New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - lucklesspedestrian
Basically we're at an age now where the kids are starting to leave the nest and swmbo really doesn't need to be driving around in the sensible, practical old Japanese barges with big boots we tend to always end up buying.

I'd therefore like to buy her something moderately funky (for want of a better expression) for the 15 mile round trip to work and the odd school run.

She might need to carry 2 kids from time to time so a 2 seater is out, but a stylish coupe maybe around the 6 or 7K mark sounds just the ticket.

We had thought of:

Hyundai Coupe: Plus points: looks/cost Negatives: cheapo interior
Audi TT: Plus points it's an Audi TT Negatives: Space in the rear/have to buy an older one for the price/the thought of swmbo running about in a car with 180 or goodness help us 225 bhp scares me frankly..!
BMW 3 series coupe....I honestly just don't get BMW's (apart for a perverse hankering after a 1999 or thereabouts 7 series!) they look nice in gold though!
Mini: Plus points: the wife really likes them. Negatives: seems to be reliability issues?
Saab 9-3 convertible: I think we'll have to test drive one. The only time I've sat in a 9-3 it seemed incredibly cramped and claustrophobic inside.

Anyone got any other suggestions as I really worry that we'll end up taking the sensible/predictable route and buying a focus or a Golf and then regretting it every time we see one of the above?

ps: I've discounted the Mazda RX 8 due to the engine reliability/fuel consumption issues otherwise..........

Ta

Steve

Edited by Webmaster on 22/03/2009 at 03:11

New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - catsdad
Previous model Astra soft-top? Seem cheap now that folding hard tops are in vogue. On Saab 9-3 I assume you are aware of bulkhead issues in cars to 2002 - been covered elsewhere on this site. If you find it cramped though (as its one of the biggest covertibles) maybe you need to re-think?
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - Roger Jones
You're not daring to choose it for her, I trust. Women seem to like convertibles; I don't like the vulnerability of the hood (vandals, not least). If the hood doesn't open and close with consummate ease, she won't like it (breaking fingernails, etc.). I bet you'll end up with a Mini, which does seem to be a favourite on the distaff side -- image, compactness, nippy driving, nostalgia, etc.
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - ifithelps
How about a PT Cruiser?

Your budget will run to a fairly late diesel tin top, or a 2.4 petrol convertible.

I've never sat in one, but they got quite a good press a few years ago - proper car, despite the oddball looks, so we were told.
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - gordonbennet
Out of your suggestions i'd plump for the Hyundai coupe, top spec 2.7 auto will still be under warranty after you've bought it, and most unlikely to go wrong.

Would lady LP consider a Toyota Celica, very pretty, relatively rare quality motor.

Mini's really are too populous now, and far too expensive for a very ordinary small car IMO.

EDIT....ah FD we have similar thoughts...my commiserations.;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2009 at 20:11

New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - Manatee
>>How about a PT Cruiser?

Sounds sort of appropriate for a Steely Dan fan...though I always suspected the PT of being all hat and no cattle - a Royal Scam?

But I've no real basis for that and the CBC write-up is reasonable.

Edited by Manatee on 20/03/2009 at 23:50

>>How about a PT Cruiser?
Sounds sort of appropriate for a Steely Dan fan...though I always suspected the PT of
being all hat and no cattle - a Royal Scam?
But I've no real basis for that and the CBC write-up is reasonable.

always nice when someone gets the username, Manatee. There should probably be a reference to 'Can't Buy a Thrill' in there somewhere too!
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - FocusDriver
Luckless, for 6-7k why not think about a 54/05 Toyota Celica? If you stick with the non T-Sport version, then I understand reliability is very good. If she's very tall then there might be headroom issues however.

Good luck with breaking the mould!
mmm, thought about the Celica and the reliability appeals to my sensible side, however I've just noticed that the Alfa GT is almost in our price range. Might be a bit blokey though, I'm going to have to remember that this is not for me!

Gorgeous car for the money though, I'll wait 'till she's finished watching Eastenders and show her a few well chosen pics...in red I think!
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - GroovyMucker
Well

every time I drive SWMBO's 1.6 Focus, I get a smile on my face

it's only boring until you drive it
New car for SWMBO. Any thoughts - Lud
She might like a new or fairly new urban zipster, a highish-spec, well-nippy small Citroen, Fiat or similar. Most people would probably. Grande Punto Sporting or Abarth sort of thing, dressed down in demure little-black-dress fashion if you see what I mean.
praise be...she really likes the Alfa GT

...just have to find a good 'un now!