97 1.4 Misfire - clutch related (?!) - kelvo
My Dads 1.4 zetec is misifing badly, but only really when the clutch pedal is even lightly touched. The misfire appears to be all cylinders cutting.
Here's the wierd thing though. I thought it may be related to the clutch sensor, so I removed it and the fault is still related to touching the clutch pedal. I tried both removing the connector and and trying both open circuit and shorted terminals, and with the sensor removed from the pedal but connected. Still the same.
Is there another sensor?
I'm wondering if this is something mechanically serious like mild pressure on the clutch causing the CPS to go out of line or something (surely not!?)
Any ideas please?
97 1.4 Misfire - clutch related (?!) - kelvo
oh... yes, and the other symptom is that the problem does not occur until the engine is hot.
97 1.4 are there 2 clutch sensors on a P reg 1.4 z - kelvo
Still having a problem with a bad misfire/cutting out when the clutch pedal is even lightly touched.
I've tried removing the sensor mounted at the top of the clutch pedal, and both shorting the wires and leaving them open circuit but the car still knows when I touch the clutch pedal.
Unless there is another sensor somewhere I can't see how it can be detecting the clutch movement.

97 1.4 are there 2 clutch sensors on a P reg 1.4 z - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you may be correct about the cranksensor air gap increasing as the clutch is pressed.There may be excessive crankshaft end float.One way of testing would be to check the tdc sensor pattern on a scope.hth
97 1.4 are there 2 clutch sensors on a P reg 1.4 z - kelvo
Thanks for that elekie&a/c doctor, I'll have to get my local garage to put a scope on it.

Strangely though, the engine cuts until revs die to about 1500, then cuts in again up to about 2300, then down to 1500 and so on.
Idle is fine.
I would have thought that there would be some missing at any engine speeds if it was tne Crank sensor air gap?

Do you know if there is another sensor, other than the clutch pedal?