2000 1.5 cost of alternator belt tensioner? - Darklord
Just had my car in for an interim service at a trusted independent garage the alternator belt and the power steering belts were changed as there seemed to be a bit of a squealing noise coming out from that area it turns out the alternator tensioner has been diagnosed as the cause of the original noise . However local nissan main dealer dont keep them as a stock item and want £107 for the part including vat . Are alternator belt tensioners normally this expensive ? I was expecting something like £50 or £60! From past experience I know Nissan can be naughty on the price of certain parts.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/03/2009 at 13:38

2000 1500 Nissan Almera N16 Alternator Belt Tensio - Darklord
Just had my car in for an interim service at a trusted independent garage the alternator belt and the power steering belts were changed as there seemed to be a bit of a squealing noise coming out from that area it turns out the alternator tensioner has been diagnosed as the cause of the original noise . However local nissan main dealer dont keep them as a stock item and want £107 for the part including vat . Are alternator belt tensioners normally this expensive ? I was expecting something like £50 or £60! From past experience I know Nissan can be naughty on the price of certain parts.

Further to the above having spoken to several Nissan Dealers now the last one I spoke to say that the alternator belt tensioners never go wrong on these cars and they can't remember the last time they ordered one and fitted one . They have suggested I get a second opinion as they say unlikely to be this . I just wondered if anybody else had any advice to give ? Or has anybody had a similar problem ? Any help gratefully received
2000 1500 Nissan Almera N16 Alternator Belt Tensio - 547HEW
I would take the fact that if they dont stock the part, and cant recall ever fitting one, its unlikely to be this.

On my 1.9 TDi VW I fitted a new tensioner, only to find the squeal was caused by the alternator brushes wearing out such that the spring tension pushing the brushes against the slip rings reduced to the extent where the brushes were resonating. Old tensioner quite OK.

A year later, the Alternator freewheel failed, giving a similar squeak initially.

Tensioner price was about £50, and worryingly, the main dealer had it in stock.
2000 1500 Nissan Almera N16 Alternator Belt Tensio - Lou12061985
I have a 2000 Nissan Almera 1.5 S and after I have been driving for about half an hour I get a hum when I accelarate from the front right hand side of the car which is louder the more I accelarate and gets less if I brake. The car had a full service a month or so ago and I told them about it when it went in and when it was returned they reported that there were no faults with the car but the brake fluid system and the coolant system needed flushing out. I paid through the nose for these to be done and for a few weeks after it was returned the car was fine and no sound of the noise. It has now started doing it again... And on calling the garage back they now want to charge me for the time to find the fault... I am at my wits end as having paid £500 on it already I can't afford any more and thought having a full service would sort it out. The hum gets louder but sometimes stops. It doesn't affect the performance of the car at all... It drives perfectly normally and is not connected with the steering either. I have been advised that it could be a problem with the alternator belt but should they have not picked this up during the service? Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

The noise kind of sounds like metal rubbing against metal, but is not a grinding. It is a loud hum

Edited by Lou12061985 on 06/04/2009 at 16:59

2000 1500 Nissan Almera N16 Alternator Belt Tensio - Hassan_Bud
Hi Guys,
I own a Nissan Almera 1.4 GX,for almost 9 years,very reliable,i love it,No problem i faced so far,i have not changed any belts,nothing,goes quite well,i keep changing the OIL every year and i just changed the break yesterdat.thats it

But starting from last month,there is a little voice from the engine as if the amount of oil is not enough that kind of voice,it appears when i just push the pedal a bit,in a high accelaration i cant hear that voice.anyway,there is no malfunction at all and the computer light has not been poped up yet.I am using the car everyday.

If it gets a bit serious,i will take it to nissan for a speedy checkup.

in my openion,as long as the car goes well and the indicator is not ON,,,,DONT TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE GARAGE.

2000 1500 Nissan Almera N16 Alternator Belt Tensio - mickyh7
I'll get the Popcorn out - This should get interesting !