00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Rattle
I might be buying a car but I don't want to get into that yet, there has been enough said and enough advice given so far on other threads of mine, I just have a very specific question according to HJ this engine is a chain cam can somebody confirm this? Its never had a cambelt change and I think HJ has the answer to why.

Its the 1.2 16V unit found in the Corsa. I always knew the 1.0 was a chain cam but I assumed the 1.2 was the same as the 1.4 16v.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/03/2009 at 23:15

00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Pugugly
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_0_engine

Sure its a 16v and not a 3 Cyl 12v. If its the latter seems to be chain drive.
Its 1.2 16v for certain :). It did sound like a chain driven car too because when I had a good listen to it one of my doubts was it was a little noisy for a belt driven engine as it sounded just like my dads chain driven Endura.

I really don't get on with the 1.0 Corsas (from experience) just not enough torque there for me.

As far as I know the Corsa B had:-

1.0 12v - chain driven
1.2 8v - belt driven
1.4 8v - belt driven]
1.2 16v -??
1.4 16v- belt driven
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - rtj70
Ask Vauxhall dealer tomorrow?
From CBCB, HJ says:

"74bhp 1.2 16v engine is also chain-cam."

So you're probably right in saying the cambelt has never been changed. It does not have one? And your own ears make you think it has a chain-cam.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/03/2009 at 23:39

Yep I read that Rob its why I made this post. I just wanted a double confirmation as both me and the seller thought it had a cambelt and this was going to be discussed as it has never been done, if HJ is right there is no cambelt to replace. I am not questioning HJ but little mistakes can be made.

I just thought people here would have worked on this engine so could confirm one way or another.

If nobody replies, get the VIN and ask Vauxhall?

Although DD will tell us it's a Suzuki 1.2 16v and it is a chain cam.... ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 26/03/2009 at 23:51

Thanks Rob I will do :). I am thinking this may be the same engine which has had reports of cambelt snappages but I don't think the older ones were affected and the incidents seem to only affect a very very tiny percentage so I am not going to let that put me off.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Dynamic Dave
Although DD will tell us it's a Suzuki 1.2 16v and it is a chain cam.... ;-)

Someone beat me to it!!
DD, I found that from your response to the same question on a Corsa forum ;-)
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Another John H
How are the worry beads, Rattle?

I know you're looking at a Corsa "B", but have you been following the thread about Corsa "C" camshafts? (Camshafts snapping prematurely).

Also, if you can hear the chain, has the oil been changed regularly enough? - "chain cam" chains break if the oil hasn't been kept clean enough.

00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Lud
Rattle: why didn't you look at the engine? It is always immediately apparent whether an engine has a belt or chain driven camshaft or camshafts.

A belt drive is outside the engine and will be covered usually by a plastic or pressed sheet metal cover. A chain drive will be inside the engine. That is because a belt must be kept free of oil contamination while a chain needs constant lubrication with engine oil.

It amazes me that you appear to have extensive theoretical knowledge of some mechqanical matters but don't think of looking at real engines in real cars, and even getting grease on your fingers.

All car freaks are barmy but some are barmier than others (no offence of course).
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - oilrag
Did you mention grease, Lud?
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - bell boy
these cam chain cars only take 3 litres of oil when on the maximum
they need at least checking weekly to make sure they dont lose any of this as otherwise the engines are scrap in no time
ie a weekly oil check if just pootling around
most people dont check oil levels anymore which is good for garages but not for punters
these engines dont like low oil or water be warned as i said on the other side red antifreeze too too,do NOT top up with something you found under the sink
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - yorkiebar
Engine code?

Edited by yorkiebar on 29/03/2009 at 14:17

Great so this engine is not quite as tough as I thought it was then? The engine sounds healthy enough so as longs as I get the oil change done on Weds when its booked in and make sure I keep a good check on it I would probably get a way with it wouldn't I?

There isn't any smoke at all but the engine dosn't sound silent but most engines don't.

The problem its not really worth getting the chain does is it? Unless it starts to rattle badly. I probably need to get about 5000 miles which will take me up to 18 months time.

I think all I can do is just service it keep a check on antifreeze (its red atm but don't know when it was last changed) and make sure that oil is topped up. I won;t worry about if the chain is ok etc. My dads chain has always had a little rattle and has never been an issue since we have had it.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Surely you were your Dad's "Little Rattle?" Sorry! At work and very bored! Seriously, changing the oil in the engine is obviously a good idea but it won't undo any wear/damage that may have occurred in it's earler life when or if oil changes were neglected.
Clearly the engine probably does have some wear (it dosn';t sound new) but it dosn't sound like a bag of spanners either. I've just had a quick look at the camshaft through the oil filler and it all looks fine no sign of any wear on that, so hopefully by checking the oil and making sure its changed I will get some more life out of it.

I knew when I bought it would never be good for mega miles, I only do a maximum of 3000 miles a year so if I get two years out of it its fine.
Just been out for a listen run and it really is fine. I also found the service log it has had 5 oil changes upto 55k but then there has been one missing, it was done again at 65k so it really really needs doing now.

The only rattle is from the cheap GM dashboard.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - andyp
If you do lots of short journeys i would change it every 6 months. Vauxhalls own oil is good value !
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - Armitage Shanks {p}
With respect Rattle, I don't think you can come to any useful conclusion about the general state of a camshaft, or any wear on it, by looking at one section of it thru the oil filler in the rocker box!
Shanks I know but it looked clean etc. I've just put some GM 10/40 semi synth in it as it was a bit below max before, its on max now.

With regards to the chain I am just going to leave well alone unless it starts to get rattely. I can't here any chain rattling atm. As you know I've been down this road before with cars worring about every single noise so with this one I am not going to that, I will setup a fund in case anything major goes, stick on a 6 month oil change routine and just hope for the best.
For heaven's sake, Rattle. Why on earth do you imagine a new chain will be needed? A small amount of tinkling or chittering is completely normal with an engine with some miles on it. But only if the noise reaches unseemly levels is any action called for.
Thanks Lud, Bell Boy's comment about the oil just scared me a little but hopefully the comment will also stop me from recking the engine :).

00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - quizman
If you turn your radio to Radio 1 or Kerrang with the volume up, this will cure any imaginary problems.
Always listen to bell boy if you can make out what he is saying. And if most of your motoring is urban pootling, don't delay oil changes.

At least your camshaft should be all right.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - bell boy
Always listen to bell boy if you can make out what he is saying.

>
>>>>>>>>>> :-000000000 )

kerattle
chains on these depend on oil pressure for chain tension and its not a good design,this and the fact it only has 3 litres is why i say keep topped up (the engines are pretty tight )
Yes, make the weekly oil checks. But don't overfill it with oil. Be careful.

What bb is saying in effect, and what many of us would say, is that different cars have slightly different maintenance requirements that you have to get right. But it isn't usually at all difficult if you are methodical. And what you shouldn't do is worry unduly about anything that hasn't yet shown itself to be a problem (a tendency of yours apparently). The car should improve your life, not blight it.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - mbah4
I am unsure if the Corsa B version of the 1.2 engine is the same as the 16valve 1.2 engine in the Corsa A (1999 model) which my wife and then my daughter had. Engine code x12xe and it was defnitely a chain cam engine. It still runs like a train with no engine problems at all despite having done more than 90000 miles. The car was (is) a great runner provided you drove only in straight lines.

Its the only car I have ever had where understeer reached full lock when pushed hard on slow corners. Frankly whenever you drove it hard you felt like you should have launched the lifeboats first. I think that the Corsa B with a wider track was a lot better in that regard. Enjoy it and don't worry if you do buy it.
There is some confusion here I think :)

It is the x12xe engine but its the Corsa A in your eyes. The Nova was sold as a Corsa in Europe and that was the Corsa A, the Corsa B is what we Brits know as the Corsa MK1.

I am only really driving in the city so the way it handles it not a major issue but when I start driving longer distances I should hopefully be able to afford a newer car anyway.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - mbah4
The exact definition of Corsa's into A,B,C,D etc has always seemed flaky to me. The version I referrred to was the 1998 -99 minor facelift with vauxhall v badge front, suspension uprated and anti roll bars fitted as standard plus Lotus revalving of the shockers.

My wife's was an automatic which has a delightful litte auto box, still smooth as ever at 90K plus. However the auto version has a different oil filter to the manual varsion (old style element to be renewed) and I don't know if this may influence the oil starvation issues. Either way it coped with motorway drives of several hundred miles very capably.
00 1.2 16V - Chain cam? - slowdown avenue
the chains on this model are a big issue. i bought a 1.2 corsa 1999 18 months ago .test drove it sweet as a nut ,low milage 29k the first day of ownership the oil light came on. the iol pump packed in. had it replaced but didnt change the chain, indy said it was ok, shortly after it started rattling, been like that for a further 20,000. use 10 /40 semi syn change 6monthly , watch out for water leeks
Just bad luck that :) but if you've done 20k ona rattely chain it does indicate the chains will take some wear before they snap. With all my cars I check the coolant/oil/brake fluid and tyres weekly anyway :).