01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - stratos
Hi, can anyone post details of how to get to and then check / change the diaphragm within the EGR system on a 2001 2.2 HDi.
I have the dreaded ESP/Anti-pollution fault which only comes on every time and i mean every time!!! i use a dual carriage way or motorway and cruise at 70mph.

I have had the ECU faults read by a friend who does my MOT's and the only faults recorded were;
1, Glow Plug Fault
2, Mass Air Flow Sensor Fault
3, Swirl Chamber Fault

The Glow plug fault does not as yet trouble me as the car starts fine even on a cold start and also as they seem to be a bit of a sod to get to, i'll wait for warmer weather to start that one.
The Mass Air Flow Sensor is easy enough to change but,
The EGR system seems to be a nightmare to get at.

On a separate note but may have some kind of connection?? i am having problems with a vibration which i was hoping was the wheels.
I have recently had the crank pulley fail and this reduced some vibration once replaced. I have checked the drive shafts and they appear to be fairly new as they still have the bar coded stickers on them!
I swapped the wheels around front to back and this helped as well so i had all 4 wheels balanced. This proved a pain as i have centre-less wheels! Anyway, all 4 wheels were way out but on checking the car afterwards i was disappointed to find that the vibration was still there albeit a bit better.
Any ideas on what this could be and could this problem have any bearing on the ESP system as its the ESP light that illuminates first before the 'Anti-Pollution light comes on.
The mileage on the car is 180,000 and the fuel consumption is a very disappointing 31MPG

Can anyone help with the above???
01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - Citroen c5 2.2 hdi

I’m having similar problem.

In short this is what happens: when driving with the same speed up hill for a few seconds the car goes into limp mode. Error on dashboard say ESP/ASR not functioning followed by Antipolitant fault. Switching the engine off for a few seconds fixes the fault temporarily but if I forget myself and drive with constant speed it comes again. Car had done 125k miles. It had new FAP and alloys topped up at 110k miles.

Diagnostic tools I've used returned error code P0380 and P0245 after 30 seconds so I took the car to main Citroen dealer.

They were trying for 2 days to find out what is wrong with the car but 2 days and £190 later they told me that the car has a fault. I had a word with their main mechanic who told me that possible reason for the fault is faulty glow plugs. I was also told by the same person that glow plugs work all the time even during normal operation of the engine. Interesting. So when I was told this will cost further £220 and I was told that there is no guarantee that the problem will get fixed I said good bye to those amateurs.

I can't say citroen cars are bad. The bad here is complete ignorance of citroen technicians in the UK who had to, and I quote: "go on line on forums to search for this fault as my car is very old" (51 plate).

No wonder sales of citroens in the UK are down if this is the kind of help you get after you buy the car. I would expect such ignorance from a back street garage fixing old L reg mondeos but not the main dealer. I am sure this would never happened in France.

01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - rmoo
Last year I lost an excellent2001 C5 V6 to collision damage, faultless once the modified ignition coils were introduced, so as I needed a car for work. i got a cheap C5 2.2HDi which did not present any faults on test drive, but on the first steep hill presented the particle filter problem.

I had anticipated this and cleaned the filter, but still a fault,so i removed the particle filter and had the ECU remapped. This alleviated filter problems, but at around 60mph, on a hill, still a fault, which read as turbo overpressure. I also got, on fast acceleration, a traction control fault. Not such a problem, just a temporary loss of power.

I realised the turbo fault was genuine when the intake hose split, although up to 60mph the turbo was controlling fine. So what changes at 60 mph, or about 2000 rpm ?.

After looking at various forums and the citroenet engine description I realised it was the swirl valve operating point,but i had seen this operating at 2000 rpm seemingly normally, but only with bonnet up, not a true driving condition. I had checked most vacuum lines but not the swirl valves and i found the swirl valve actuator to be leaking slightly.

I blanked off the swirl valve and turbo problem went away, also the traction control problem fixed.Fitted a new actuator and still good.

The conclusion is the the swirl valve, turbo and traction control share the same vacuum source and at 200rpm the swirl valve control solenoid started operating, putting a leak into the system which was enough to stop the turbo pressure reduction control working, and the same for the traction control which caused the esp warnings.

I seems that all these problems start around the same time as the particle filter gets clogged.I suspect that the increased engine temperatures during more frequent cleaning cycles actually cause damage to the vacuum control components. I found pipes partially melted where they touched the engine and the swirl actuator is just a plastic component on a bracket bolted directly to the engine block.(£21)

My engine is now more like a petrol engine with good and even performance up to motorway speeds. Just the headlights coming on with indicators to sort now.

I hope this info benefits someone as the forums have helped me to avoid Citroen UPAYE.
01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - craig-pd130

That's a really useful post, thanks.

Vacuum systems on turbo diesels can be extremely complicated, with lots of opprtunities for leaks from poorly fitted or fraying pipes, not to mention at all the joints with actuators and tee-pieces, etc.

Often these critical systems aren't assembled right at the factory (on two of my last three turbo diesels I've found vac pipes poorly routed & fitted from new), so it's no surprise that some people have temperamental cars with faults that are difficult to trace. Not helped by the inability of some workshops to look beyond the fault codes.

01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - MikeG74

If It was my car I would be adding a can of BG Diesel care 244 to a full tank and take it from there you should feel a difference within 5 to 10 miles.

Good luck

Bert

01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - unthrottled

Nice plug.

01 2.2 HDi EGR Valve and Swirl Chamber Diaphragm - Peter.N.

Using some spray cleaner on the MAF can be effective but dont touch the wire its thin.

Vibration problems are almost always caused by wheel balance but can be due to a faulty tyre/s