Piaggio Ape - redviper
Ive just seen one of these whilst browsing round, and i wondered, would anyone serously consider one of these, which is nothing more than a 3 wheeled rickshaw - I would go as far to say that a Bedford Rascal would be a more versatile van?
Piaggio Ape - Pugugly
It would confirm this Country's decline if the streets became crowded with these. Just think Lamborghini and work your way up the Italian food chain !
Piaggio Ape - redviper
Thats what i thought, can you imagine these crowding our streets?
Piaggio Ape - stunorthants26
We already have the Mega van over here anyway, which is very similar in concept albeit with 4 wheels. Our local agricultural college runs a few.

You may mock, but Im quite sure many rick folk cant understand why anyone would want to drive around in a Ford Focus when a Rolls does it so much better.
If its cheap, highly visable and useful, it works for a small business. They work in other countries, so there is no reason at all why they wouldnt work here, aside from narrow-minded bores of course.
Piaggio Ape - Alby Back
Heh heh ! My suggestion is that it could be a last chance saloon type option for those who might otherwise have lost their licences on totted points or something. EG 12 points and you can only drive a 50cc Ape for a year........

;-)
Piaggio Ape - Sofa Spud
I should think there's a small niche market for such vehicles for very localised work. Maybe within the confines of a works site or for use in parks.

However, that niche would probably be one of the most suitable for the wider adoption of battery powered vehicles, where range isn't a priority.
Piaggio Ape - stunorthants26
>>I should think there's a small niche market for such vehicles for very localised work. Maybe within the confines of a works site or for use in parks. <<

They already are and have been for some time. Im not really sure why this is news - there are a couple in town that have large advertising boards on the back for mobile advertisment. They pop up everywhere.
Piaggio Ape - Pugugly
Ford Focus when a Rolls does it so much better.

I used to go to work in a 40 grand BMW and ditched it for a 12k Skoda - and used it very happily for 18 months........believe me there is a difference however you look at it ! In fact looking at it is one way !

Mind you it fulfilled a function - saved me a wedge of cash but I rather glad its gone now.

EDIT:

I'd have to be just as dead to be seen in a Roller as an Ape !

Edited by Pugugly on 30/03/2009 at 21:50

Piaggio Ape - Old Navy
The Italian olive farmers descend twisty, single track, mountain roads engine off, (they go faster). Scary, you cant hear them coming. Going up you can hear them for miles on a still day. Many use them as daily drivers.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/03/2009 at 21:30

Piaggio Ape - Mr X
I saw them at the motor show one year. One was a dustcart, one was a mobile coffee / sandwich van and one was an ice cream van. The coffee was excelent and piping hot, brewed whilst you waited.
Piaggio Ape - Armitage Shanks {p}
And why is it called an APE I hear you cry? Ape is the Italian for bee and as you have guessed Vespa is the Italian for wasp.
Piaggio Ape - PR {P}
Thats right, and is pronounced "ah-pay"
Piaggio Ape - Lud
And what, pray, is the sporting variant called?

The Ape-Merda perhaps?
Piaggio Ape - Rattle
I've seen quite a few of these in Manchester. I think they are used when rival gangs want to turture other gang members or something.

Either way these vehicles are nothing new.