Which used car to buy? - rickyp2
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hoping that someone can help me by giving me some advice about what type of used car might be suitable for me.

The background is that I'm looking to spend £10k-£12k on a used car to replace my current car, which is an X reg 2.0L VW New Beetle. I probably only drive around 5,000 miles per year and this is mostly on long journeys that take place on dual and single carriageways.

The reason for wanting to change is partly because there are times on single carriageways when it would be really handy to have a more powerful car that could quickly zip around people going slowly in front of me, and partly just that I've had the Beetle for 4 years and feel like its time for a change to something a bit faster and more comfortable.

The only other needs that I have are that it has to be an automatic, I don't want it to any less room in that back for adults or boot space than the Beetle, I don't want an Estate car and we like the idea of a BMW / Mercedes / Audi type car more than a Ford / Toyota / Vauxhall type. We've never driven sports cars before so suspect that things like how well the car handles when you throw it round corners don't matter so much to us.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what sort of car might suit us?

Thanks,

RickyP
Which used car to buy? - ifithelps
How about a Honda Civic?

My brother has a petrol auto which goes really well and has plenty of toys, including paddle shift for the gerarbox if you get bored with auto setting.

It certainly has the overtaking urge you seek, but I think the ride is harsh and would suggest you have a go in one and make up your own mind about that.

Your budget should get a fairly new one, whereas I'm not sure you will get much BMW/Merc/Audi for your money.
Which used car to buy? - ablandy
at that budget 2nd hand you could get a lot. How about old shape 3 series 330 convertibles? Loads under 10k.

old shape jaguar xk? Mercedes clks?

You can get new shape bmw 3 series from cargiant for under 10k. They have a 67k mile 325 for about £11.5k

Or even the cadillac mentioned on the other thread - 3.6l auto for about 7k

audi A6 were quite reasonable last time i looked.
Just be wary of diesels with dpf - your low mileage could work against you although you do say those miles are mostly long journeys so prob ok.
Which used car to buy? - DP
Another vote for the 330 convertible.

A friend has an old shape (E46) manual version on a 52 plate, and he's delighted with it. It goes like stink (230-something bhp) and yet comfortably returns mpg figures in the low 30's on his commute. His has also been completely and utterly reliable.

£9k will get you a nice 2003-2004 car with 50k or less on the clock.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 26/03/2009 at 10:55

Which used car to buy? - Mapmaker
You drive 5k per annum mostly on dual carriageways and have 10-12k to spend.

Observations.

1. At 40mpg, the petrol will cost you £500. At even 20mpg, that's only an extra £500 (which in the context of your car buying budget is immaterial). Fuel economy is thus irrelevant.

2. With all (I know it's not much, but that's what you do) that dual carriageway driving, you want a nice comfortable motor.

3. You want some power if you want to do overtaking.

So, I suggest a 3 litre engined saloon. S-type Jaguar - 2005 within your budget? Subaru Legacy Saloon SpecB - 2006?
Which used car to buy? - rickyp2
Thanks very much for everyone's suggestions so far.

In terms of reliability should I in general be any more concerned about getting a 4-5 year old car (such as the suggested BMW) as opposed to a newer, 2-3 year old car?

Thanks,

RickyP
Which used car to buy? - jbif
should I in general be any more concerned about getting a 4-5 year old car (such as the suggested BMW) as opposed to a newer, 2-3 year old car? >>

IMO, no.

But search for reliability data for previous years [by the likes of warrantydirect, and J D Power, and Whatcar ] for BMW 3 series to confirm.

Which used car to buy? - Bagpuss
I would second (or third) the BMW 330i in either Coupe or Convertible form. If you want more of a cruiser you could also consider the 530i which is likely to be similarly priced, almost as good to drive as a 3 Series but with a better ride.

Reliability wise, look for a complete service history and keep it stamped up. My last company car was a BMW 530d which had 150,000km on the clock when it went back. Never missed a beat and, apart from the stone chips, polished up virtually as new.

Alternatively the Subaru Legacy has a nice 3.0 litre flat six engine and 4wd but I personally wasn't keen on the interior.