A car that runs on water ? - bernie
Why not ? I know that this has probably been put forward before but think about it.The constituents of water,hydrogen and oxygen,perfect for combustion.

Invent some super duper electrolysis unit that can split water at a sufficient rate on demand and bingo.

Mind you,the political and business ramifications are something else to the extent that I don't think it would be allowed by governments and would be "buried"

Pie in the sky ????

Somehow,I don't think so.
A car that runs on water ? - Tom Shaw
It doesn't work, Bernie. I've just carried out a controlled experiment in trying to ignite the water dripping from the kitchen tap, but the match just kept going out.

A car that runs on water ? - jeds
Sounds like you weren't doing it right. Try the same but holding a sharp kitchen knife in the flow of water. this will split the particles at an atomic level. (get an adult to help you with the sharp knife and only have the water on slow or the whole kitchen will go up)
A car that runs on water ? - Arfur
>>>The constituents of water,hydrogen and oxygen,perfect for combustion.

Unfortunately the hydrogen and the water have already combined. the energy has gone. Do not mourn it.
A car that runs on water ? - Arfur
>>>hydrogen and the water have already combined

nuts...try hydrogen and oxygen. My chemistry teacher would turn in his grave. No wonder he failed me.
A car that runs on water ? - Sherwood
I have a Duck that runs on water

Robin of Sherwood
A car that runs on water ? - Pete
Does anyone recall ?
Many years ago, when Tomorrows World was still partially shown in black and white, they featured a water (or rather steam) powered car.

Chap in Derbyshire had a 1903 Stanley steamer which set him thinking and he came up with a double flash boiler design which he built onto the back of a Mini Moke. Drive was on the back wheels, powering two altenators that fed batteries which fired the flash boiler. The boiler resembled a large roll top bread bin.

Vehicle was claimed to have a top speed of 55mph, could out accelerate a Jag up to 30mph and only water drops came from the exhaust. I do not recal what claim was made for range, though a figure was given. Vehicle was so quite that owner (sporting a Dearstalker hat) used a bulb horn to warn pedestrians of his presence.

Never saw or heard anything more (it was not April 1st) about the vehicle and I would be interested to learn more.

Rgds, Pete.

A car that runs on water ? - L'escargot
I have a Duck that runs on water
Robin of Sherwood

Some people think that they can walk on water.
A car that runs on water ? - BrianW
Might not be as daft as it sounds.
If you used the waste heat in the exhaust to produce electricity, say by a thermocouple bank, and used the electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, then fed that into the engine as a supplement, you could theoretically get a power increase with no additional fuel consumption.
Discuss.
come on now,don't you remember the old school chemistry lesson ?
A container full of water with a bit of salt for conductivity,bung in a couple of electrodes coneccted to a battery and voila ! hydrogen gas .It was collected in a bell jar then to wake us up when enough gas was collected it was ignited and whumph,minor explosion.

Now obviously that was very basic,but put the best scientific brains on the job, and well,I think somebody somewhere has done already done it.They just don't want US to know about it.
A car that runs on water ? - Stephen
Bernie,

... you also recall that you don't get energy from nowhere... Splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen requires power and that's what it releases when you burn the two together in the stoicheometric mix. (prob spelt that one wrong - but never mind). That mix is 2mols of hydrogen to one of oxygen.
Of course neither procedure is 100% efficient - so the energy you will get from burning the 2 will be less than you need to split them.

OK? - otherwise the other folk on this forum really will take the mick...

S ;-))

----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Yes agreed,but what if you burn a small amount of stored gas to power the "thingy what has been invented" to get the process going.Once it is going then some of the hydrogen is used to power the engine and some to complete the cycle by powering the "thingy"

I know that there is no such thing as free energy but think about the atomic bomb.You get a hell of a lot of released energy for not a lot of input energy out of the uranium 232(I think it's 232)

A car that runs on water ? - Sherwood
If I remember correctly,a number of years ago,it was reported that someone did in fact come up with a working formula for converting water into a fuel source.and the story goes that he mysteriously disappeared en route to a meeting to discuss his his invention.So who knows.
A car that runs on water ? - Daedalus
Splitting water to get hydrogen is easy, it's simple electrolysis. The trouble is you have to put far more energy into the water to get the water to split than you get by combining the hydrogen with air when you burn it in an engine. BMW seem to be going down the hydrogen route for their "pollution free" cars, the trouble is the pollution takes place somewhere else such as the coal fired power station. One of the Oxbridge universities is trialing hydrogen buses by producing hydrogen from energy from solar cells. The trouble is the cost of the solar cells to produce the amount of power to split out the amount of hydrogen needed to fuel them, its just not cost effective yet.

Bill
Ah yes,but what if a process or an invention has been discovered that turns conventional wisdom on its head.Do you think that that information would EVER be released to joe public?

I think not.

We would continue to be fed lies and bull because there are too many vested interests !
A car that runs on water ? - Tom Shaw
You can't "uninvent" something. A car that runs on water would make anyone who invented one rich to a degree that would make Bill Gates seem like a pauper. If it don't exist, it's because no one can make it work.

I think you miss the point.

You have invented a device that allows fuel to be made from water.Who is going to let you market said device ?

The Government ?
They stand to lose billions in fuel duty.

The Oil producing companies?
These people have invested billions and they are not going to sit and watch their investment go down the pan.

The Oil producing countries ?

I think that whoever invents such a thing will just dissapear.Who is to say that it does not already exist,just waiting to be "discovered" the day the oil wells run dry!

Conspiracy theory maybe,BUT........

Big Brother is watching you !
A car that runs on water ? - bogush
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There's a rumour that there used to be a commodity that was the world's leading traded raw material, and that "organic" medications to rival the products of the pharmaceutical industry were being developed from it, a way of producing paper from it was being developed that would rival traditional newsprint (into the production of which a major US news group had invested a fortune in forests and new plant), oh, yes, and there was a bio-fuel being developed from it.

And you can eat it too (it's a high value foodstuff as well).

I wonder what happened to it?

It was hemp.

(Cannabis Sativa!)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On the other hand there's CFCs

Good job that they discovered how they were creating a hole in the Ozone Layer before all those third world countries starting producing tons more of the stuff at giveaway prices as the patents on them ran out.

And an even better job that someone dicovered an eco-friendly replacement just at the right time!

Double Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
A car that runs on water ? - Vin {P}
Back to the basics.

You are suggesting using water as the sole motivating force for this engine.

To split the molecule of water uses x Joules of energy. Let's assume perfect efficiency in doing this, so you end up with fuel that, when burnt perfectly efficiently, will release those same x joules of energy. Let's assume perfect efficiency in releasing this energy. (N.B. Second law of thermodynamics says you can't get perfect efficiency, so I'm being kind)

Thus, we have exactly x joules being created by the engine, which uses exactly x joules to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen.

The question is, where is the excess required to move the vehicle?

A car that runs on water ? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
The question is, where is the excess required to move the
vehicle?

Just harness it to a perpetual motion machine.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Absolutely right on the basics, Vin.
Even with 100% efficiency you will only get perpetual motion withg no excess power.
That is why you need to get the energy to split the water from an external source, such as the waste heat in the exhaust or solar panels.
At best, though, it is only going to supplement the power of the engine, not totally replace the fuel.
But maybe, just maybe, it could significantly reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
A car that runs on water ? - Cliff Pope
You don't need to split water molecules, just collect the water that falls as rain in upland areas, using things technically known as 'dams'. Then let the water run downhill through pipes, and drive impellors connected to 'generators'. Then pass the electricity into the 'national grid', through a 'battery charger' in your garage, into a 'battery' in your electric car, and off you go.

Also, it has long been known that small amounts of water vapour in the air intake of a conventional engine improve the combustion. This is not exactly running on water, but it helps a bit.
"Then pass the electricity into the 'national grid', through a 'battery charger' in your garage, into a 'battery' in your electric car, and off you go."

For 50 miles.

Until storage or motor efficiency improve dramatically, range is the drawback with electric vehicles.

Vin,I dont profess to know anything about thermodynamics,but it seems to me you are saying then energy in = energy out,yes ?

Well then, how does a small force i.e( 2 bits of uranium smashed together) produce what I presume to be millions of times more energy out ?

A car that runs on water ? - Baskerville
Ok, here's the physics as I understand it (and I'm not a physicist). In nuclear fission (splitting the atom) a nucleus is split apart, and the total mass of the bits is less than the nucleus as a whole. The difference is the energy needed to bind the lot together. If you can persuade a lump of U235 to do this in a chain reaction it disintegrates at nuclear level, almost instantaneously, thus releasing the "binding energy" in an explosion, or more gradually in a reactor. So it's not that a small amount of energy is put in to give a lot out, it's that it takes a small amount of energy to release energy that's already in there.

Is that ok John S.?
Chris
ok so how does a Hydrogen bomb work ?
A car that runs on water ? - M.M
>>ok so how does a Hydrogen bomb work ?

Blimey bernie, not Saddam Hussein's agent are you?

David W
No,but its a valid question.I have been told that you can't get power from the hydrogen in water without putting the same amount of energy in to split it.So where does this equate in the hydrogen bomb.I mean it makes a big bang and I don't think they start off with an equally big bang.

OR are these guys that poo poo this idea the very people who dont want us to know the real story ?

More conspiracy Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
A car that runs on water ? - jeds
Hydrogen bombs contain vast amounts of stored energy and do actually need a very large explosion to start off the nuclear reaction which releases the energy. The large explosion is usually started off by an atom bomb, albeit a small one compared to Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
A car that runs on water ? - dan
Interesting point on the hemp bogush.
Hemp was the wonder crop. (At twice the strength of cotton imagine how fine you could make garments with todays manufacturing abilities). Thing is cotton plantations owned by wealthy, politically influencial individuals ensured hemp became known only for its ability to turn normal american teens into murderous psychopaths.

Nowadays cotton consumes more than half the worlds pesticides and agrochemical production. Another politically powerful lobby takes the mantle...
A car that runs on water ? - Onetap
Bernie, this hasn?t been patented, not because the inventor was abducted on his way to the patent office, but because it just doesn?t work. The disadvantages and problems far outweigh any anticipated advantages.

Some years ago, two very respected researchers (Pons & Fleischmann, I think), who had more PhDs that your average hospital, published details of their ?cold fusion? electrolysis process, which released far more energy than it consumed. The price of the essential materials (palladium, I think it was) rocketed, temporarily, on the world?s metal exchanges. That didn?t work either. They?d made an error. No one else could reproduce their results.

When you?ve built a working model, let us know.

It was illegal NOT to grow hemp in Elizabethan times. They used it for ropes for the ships.

Hey, how about bio-diesel made from hemp seed? It might produce toxic smoke, but no-one would care.
A car that runs on water ? - Onetap
PS

An internet search for "Pons & Fleischmann" using Google, produced a 20+ pages list of related internet sites, many of which argued that cold fusion did work. It's too late to save the world tonight.
A car that runs on water ? - Mark (RLBS)
Fascinating. And I've let it run. But if we could head back towards "A car that runs on water ?" now, I'd be really grateful.

OK ,time to let go.

Until the oil runs out at least !
Mark's request notwithstanding, there appears to be confusion here between different forms of energy.

In the hydrogen powered car, the energy used is the energy that holds molecules of hydrogen and oxygen together. Breaking a bond through electrolysis takes just as much energy as you get back from reforming the bond when you burn the hydrogen and oxygen.

In a nuclear bomb or a nuclear reactor, or whatever, we have to look at a new concept, which is that mass and energy are different forms of the same thing, i.e. mass can be changed into energy and vice versa. The equation used to calculate the exchange rate is the old faithful, e= mc squared. Thus, a kilo of matter is equivalent to approx 90,000,000,000,000,000 joules = b***** of a lot. To give the scale, 4.5 tons of matter turned to energy would fuel global energy consumption for a year.

What a nuclear reaction does is to change (a miniscule proportion of) the mass of the uranium, plutionium, etc, in it into energy. This is performed slowly (hopefully) in a nuclear reactor, or quickly in a bomb. What is done is atoms of uranium split to form new elements that weigh slightly less than the uranium atom did. The escess mass is released as energy.

In a hydrogen bomb, a compound of hydrogen is used. Under enough pressure and temperature, molecules of this fuse together to form new compounds that (you've guessed it) weigh a little less than the molecules that were fused, releasing the excess mass as energy.

So, the concept of splitting molecules of water is very different from splitting atoms in a fission reactor or fusing atoms in a hydrogen bomb.

What we need now is a fission fuelled car.

V
A car that runs on water ? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
What's used to generate the heat and pressureise it to change the mass of something to release energy?

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
What's used to generate the heat and pressureise it to change
the mass of something to release energy?

The atoms in uranium and plutonium are not stable, but decay by releasing particles called electrons. This changes the nature of the original element and uranium IIRC eventually becomes lead, as used in car batteries (motoring link).
If there are other atoms of uranuim close by, the electrons hit the core of these other atoms and split them, releasing energy and more electrons, which hit other atoms and split them, and so on.
This is your classic chain reaction.
It can only happen if;
1. There is enough fissile material (critical mass) otherwise the electrons miss other atoms and go off into the general neighbourhood
2. It happens in a small space so that a lot of electrons hit other atoms very quickly

So the trick is to use conventional explosives to shoot two of more sub-critical mass pieces of fissile material together to make a critical mass which generates enough spare electrons to cause a chain reaction.

If you do not blast them together then the initial reaction blows them apart again and the chain reaction dies.

This is why a power station cannot explode, the fissile material is not concentrated enough to explode, it just generates heat.

HTH
Or, if you're setting off a hydrogen bomb, you use a small fission bomb to create sufficient temp and pressure to kick off the fusion reaction.

V
ummm, I did ask quite nicely............
Yes, but this is all pretty relevant to why a car can't be run on water, isn't it?
>>but this is all pretty relevant to why a car can't be run on water, isn't it?

welllllll..........

>>Or, if you're setting off a hydrogen bomb, you use a small fission bomb to create sufficient temp and pressure to kick off the fusion reaction.

Unless you drive some very weird cars, then I think I'm gonna have to go with "no, its not".
A car that runs on water ? - Union Jack
Since I have been away for a few days, I cannot quite believe that I am the first to point out that the one car that truly runs on water is ... an Amphicar!

Jack

A car that runs on water ? - M.M
UJ,

I was so tempted but I avoid posting to threads in danger from the knife.......

David W
A car that runs on water ? - Daedalus
Having just gone through the whole of the thread again I agree with Vin and UJ. But to go back to Bernies orginal question. Yes you can run a car on water, in UJ's case probably not what was meant. It just aint worth it with todays technology.

Bill
A car that runs on water ? - John R @ Work {P}
Look at these sites to see cars that run on water...

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/6464/aquacar.html

www.amphicar.net/

;-)

Regards

John R
A car that runs on water ? - John R @ Work {P}
& www.amphicar.com/ :¬)

Regards

John R