Dual Mass Flywheel - Caroline500
I have a Mondeo 2L TDCi Zetec 04 plate. I've just been told the dual mass flywheel needs replacing - noisy when idle and getting much worse. I've googled and seen a reference to a Ford design fault where they scrimped on the 03/04 model - can anyone expand on this as I would like to take it up with Ford as after only 47k miles I'm not happy with a £1000 quote.

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken on Ford with DMF problems....
Dual Mass Flywheel - DP
Hi Caroline,
Unfortunately, Dual Mass Flywheel failure is a problem affecting all manufacturers, and as you've found out, the bill for replacing them can be astronomical. I suspect Ford won't want to get involved with a car that, despite its low mileage, is nearly two years out of warranty. If it were six months I would be more hopeful. By all means contact them, but I would be surprised if they play ball.
Does the car have a full main dealer service history? This is absolutely critical for any goodwill from any manufacturer.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/03/2009 at 05:49

Dual Mass Flywheel - jbif
... Mondeo 2L TDCi Zetec 04 plate. .... Ford design fault where they scrimped on the 03/04 model - can anyone expand on this as I would like to take it up with Ford as after only 47k miles I'm not happy with a £1000 quote.

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken on Ford with DMF problems.... >>

Read HJ's FAQ no.5 [FAQ tab is near top right], and follow his links to the DTI [now BERR] guides on SOGA ..

Following is NOT legal advice, but just my opinion.
In very general terms, SOGA allows SIX years from date of purchase to make a claim. In your shoes, I should either:
1. Join Which? and seek legal help from there. Or
2. Write to the garage I bought the car from to inform them that I was lodging a claim based on SOGA. Then depending on the response,
3. Get it repaired and submit a claim via the Small Claims Court. In the latter case, I should research and get evidence from an expert that the DMF is a latent design fault.

IMO, if enough people were to do this, the question of who is liable for DMF failures should be resolved for the benefit of the motoring public. I suspect that the Traders on this forum will disagree with me.