisances from inside the car? You had better get used to them we will all have them eventually.

Edited by Old Navy on 01/04/2009 at 18:26

Missed the edit by miles:

My other half was involved in a very minor coming togther in a car park recently, When I reported the bump to the insurance company they specificly asked "Has your car been modified in any way". The repair company (A big national one) inspected the entire car in detail even down to all the tyre tread depths. I expect that report to end up with the insurer.
Thoughts on DRL's - TheOilBurner
It depends what you call a modification. As the Golf VI DRLs are turned off by using the cars standard controls with a procedure documented in the owner's manual (I've checked, it's there), I don't see how that could be seen as a modification, any more than winding the windows down or folding a seat flat!
Thoughts on DRL's - DP
My S60 has them, and if you want them disabled, it has to be done in software at a Volvo dealer. There is an unofficial method involving butchery of the wiring around the headlight switch, but that doesn't appeal.

As a motorcyclist, it concerns me that DRLs make motorcyclists "blend in" more. I always ride on dipped beam, and during daylight hours, it makes me a little more visible. If my dipped beam blends in to a thousand others, I lose that visibility.

Cheers
DP
Thoughts on DRL's - andyfr
I've seen quite a few bikes with twin xenon lights. You can certainly see them!
It depends what you call a modification. As the Golf VI DRLs are turned off........etc.

At last, common sense prevails here. When I referred to the means of switching off these DRL's perhaps I should have mentioned that it was 'official' as it is mentioned, apparently, in the car's manual - and I'll certainly do just that.
and I'll certainly do just that.

Dont complain if one day someone says to you "Sorry, I didnt see you".
That happened to me once with my Volvo, which is not only equipped with all round DRLs and marker lights, but also burn your eyes out bright Xenons.

After that I decided to get them deactivated. After all, if I've not been seen with all that lot, it's just a waste of fuel and bulbs...
Thoughts on DRL's - Paul G1pdc
with my workhorse the v40 year 2000 xi.
we can turn the drls off tells you how to do it in the owners manual.
we had them on for 6months or so, but having standard fitment twin headlights and 4 tail-lights.
so thats 2 bulbs and the front and 4 at the back on top of the 4 lights on the bumpers and the 2 number plate bulbs i was outside once every few weeks changing bulbs..
with the dlrs off the 4x orange side/corner lights are still on, just the 4 back and 2 front bulbs are off
with leds, no problems, apart from dodgy solder joints when they get really really old they should outlast the car
paul.
i thought some owners of german cars used there fog lights as drls hahaha
watching the apprentice last night on BBC1 there black people carriers all had the fog lights on....hmm must be the smog in London....hmmmm

Edited by Paul G1pdc on 02/04/2009 at 17:06

One of my reasons for believing that DRLs (or dips) can be lifesavers is that for 5 years I used to drive between Glasgow and Skye on an almost weekly basis. Poor visibility in winter, foreign tourists on the wrong side of the road in summer, and suicidal overtakes towards you all year round convinced me of the need to be seen. A colleague was killed by a driver on the wrong side of the road, and I have had to take avoiding action. OK most people dont venture out of the concrete jungle, but in the real jungle lights save lives.
Surely it is as easy as turning on your lights when visibility dims? OK - not everyone does this, but that would be an argument for fairly sensitive auto lights to be made standard, not DRLs.

Still, I have no particular objection to LED based systems, providing the power draw and lifespan of these is as good as people claim. If so, then why not...apart from the bike concerns...
Do all the people concerned about the power consumption of DRLs turn everything in their house off standby when it is not in use? One good acceleration would burn off months of DRL use.
Yes, sadly I do exactly that! :)

It's also a matter of replacement cost, as said above I have Xenons. When they go (as they do through overuse, despite the myth of them lasting forever) then it will hurt the old wallet no end.

It's also a pain when blubs keep going once every 3-4 weeks as they did in my previous Volvo with Halogen bulbs, never mind the cost.
I've also calculated the total power consumption on my DRLs is around 140W, that's almost 1.5% of the power the engine generates...enough to break away by a good foot or so on the traffic light grand prix... ;)
>> and I'll certainly do just that.
>>
Dont complain if one day someone says to you "Sorry I didnt see you".

You really are being very precious, aren't you. Suddenly after over 50 years of driving safely and with consideration for everyone around me, I'm suddenly going become a dangerous missile hitting people just because, for the first time in car ownership, my car is fitted with DRLs.

Some people, really!!
Some people really!!

>>
I wont ask your opinion of other "modern technology" like high level brake lights. :)
>> Some people really!!
>>
I wont ask your opinion of other "modern technology" like high level brake lights. :)

Well, for starters, they dazzle people behind.
Thoughts on DRL's - paulvm
Is it my imagination or do the Audi LED DRL's only show on the front? One passed me yesterday as I was out and about being a pedestrian and I was sure that no back lights were showing.
The jolly shape of the front LED's could lead to all sorts of possibilities, with LED's in different shapes accoridng to the make of car. Perhaps even subtle colour variations, just wait and see!
Thoughts on DRL's - Bilboman
Questions:
1. Will DRLs lead to people forgetting to switch on their "normal" lights when it gets really dark? (As so many do now with the brightly permanently lit dashboards, leading drivers to think their lights are on when they're not.)
2. Will rear lighting be included in the package? (It isn't in North America, and leads to the problems in 1.)
3. Any objection to motorcyclists being allowed to show yellow lights to the front (if they wish/in town/during daylight hours) to distinguish their bikes better against the sea of white LEDs? Just occurred to me that yellow is often more noticeable than white and so motorbikes could regain their "conspicuosness" this way. Clip on lenses or self adhesive yellow covers maybe? Just a thought...
To answer the first two questions:

1) naturally, I think the style of DRL currently being used should also go hand-in-hand with auto headlights, for that exact reason.

2) the new EU regs for DRLs only specify front lights. Therefore rear collisions never happen, well according to the EU anyway.
Thoughts on DRL's - Mr X
DRL... soon to be compulsory for all cars being produced ( from 2011) I believe. Just another set of rules and regulations to grind the motorist further in to the ground in the hope they give up and get the bus.
Wonder what the fine will be for the popped bulb on your DRL's... £30, £60, plus points ?

Calm down Mr X, the penalty will be the same as for any other light out - nil - not enough traffic police, and they have better things to do anyway.
Thoughts on DRL's - FP
"Just another set of rules and regulations to grind the motorist further in to the ground in the hope they give up and get the bus.
Wonder what the fine will be..."

It's difficult to know which he enjoys more: wallowing in his misery or being a prophet of doom.

But the most satisfying thing for him would be that, in the unlikely event of all this gloom and doom coming to pass, he could say, "I told you so."

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 03/04/2009 at 00:10

Thoughts on DRL's - Mr X
You'd be amazed just how many times I am proved right.
Thoughts on DRL's - FP
Is that a fact? How impressive! I admire your self-confidence. No, really!
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - OldSock
Back in the '80s 'dim-dip' headlights were in vogue (and may even have been compulsory), and seemed like an ideal compromise between excessive dipped beam and often-invisible sidelights.

They disappeared relatively quickly (revoked legislation?), but my '89 Citroën CX has them - and a jolly good idea they are too :-)

plus ça change.... as they say
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - Mr X
Can't help thinking that if this is being done in the name of safety, ( being seen ) then why don't the govt take the belt and braces approach and insist that pedestrians MUST wear reflective jackets / high vis vests depending on the weather and thus reduce the chances of accidents even further ? I take it some of you agree that pedestrians have a responsibility for their own safety as well ?
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - Old Navy
Many pedestrians use flashing cycle lights on their clothing (front and back) when walking on unlit rural roads in my area, a combination of self preservation and common sense. Dont you have common sense where you live Mr X?
If the object of DRL's is to saves lives, why no compulsory reflective clothing for all pedestrians, regardless of whether they live in the countryside or the town as an extra method of cutting road accidents. Is road safety only the responsibility of those driving a vehicle ?
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - FP
"Just another set of rules and regulations... Wonder what the fine will be..."

It seems Mr X doesn't like rules and regulations when they apply to the motorist. Indeed, he gets quite paranoid about it.

However:

"why no compulsory reflective clothing for all pedestrians"

suggests it's OK to do it to pedestrians. There would have to be a system of fines to back this up, of course.

Hm. Interesting.
Equal responsibility... not a lot to ask for surely ?
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - Old Navy
suggests it's OK to do it to pedestrians. There would have to be a system
of fines to back this up of course.

And a force of taxpayer funded "Fashion Police".
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - Hamsafar
Dim dips were not banned for technical reasons, but because they were deemed by the EU (European Union) and CP (Common Purpose) to give an unfair advantage to UK car makers. EU Rules mean a new car approved in any EU country doesn't need to be approved again in any other, and as the UK was the only country that mandated dim-dip, it was not enforceable.

Edited by Hamsafar on 03/04/2009 at 13:06

Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - Brian Tryzers
The argument that DRLs are bad for motorcyclists comes up every time we discuss this topic, but I confess I don't understand it. I can see that if I wanted to hit a motorcyclist, it might be harder if his light was just one among many, but not how it might make me fail to see him at all.

We might even see a reduction in the number of motorcyclists who weave through two lanes of 65mph traffic on busy motorways, perhaps because they think their bright lights make them conspicuous enough for that to be safe. I doubt it, though.
Thoughts on DRLs (Day Running Lights) - oldgit
Cynically, I suppose, we could rid the road of motorcyclists altogether and also make it law (yes, another one) for all pedal cyclists to wear high-vis jackets, helmets and have insurance - all this, just for starters.