Tyre wear and Treadwear number - danidge
I have just replaced ChampiroBXT tyres on the front of 1998 Nissan Primera Estate. Tyres had a treadwear 520 I replaced them after 56000 miles - were not worn out but had tread of about 2-2.5mm. Using this treadwear suggestes Michelin with treadwear 400 should last over 40000 miles, Goodyere treadwear 240 should exceed 24000 miles. How does this tie in with other peoples experience on validity of treadwear number and tyre wear?
Tyre wear and Treadwear number - Drivenman

I have a Mercedes E350 CDi, tyres have a Treadwear rating of 200 and are going to need to be changed soon at around 20,000 miles. Also have a Tiguan 2.0 with a 300 Treadwear tyres which got to 35,000 before wearing out, but the car is driven quite gently by my wife. Finally, have a Defender with 400 Treadwear tyres. After 10,000 miles they're about a quarter worn. So in the round I think you're onto something

Tyre wear and Treadwear number - daveyjp
There is no EU test or wear rate, so any figure has to be taken with a pinch of salt and tyres with similar ratings do not necessarily last a similar amount of mileage.

I had Pirellis on my Jag, the fronts did 18,000, swapped with Goodyear of a similar rating , about 250 and they did just 8,000. No changes to trip types.

Aygo had Contis rated at 250, if I hadn't swapped front to back the fronts would have done about 10,000. Even with a swap all four were changed after 12,000 miles, which for a lightweight city car is terrible. Toyos are barely worn after 8,000, rated at 400.

Tyre wear and Treadwear number - RT

ignore the Treadwear Number - it has no relevance in Europe as it's a North American-only requirement and there's no meaningful relationship between different brands as they can all do their own thing - it's even more misleading if you look on non-European websites as North American versions of familiar tyres are made with different compound.

North America tyre (tire) brands uses a guaranteed mileage basis of 40,000 / 60,000 / 80,000 / 100,000 miles - they can only achive this by very hard-wearing compounds but these inevitably have lower grip.

Tyre wear and Treadwear number - gordonbennet

DaveyJP, that is low mileage, just removed 4 Contis from family Aygo @ 18k miles @ just under 4mm tread left, rotated once during life, replaced with Vred Quatracs be interesting to see how they fare.

RT, i agree about US tyres, i had to remove the standard US tyres from my Camaro despite very slow wear because it was like driving with 4 wheel steering in the wet, replaced with some standard European tyres the make of which i forget transformed the cars handling.

I seldom take any notice of tyre wear ratings, i usually decide by grip comfort noise cost in that order, when they're worn out they get replaced, if they've performed to my requirements i may buy them again irrespective how long they have lasted within reason.

Tyre wear and Treadwear number - Drivenman

All useful stuff, thanks. Suggests that whetever correlation I thought I was getting is probably illusory, although worth adding that none of my cars is fwd only, which drive system does tend to chew up the front tyres.

But the real question re Europe is why under the three European tyre ratings, A-G for economy, noise and wet performance a rating for wear wasn't added.

Tyre wear and Treadwear number - Hamsafar

The EU tyre rating was originally just for (environmental) energy efficiency and noise, it was the makers who rejected this and called for a wet grip rating too, as the two are compromises of one another.