Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Chips with everything
Hi,

I bought a Picasso recently with a 12 month MOT, as well a 12 month warranty.

The car was needed somewhat urgently due to family circumstances, so for piece of mind I booked a AA inspection. A few minor things came up, along with the more disturbing "those front brakes are an MOT failure mate".

My first course of action was to contact the garage with a view to them arranging and paying for the cost of the parts and labour. Long story short and after a barrage of abuse from said trader (who would appear to be bipolar, due to his change in viewpoint regarding customer service!), I am now looking for somewhere to report him for issuing 'dodgy' MOT's.

To complicate matters, the trader doesn't do the MOT's (this is backed up by the details on the MOT) - so any advice offered as to who to complain to about either/both would be appreciated.

I appreciate that I should have got the car inspected prior to purchase, but unfortunately that was not an option.

Thanks!

Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Falkirk Bairn
VOSA take MoT issues
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - 832ark
What exactly was wrong with the front brakes?
Thanks for the replies.

The AA inspector said that the discs and pads were shot and would be an MOT failure.

Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - oldnotbold
How many miles had you driven between purchase and inspection?
Just over 600 miles done between purchase and inspection.
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Rattle
I don't think you will get any where as 600 is enough between a pass and a fail. You could argue an advisory should have been issued. I think the best thing to do is call VOSA and see what they say.

I always believe honest traders should do a proper vehicle check anyway as it is not good for business this sort of thing.
I doubt that brakes could go from pass to fail in 600 miles unless he did all 600 on a track day. If they were low, but just legal, on the date of test a good tester would have passed with an advisory, surely?
Yep but there is a big trick being going on here none of my dads or any cars we have bought had an advisory. The MOT inspectors always seem to issue the advisory on the failsheet and when it gets remoted they don't bother putting the stuff on the advisory.

The OP needs to check the MOT record on the internet to see if it does indeed have an advisory for the brakes, if it does the trader could be in some trouble.
The pass certificate has a yes/no box for advisories, I believe.
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - pd
If the brakes are on the advisory it makes not a jot of difference as if it passed the MOT and had not covered any more miles prior to sale then as far as the trader is concerned they sold a roadworthy car.

An advisory is just that - it does not make it not roadworthy.

Call up the details on www.motinfo.gov.uk and see if it reveals anything further. You could also call the MOT centre (number on the MOT) and ask to speak to whoever did the MOT.

Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Dave N
So what did the AA inspection report actually say?

Discs worn (what thickness)?
Discs corroded?
Pads worn (again, what thickness)?
Calipers sticking?
It doesn't go into that much detail and certainly doesn't quote what the AA man said.

All the report mentions is this:

"The front/rear brake discs are very worn and a distinct wear lip is evident at the inner and outer circumferences. It is not possible to measure the discs for conformity to specification, but in all probability this has been exceeded. Although the discs are not causing any operational problems, replacement is required. "

However, from speaking to my mechanic the AA man's reaction is a tad OTT and there's "a good 6 months left" yet.

I'll replace them in the next month though.

Thanks.
It does indeed but for some reason MOT inspectors will often only note the advisory on the fail sheet and not the pass one.
Thanks oldnotbold, nearly spilt the tea at the thought of doing 600 miles in the Picasso on a track day!

I've just come back from a friend of mine (who'se qualified to do MOT's) and it all turns out to be a false alarm. A good 6 months left on both pads and discs, so Mr.AA man seems to have been a bit keen.

Interesting thought though, if in the situation you describe I agree they would surely have got an advisory. As far as I know, everything tested has to be able in all likelyhood to last the next 12 months.

Perhaps I'll raise this with my MOT guy.

Thanks.

p.s. mental note - must reply in threaded next time!

Edited by Chips with everything on 16/03/2009 at 19:58

How can they expect anything to last a year after an MOT? You could fit brand new tyres on MOT day, if you do 40k a year they will probably ilegal in 6 months.

The MOT is only fit for the purpose on the day its tested and even then you would be surprised in what they miss.

My old Fiesta for example had quite a bit of play in the steering, the ball joint was probably worn, the MOT guy said there was play but it was so within the allowed margins it didn't even warrant an advisory. Some MOT people may have failed it on that. An MOT really comes down to an opinion. You should complain to AA if your discs are ok because if they said it would not pass an MOT and it would they have done their job properly.
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Bromptonaut
IMO there is a fair degree of subjectivity in testing disc wear.

With time and right instrumentation it's possible to measure the thickness of a disc and how true it is. At best the inspector removed all four road wheels, but more likely checked using a mirror and feel.
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - zookeeper
i didnt think that MOT tests involved removing parts to assist in inspection?
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - Bromptonaut
Sorry, lack of clarity on my part. Meant the AA inspector
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - martint123
i didnt think that MOT tests involved removing parts to assist in inspection?

Indeed - if the disc and/or pads are not easily visible or measurable without dismantling anything then they are unable to make a judgement on them.

The pass/fail if done on the rolling road (of antiquated brake test meter)
Brakes : MOT vs AA inspection - 1400ted
I would not take the report of an inspector from either of the 2 big organisations as gospel I have had various customers bring cars for post inspection work which clearly didn't need doing. On one occasion an item not even fitted to the car was reported as 'not working'.
....courtesy light switches on a 78 Civic...there weren't any !
Mot inspector can't remove things from the car, so....wheel trims to check if all wheel nuts are there, shopping in boot to check for corrosion...etc, etc.
Ted