91 1.0 - Too much oil...consequences of driving? - MikeOxford
Hey guys,
I own a 1991 Suzuki Swift coupe 1.0.
It has some oil leaks and I need to check the oil from time to time, always putting a bit to compensate for the leaks.
I'm an absolute ignorant regarding cars.
Yesterday, I put TOO MUCH.
Went to work, but after 2 blocks the car started smoking from the exhaust and from the air filter. I turn it off immediately. I pushed it back home.

I need to know how high are the chances I ruined my car for good.
Tomorrow I'll drain all the oil and put back some new one.

Do you reckon that's enough? I mean, after I change the oil, can I just drive it (if it starts)?

Thank you very much guys, I'm pretty freaked out, for I have no money to repair it or buy another one !

Edited by rtj70 on 27/03/2009 at 11:20

too much oil...consequences of driving - DP
You probably don't have a catalytic converter which is good news, as that wouldn't have liked the burning oil.

Overfilling with oil puts stress on oil seals. You may find you have new oil leaks that you didnt have before. Drain the oil, fill to the correct level and try it.

The biggest issue will be if the rear crank oil seal has popped, as that will contaminate the clutch plates and cause judder / slip. I suspect however you'll get away with it, albeit maybe with one or two new (or slightly worse) oil leaks.
too much oil...consequences of driving - MikeOxford
Thanks very much for your reply DP.
Unfortunately I do have a catalytic converter.
Today I'll drain all the oil, refill it to the appropriate level, and give it a try.
I'll post the result.
Thanks again !
I took away some of the oil and checked the meter until it was right.
The car smoked a bit and now is OK !!!!!!!
I need to change the oil and air filters... and this will be over.
Will be more careful from now on.
Thanks !
too much oil...consequences of driving - Dave_TD
checked the meter until it was right

I do hope you mean you checked the oil level on the dipstick? Even if a '91 Swift has an oil level gauge (I would be surprised if it has) I wouldn't trust it.
Yes Dave, I checked the oil on the dipstick. It looks OK now.
Thanks.