Which car - Alex147
Hi

i am looking to replace my car and have narrowed it down to BMW 330i \ 330d or a Subaru Legacy. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were, especially on the Legacy, which at the moment looks great value for money used.

I would love the 3.0 Legacy, but understand they are really thirsty? The BMW i know is okay, as i used to run a 328i some years back and averaged 30mpg. Also. BMWs tend to make the driving experience feel special.

any comments \ thoughts \advice most welcome
Which car - gordonbennet
I'd be happy with any of those, if you drive enthusiastically in the wet then maybe the Legacy makes better sense, similarly if your regular routes are slippery country roads.

Subaru's are fine cars and i considered a 3 litre meself, in the back of my mind though there nags the fact there's no GSF/Eurocarparts etc for them, and fine cars or not, they'll all need discs, pads, shockers etc at some point, not saying you can't get good aftermarket stuff, but maybe not so easily.

Maybe be flexible for any of them but be ready for when that combination of everything you want, colour, interior, history, spec all come together at a bargain not to be missed price and snap it up.

Times i've missed really good value cars because i've been stubbornly looking for my required combination in one model only.
Which car - oldtoffee
I had a Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate which I traded in for a Legacy diesel - the company car tax and fuel bills being the main reasons. If you see low 20's mpg you'll be doing well but it is a hoot to drive with massive grip and traction helped a bit by the Bilstein suspension - corners flat, great steering. Downside? Slightly firm ride (not as hard as a BMW 320D M Sport that I tested) and road noise and tyre rumble transmit through to the cabin at high speeds. The Spec B comes wth just about every extra except auto and sat nav. I had the auto; if I had one again I'd have the manual - quicker.

I've driven a 330d auto and to me it felt as quick as the Legacy auto once moving. Having now had 4WD in last two cars and enjoying the extra traction, grip and feeling of security I don't think I'd ever go back to 2WD. But if I did, a 330i is the type of car and engine that would do it. Or a 335i in a few more years!