Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - theterranaut
Wow. Isn't AT a minefield these days?

I'm in the market for a new car, well, new to me. As indicated in another post, I'm really after a TDCi Mondeo, but have been looking at some more left-field cars too.

One that was quite appealing was the Rover 75. I've always fancied one of the diesel Tourer models. They run for about 2K for a 01/02 plate. Nice car, from what I understand.

Yesterday, my eye happened to fall on an 05 plate, for just over 2K. Advertised as FSH, low miles- generally too good to be true. The ad had a PHOTO of a hand-written note that advised potentials to contact the seller via an email address. Which I duly did, I'm a sucker for these kinds of things.

Below is the 'seller's' reply, mildly anonymised:

========================================================

Hi Gary and sorry for the late reply,

I am emailing you regarding the 2005 Rover 75 Touring 2.0 CDTi that I have for sale.
Please take some time to read this email carefully, because I want you to understand how this transaction works.

The car is in perfect condition, with 64,000 miles, non-smoker, never been involved in any crash.The car is located in Plymouth. The full service history is available and the MOT expires in Nov 2009. The price that I am asking for this car is GBP 2200.

I have recently relocated with my job to Augsburg / Germany and I need a car here very fast. I've already found one to buy but first I have to sell the Rover.

A few days ago a person told me that he is very interested in purchasing and I had to fly back to UK to close the deal. Since I trusted his word, I came to Plymouth the next day, but when I arrived I called him and he didn't answer the phone anymore. The problem is not about the money that I spent for the plane tickets.. but I lost 2 working days for nothing. Time is very precious for me as I am involved in some major events of my career right now. I am a serious person and this person disappointed me.

I just want to make sure that you are seriously interested in buying this car before we meet and I will fly to UK only if I have an assurance of your intentions. Of course it will be no problem if you decide not to buy the car. But I want to be sure that you will be there to meet me and handle the deal in a civilised manner.

The best way you can prove your serious intentions is to have 2200 GBP transferred into your name via WesternUnion. All you have to do is find a Western Union office in your town and go there with your best friend or your wife. He/she will have to send the money into your name, with Plymouth as location. When the transfer is done you will send me a photo/scan of the receipt from W.U. as proof of payment.

This way I will be sure that you will actually come and I will fly to meet you within the next couple of days. You will test-drive the car and if you decide to buy it we will go together at a Western Union in Plymouth, you will pick up your money, then we will take care of all the paperwork.

As you can see I am not asking you to send any money in advance to me. You will be the receiver of the money and only you will be able to pick up the funds from WesternUnion, only in Plymouth/UK .

I believe our business proposal is reasonable for both of us.
If you are still interested in going further with the deal let me know.
Cheers

(english-sounding ladies name)

P.S.
Here are some pictures of the car . Just click on the weblinks below :
xs537.xs.to/xs537/09111/1316.jpg
xs137.xs.to/xs137/09111/2807.jpg
xs137.xs.to/xs137/09111/3622.jpg
xs537.xs.to/xs537/09111/4117.jpg
xs537.xs.to/xs537/09111/5987.jpg
xs137.xs.to/xs137/09112/9396.jpg
xs137.xs.to/xs137/09112/7145.jpg

========================================================

I wish I could say I resisted the temptation not to reply, but...

Hi Diana,

That sounds ok to me..I really like the car, and there's a Western Union very near here. Do I use your email address or is there some other way to get them money to you?

Please advise.

regards

Gary

:)

will keep you all posted!

Edited by theterranaut on 10/03/2009 at 19:10

Some more info about how this scam works:
netcred.co.uk/security/western-union-fraud.html

gary
A reply already: she's quick:

Hi Gary,

I believe that making the payment as I told you is the best way of getting me assured of both buyer's serious intentions and availability of money.

It takes no more than 5 minutes, your friend or wife just has to fill in a short form at any Western Union office in town with your name as Receiver Name and Plymouth as Receiver Location, then pay the sum plus payment fees (which I will pay back when we meet).
Then you just have to send me a scan/photo of the payment receipt by email as an attachment so I can see it has been made.

When we will meet in Plymouth you will cash the money and give it to me in hand after we test drive the car and of course only if you decide to purchase it.

After I have a confirmation of the payment, we can discuss all the details of the deal. I will be able to fly to U.K. in max. 2 days depending on availability of plane tickets.
Once again, there are some payment charges that you will have to pay at the Western Union office - around 50 GBP, that I will refund to you when we meet. Or you can substract those from the start and send 2150 GBP instead of 2200 GBP

And, as an added tip, I have worked with Western Union before and you might not want to mention anything about paying for a car because they will extra charge you for this kind of transaction (for making commerce). The person that sends the money to your name can state that he/she is sending the funds to a relative or a friend since personal transfers are the cheapest.

So, let me know when you can make the transfer so I can arrange my flight to UK as soon as possible.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - rtj70
The person that sends the money to your name can state that he/she is sending the
funds to a relative or a friend since personal transfers are the cheapest.

How stupid are they thinking someone is.... you go into a Western Union near you and send money to someone else (paying a fee) to be collected by someone at the same office... you'd had them cash. But the point is WU funds can be withdrawn elsewhere...

I think I'd wind them up a fair bit too.

Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - FotheringtonThomas
I suppose complying (adding a mistake to remove the possibility of payment) and then hospitalising the collector when they turn up and are refused is out of the question?
Nigerian fraud style indeed! I wonder if anyone would be stupid enough to fall for it. Sending them the receipt means (as you know) they can pickup the money from Western Union.
My latest to my Nigerian chum:

I see Diana. I just that this would be quicker, but thats okay.

I've just contacted the local Western Union branch, and they are waiting for me. My wife and I are setting off in a moment. I should be about an hour, and then I'll get this to you.

I'm very excited! Thanks for your patience. My lovely new car!

regards

Gary

PS: you sound as if you have a really important job. Whats Augsburg like?

(in about an hour, she's going to get a pretty interesting .jpg)
I would also report the ad to autotrader.

Edited by rtj70 on 10/03/2009 at 19:27

Sadly, the ad has now gone.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - jbif
I would also report the ad to autotrader. >>

I tried that last year when I thought of doing my good-citizen turn.
I found then [as you can now] that there are more than 20 concurrent 419ers going on at any time.
You can report these to the advertising media company, but they take two or more days to remove them [assuming that the ad was removed by them and not by the advertiser].
They seem more interested in the income from the ads than preventing the fraud, and the relevant authorities are not interested in setting up stings to catch the perps.

And, yes, there are loads of "stupid" people around who fall for this scam and do pay the money via Western Union.

Edited by jbif on 10/03/2009 at 19:37

Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - NARU
Tips for baiting them here www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - daveyjp
Hundreds, possibly thousands of people have been scammed using the Western Union trick. I'm sure some have tried to buy cars, but the other favourite is people renting flats.

It's more likely for the owner of a flat not to be close to the flat, so unlike a car where some long winded story has to be fed to the buyer, a flat owner not being close is very normal. They ask for a small deposit to show you are interested before arranging a viewing and to carry out 'credit checks'.

Unfortunately they get your bank details from the WU receipt and wipe your account out.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - stan10
The spelling has improved !
It is written in quite passable English, isnt it?
Credit crunch so a UK resident running a scam?
Maybe....wish there was some way to tell. But its a Gmail account, so could be anywhere.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - mss1tw
Reply in Engrish
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - PST
Maybe now's the time to start asking some more "technical" questions about the car.....has the master sprocket armature been recently greased etc etc...

You make your own diesel out of old pizzas - will it run on this?

Another favourite was to get the scammer to send a photograph of themselves holding a sign that said something along the lines of "I'm a pink fluffy dice". Could be hours of fun!
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - DP
Oooh, I had lots of fun with one of these when I sold my ZX7R. Strung him along and wasted his time for nearly a month before he got tired of it.

This was the old "My friend owes me £10,000 and I want to buy your bike for £4,000. My friend will send you a cheque for £10,000, you take out the £4,000 for the bike, ship it to me, and wire the balance to me" job. In other words, I will do you out of £6,000 and the bike!

The flaws in this muppet's plan were:

1) He was offering to pay £4,000 for a bike that was advertised at £3295

2) He was offering to pay £4,000 for a bike advertised at £3295 that he didn't even want to see.

These idiots must get bites, as they still try it on.

Edited by DP on 10/03/2009 at 20:43

Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - oldnotbold
DP - afraid I can beat that - I got a draft for £5,000 for a £325 Fiat Uno.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - massey
useful site

www.419eater.com/
Thanks Massey. Marlot had mentioned this one earlier.

Sadly, I wish I was more patient, but my scam-baiting is about to come shortly to an end.

It doesn't look as if my friend will be getting on a plane as planned, and that ever-so-cheap Rover 75 may not be mine after all. Where did it all go wrong? Why couldn't we have learned to trust each other? I guess international businesswomen haven't got all day to mess around when there are deals to be struck.

Latest scan I sent to her, after the totally black square, and the Western Union Money Transfer .gif I downloaded and adulterated to look like a bust fax machine, is a map of Nigeria with "YOU ARE HERE" in a large font and an arrow pointing to dead centre.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - stan10
It's not a woman theterranaut, it's a man, because we all know that women are more trustworthy than men ?

Along with my previously mentioned spelling comment, your experience indicates that these people are perhaps moving their game along, and we need to keep our guard up.

I wonder what Western Union think of all this ?, can't be doing their reputation any good.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - Mike H
Latest scan I sent to her after the totally black square and the Western Union
Money Transfer .gif I downloaded and adulterated to look like a bust fax machine is
a map of Nigeria with "YOU ARE HERE" in a large font and an arrow
pointing to dead centre.

I once told one of these scammers to pretend that his name was Wayne Kerr, and to stand up in a bar and tell everyone his name very loudly.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - FotheringtonThomas
They are not idiots, though. It's big business, with comparatively little risk to the actual perpetrators. It could be worth the OP reporting this to his local police, since he's got a "bite". See www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/. This sort of crime is one that many laugh at - however, it does hurt many people, and lines the pockets of criminals.
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - stunorthants26
I would have been tempted to email back telling them you are an english prince who due to difficult political times in the Uk need to transfer the sum of 1 million to their account etc etc

id wet myself laughing as I typed it :-)
Auto Trader- the Nigerian connection - lordwoody
Autotrader isn't the only place this happens regularly. I repot on average one car a day on Ipswich Gumtree site(I'm sure all the Gumtree sites have a similar number of scams, if not more, daily) To give Gumtree their due, they are removed very quickly.