2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I hope someone can help with this. The socket is supposed to be under the ashtray, between the handbrake and gear lever. This car doesnt have the ashtray just a rubber coin holder and tray thing. If you take it out...nothing under there. I have searched everywhere else under the dash and in the footwells but cant find it. Autodata conveniently doesnt show a picture (what do I pay £500+ for??) and my local dealer probably doesnt have a clue either!
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - Dynamic Dave
Andrew,

Not sure if any of the info in the following thread on VxOn will help or not?

www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1...1

ps, there is another way to read out fault codes - mention in that thread as well.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2009 at 10:33

Thanks DD I googled that last night before posting. Interesting. Focus has had this facility for a few years. Still doesnt help as this critter doesnt have an ashtray to lift out. Got a feeling I'm going to walk from this one, it's been a bag of nails from new, on its second replacement gearbox, scrubs tyres out like no tomorrow and the interior is falling apart. That and the horrific booming noise inside the car that the dealer cant pinpoint. I think I'll end up being the whipping boy if I take it on.
Would like to know whre the darned socket is though!
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - elekie&a/c doctor
Try lifting the gear lever gaiter.I,m sure its there ,somewhere.
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - eastenddoy
its between the handbrake lever and the gear stick
right to find it, release the hand brake put your hand on the face of leaver as if you are putting it on, right in front of your fist behind coin/ash tray is the socket
p.s it located at the bottom of the hole
Should have said earlier its an auto so doesnt have a gaiter as such round the gearstick, more like a fitted panel which doesnt readily come out,seems to be securely screwed in.As I said before, there is no ashtray fitted just a rubber coinholder thing. Nothing underneath it,I had expected to see the socket smiling up at me but no, not even a removeable plate just a solid moulding.
Bizarre

Thanks for your help
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - Victorbox
I think they mean it's at the bottom of the cigarette lighter/accessory socket (except you don't get a lighter) under the spring loaded grey flap just under front of handbrake lever. I'm going to have a look at mine tonight! I thought it was just a power socket for your satnav etc.
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - topbloke
i assume this is a zafi b then its where the centre console meets the gearlever console there is a hole that you can stick your finger in but its very tight to pull out need to use a screwdriver if earlier zafi its under the handbake (where your knuckles would be when release the handbrake) yet again its a tight fit to get it up,Regards TB, ps its basically the coin holder that you describe above have a rummage you will find a finger hole

Edited by topbloke on 11/03/2009 at 18:40

its where the gear lever release is look in the hand book under brakedowns in the back of the book to show were the pull ring is!
2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - Dynamic Dave
in the hand book under brakedowns in the back of the book to show were the pull ring is!

img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zafira1.jpg

2006 1.8 Location of Diagnostic socket? - OriginalQwerty
Any idea how to get the panel back on? The breakdown mechanic who removed it didn't put it back and now I can't physically push it back on. Am using quite a bit of pressure but don't want to snap the two metal spring things. Thanks!