1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - AshT
It looks like my endowment (discussed in a previous IHAQ thread) is finally going to be surrendered. The value shows I'll have more than enough to get my central heating done, leaving around £3000 spare in my pocket.
As the MOT is due fairly soon on the Espace (L reg TD with 190k) I'm not sure whether to hold money over to have work done, sell it and get a similar car now, or invest in something a bit newer (yes, I know "invest" is the wrong word for an Espace). SWMBO has seen a 2000 model TD Espace at a local dealer for £1800 and is trying to convince me I should go and see it - service history, lots of toys, a year's MOT and 6 months' tax, just over 120k. Big question - should I even consider it, or replace the current car with something similar, or stick with what I've got? I really like our current Espace, and it's been very reliable mechanically, but it is starting to seem a little tired and I can see a big bill looming at the MOT.
I've driven most of the alternatives, and none of them have the same level of comfort and driver appeal that the Espace has. By the way, before anyone asks, yes, we do need a 7 seater, and yes, it does have to be a diesel due to the miles we do.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/03/2009 at 10:20

1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - Marc
At that age it might be worth hanging on and seeing if some sort of scrappage scheme is introduced.

Would a 2000 Espace be any more reliable than the one you have? Devil you know and all that. There was a thread on here last week about someone offloading an 04 (I think) Scenic because trouble loomed - he bought an even older VW!

Edited by Marc on 23/03/2009 at 15:34

1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - oldnotbold
"SWMBO has seen a 2000 model TD Espace at a local dealer for £1800 and is trying to convince me I should go and see it - service history, lots of toys, a year's MOT and 6 months' tax, just over 120k."

What a horrible prospect - sink nearly £2k into a car that can easily throw up a £1k bill, which you then have to swallow, as you've got £2k tied up in it.

My advice - keep the current one running if you can do so by paying no more than it's worth (£400 odd, perhaps?). The big bill at the next MoT might not materialise just yet, and that £1.8k one could be a total dog.

Then save up some more, and go and spend £5k in a years' time.
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - madf
A year 2000 Renault turbo diesel engine ? Run a mile.. Built in faults .
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - DP
There was a thread on here last week about someone offloading
an 04 (I think) Scenic because trouble loomed - he bought an even older VW!

'Twas me.

I wouldn't own another modern Renault out of warranty. Lovely cars, but everything costs a fortune, and very little can be done DIY. In fact many jobs are so damn "aaaarggh" that even mechanic friends didn't want to touch it. Including the clutch that we ended up paying a grand to replace. As a car, I couldn't fault it. Drove well, comfy, refined, well screwed together, well equipped, brilliant engine, practical etc etc. Just melted the wallet when it broke.

Other things like parts not being available separately (complete £300 window regulator needs to be changed for the sake of a £2 piece of plastic breaking, nobody sells CV joints separately, so you need an entire new driveshaft if it goes, the power steering motors aren't available separately, so you need a £1000 steering column etc etc. These will be appearing in breakers at 6-7 years old with one relatively minor fault. I'd put money on it.

Re the Espace you are considering, 1998-2003 ish was apparently Renault's "really dodgy" phase as well.

I only went the VW route because I can get them serviced and repaired (by a VW tech) for next to nothing. Nice car as it turns out. Fast, comfy, good to drive and stupidly economical.
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - stunorthants26
Im no Renault fan but id second the idea of keeping your existing car because the new car may cost you far more - presumably you have already spent a fair bit on the current car to get it to where it is today, so thats your investment and id hang onto it so you benefit and maybe put a bit more money towards the investment.
Thanks for the feedback everyone - confirms my thoughts about the 2000 Espace really - lovely car but........

The only real reason for considering selling or trading in the current car is that it has cost me nothing up to this point, and I would like to change it before it starts costing money (I'm a pessimist, being a Renault owner does that to you). The car has been mechanically flawless since we bought it, needing nothing more than a set of brake pads, a flush of the cooling system, and an oil/filter change every 6k.

Putting the idea of the 2000 car to one side, I think finding a car the same age as mine in really good mechanical order is unlikely. Presumably I'm left with two options - finding a newer car with a warranty or spending money on mine. I think having a pre-MOT assessment would be sensible before looking too hard for a replacement?

Just looked on Autotrader though - quite tempted by a couple that have come up locally. Would anyone hazard a guess on what (if any) trade in I'd get for the current car?
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - Alby Back
Nooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

Sorry , for a minute there I thought you said you were thing of buying another diesel Espace......

No one should do that.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 23/03/2009 at 19:06

1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - barneybear
You are unlikley to get anything trade in. I have an 06 Grand Espace 2.2 Cdi and love it - certainly would get another - infact ordered one, but have had to put on hold due to cash-flow problem, so looks like Sept now. - will be more than the £3000 you have!
Given talk of car scrapage scheme I would wait a little - get service/MOT done by Nationwide with £49 MOT gaurentee first, spend no more than £500 on it if you must. Once scheme comes into play you can decide if you can afford to do it. Do try and get Espace form 2004 onwards if possible when they started to make them in their own factory rather than elsewhere.
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - boxsterboy
The only real reason for considering selling or trading in the current car is that
it has cost me nothing up to this point and I would like to change
it before it starts costing money >>

So you've got money 'in the bank' so to speak. Motoring is never free, and if you now start to pay slightly more to keep the old girl on the road, you'll be in the same position as everyone else. I would keep her.

Re. talk of scrappage scheme - don't think this will apply to the OP with his (current) budget of £3,000.
Very good point Boxsterboy - I'm sure too that what does wrong will be cheaper to put right than on a newer Espace. I'll keep the current car for the time being, and update all on the cost of the MOT (once I'm over the shock).

I drove past the dealer in question last night - the Espace that herself looked at isn't on the forecourt any more, so that option's off the list now.

Unfortunately as said, even with the scrappage scheme a new Espace is out out of reach.

Thanks again to all for the advice - much appreciated.

p.s. >>Nooooooooooooooooooo !!!!! Sorry , for a minute there I thought you said you were thing of buying another diesel Espace......No one should do that.

Humph - is that you Dad? ;)
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - Avant
Humph had endless trouble with a diesel Espace and has since run a diesel Mondeo estate for hundreds of thousands of miles without trouble. His view is understandable!
Apologies Humph - no offence intended. My father has a similar attitude towards Renault ownership (the Espace is my third Renault) and made a similar comment when I turned up at his house in the Espace.
1993 TD - sell, trade in, or keep it? - Alby Back
None taken. I just don't want anyone to have to go through the misery I did !

Still have the nervous tic whenever the E word crops up.......

;-)