98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - jeffhoofe
Hi can any one help iv got a s reg 406 2Lt petrol Lx which has just started to misfire.
iv replased spark plugs with pug ones and also replased spark pack , thought it may be the injector so replaced it ans still misfireing as if only runing on 3 cylinders

can any one help jeff.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/03/2009 at 20:51

98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - boggles
If this has the large coil pack, which pushes onto all four plugs at once. A common misfire cause, is a broken wire at the multi-plug on the main body of it.
i would have to earht the spark plugs i know but do you know what each wire is on that coil pack eg: voltages and function then i can test it with the multi meter
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - piston power
Is this electrical fault?

Have you done a compression test to see if you have a burnt valve?
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - Peter.N.
Take each plug connector off in turn, push a small screwdriver into it, insulated end in hand!, and hold it near something metal on the engine, you should see a spark up to about 1/4" long jump across. You can easliy find which cylinder is missing as taking the plug lead off will make no difference. Could be that the lead is faulty.
there are no plug leads as thay are built in to the spark pack
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - steve_earwig
Besides that, it's a good good way of ruining your engine management and giving yourself a heart attack.

I think you'd need an oscilloscope to test the coil pack (spark unit) properly. I'm not liking this "as if it's running on three" - either it is or it isn't. You could try pulling the injector electrics one at a time until you find one that's not doing much, the compression test is a good suggestion too. Failing these I'm afraid you'll need to find some professional help.
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - Peter.N.
Ah sorry! I havn't run a petrol car for over 20 years. Its not like a Morris minor then?
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - steve_earwig
It's similar but "significantly" more voltage, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it on a family forum.
98 2.0 Petrol only runing on 3 cylinders - DP
We had the same thing on a friend's 306 XSi (same engine), disconnected each coil pack in turn, and fitted one of the cheap orange plastic HT testers between the coil and the plug (it *just* fits). We could then run the engine completely 'hands off', and with the coil still connected to the plug so no engine management issues.

This method found the faulty coil within a few minutes.
its not the spark pack tested on outher car (406) and it works ok , i think it more likly to be an out let valve on number 2 cylinder did comprestion test and its low and im geting a detanation sound from inside the exsurst pipe befor the cat so the fuel must be going out though the valve .