Fumoto oil drain valve with poor pics.. - gordonbennet
Well it looked a nice day today, and not blowing a gale as it usually is when i decide to perform an interim oil change.

So oil change done, and at the same time i fitted the Fumoto quick drain valve which i bought last year.

Hopefully this will make future oil changes much easier, as the normal sump bung manages to drip half the oil onto the cross member resulting in oil drips all over the place and an even bigger mess on the concrete (which has really suffered this winter) than i usually make.
For safety's sake i'm going to get a new 5/8th" jubilee clip and nip it up just in case something gets tangled up and undo's the sprung safety clip.

The link is hopefully to my photobucket album, i'm bound to have messed something up, so if the link goes to Saucy Sarah's homepage don't blame me..;)

Took a few odd snaps of the underside of the old banger for anyone interested, note the state of the exhaust, will rub that down and repaint using much better paint this spring, very poor exhaust quality IMO.

Took the winter tyres off yesterday, and those keen eyed will notice that i've rotated the summer set including the new spare which is now on the front n/s against all the good advice..;)

Don't take the mickey too much...

tinyurl.com/dj8cd9
Fumoto oil drain valve with poor pics.. - oilrag
I like it GB. Looks like oil changes will now be a lot easier... My pots of waterproof grease are trembling at the sight of those bare looking frames. Has the 'hoyle washed off? Or is it just that I`m used to looking at 1/4 inch of grease with embedded grime... ;-)

looks clean and well cared for.

(I have some motoring shots of four wheel drives in the Philippines when the jet lag has diminished...)

Edited by oilrag on 15/03/2009 at 17:05

Well as you can see i changed the wheels over yesterday, and whilst they were off i gave the front susp a bit a wash over just to see what the winter has done to it, if you look carefully you can see fresher paint where i touched up exposed parts last year, looks like a full rub down and painting of the suspension is on the cards.

I noticed on the pic it looks like surface rust on the back of the front calipers, didn't notice that before, that'll be rubbed down and POR15'd soon then, black instead of silver calipers coming up.

The chassis is fine, annual chassis Shutzing seems to be the answer, followed this year by a fuller 'hoyleing.
I've now got a compressor so i may just fully strip out door cards etc and do the whole of the vehicle myself, i had toyed with getting it done professionally, takes me 3 months to get the stuff out of my hair afterwards.
I'm reluctant to go for heavy greasing of chassis and susp parts yet, preferring to paint and localise rustproof until it gets really necessary, we'll just have to see how she fares.
Any bets how long that very poor exhaust will last, it looks bad enough now you should have seen it last spring before i painted it (badly) when the vehicle was 6 months old.

I took the sump guard off for the pic of Fumoto in situ, its quite buried otherwise.

Did anyone get the urge to find their grease guns seeing the close up of the front propshaft..;)

Open chassis vehicles like this look bad when the salts done its worst, most cars now have huge plastic panels so you don't see the results quite so readily and they are better protected as a result too, and not quite so easy to get under either.

I collected some other makers 4x4's (luxury not utilitarian) the other week, almost new, mostly 1 winter old and it made grim viewing underneath, probably looked worse than it is mind.

Trust you'll be back with us OR when you're fully rested.
All the best.
Fumoto oil drain valve with poor pics.. - smokie
"note the state of the exhaust, will rub that down and repaint using much better paint this spring"

Can't say I blame you, it looks sooo 2008. What colour are you going for this year? :-)

I'd guess that you are more of an enthusiast than most here - well, me, for sure!! Looking good though...

btw Saucy Sarah popped up in the advert once, but I'd already clicked Back by the time I noticed... Couldn't get her back, no matter how may times I tried ;-)

Edited by smokie on 15/03/2009 at 17:12

Can't say I blame you it looks sooo 2008. What colour are you going for
this year? :-)

Everythings going black this year, i bought cheapo supposedly heatproof paint from the local carshop, and you can see the results plus i second coated too early/late and it crinkled..doh, must read the instructions this time.;) so got some decent 1400'F stuff to try and make it look a bit more cared for.

I wonder how many have had a nose under their cars yet now the worst is over, i should think there'll be some sharp intakes of breath the amount of salt that gone down this year.

Whereabouts was SS did you say, missed her meself, no change there then..;)