Difficult to buy a new car - mikeyb

I am in the market for a new car and fully expecting to get a good deal in the current climate, however I am finding that its difficult to get anyone to show much interest.

First tried the Audi dealership that I bought my last new car from 2 years ago - same sales guy remembered me and emailed back asking what I was interested in etc....then no quote. Gently pushed him again after a week, and again was told he would get back to me and nothing, so in my book lost sale - no third chances!

Citroen C5 is also in the running. First dealership was to busy to even acknowledge me so I left. Requested brochure from website to which I get a letter to tell me they are out of brochures for C5 so they suggest I read the website or try the dealer who was to busy to speak with me..... Have now managed to get a test drive set up with another dealer, but they cant tell me what model it will be as they were not sure what their new demonstrator was going to be......

I recall last time I did this it was much easier and more plesant!

Rant over.

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/03/2009 at 05:27

Difficult to buy a new car - Auristocrat
We have bought fourteen new cars since 1987 and the experience is no longer a pleasure.
A lot of dealerships are not interested unless you're going to place an order on the day you go in, and I have walked out of delaerships previously due to inattention or being purposely ignored.
Back in 2006 before I purchased my current car, I booked a test drive va the Toyota website at the main Toyota dealership in Birmingham.
They kept me waiting an hour whilst they saw another customer, and decided they were only ready to see me when I was actually walking out. The tried the tack of not quoting for a part exchnage unless I placed an order that day - and then changed their minds when I said I would not return.
My order went to the Toyota dealer in Burton-on-Trent.
My experience in 2007 when we were changing our other car, convinced me that Mitsubishi, Vauxhall and Volkswagen dealers are especially disinterested in customers.

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/03/2009 at 05:25

Difficult to buy a new car - Andrew-T
Mitsubishi, Vauxhall and Volkswagen dealers are especially disinterested in customers.

A thread has only just ended on the topic of uninterested dealers. It seems to me that few buyers will have tried enough dealers to prove this statistically. Are we really asking whether directives have been issued by 'head office' to avoid selling cars?

I can't comment on buying new - never done it - but I did buy nearly-new (April 08) just before Christmas. Saw a keenly priced 207 SW at the Macclesfield Pug dealer (there were about a dozen similar in the North, ex-rental via the closed Pug auction). Phoned, went there next day, test drove, agreed part-ex, left deposit. Collected car three days later - no problems.

As the deal looked attractive I didn't even haggle much, as the PX allowed was par. I had just been to Fords of Winsford for a similar deal, and surprisingly the Pug deal was just as good, and the cars were better. I suppose it might have been different if I had just walked in unannounced. But I certainly didn't experience any 'disinterest'.

Difficult to buy a new car - Nsar
>>First tried the Audi dealership<<

Well, what did you expect?

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/03/2009 at 05:25

Difficult to buy a new car - jbif
... fully expecting to get a good deal in the current climate, however I am finding that its difficult to get anyone to show much interest. .. >>

Another thread on this here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72680&...f
Is it me or are they making it difficult

I think it could be you. Perhaps you could benefit by taking lessons from Pugugly on how to get instant service. ;-)

Difficult to buy a new car - Lud
lessons from Pugugly on how to get instant service. ;-)

Yes, whip a wedge of fifties that would choke a camel out of your back pocket like a breaker's yard man, horse dealer or similar...

Difficult to buy a new car - jbif
... out of your back pocket like a breaker's yard man, horse dealer or similar... >>

and all this time I had mistakenly thought Pug was from Sicily [the Ugly part came from the hazards of mixing with his compatriots] and that horses [more correctly their heads] were only involved when he had "made them an offer they could not refuse". ;-)

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/03/2009 at 05:26

Difficult to buy a new car - FocusDriver
Frosty and mikeyb's stories simply leave me cold. I've never had enough money to spend to justify a new car but the thought of chasing the dealership is definitely not something I'd do. Out of respect for myself if nothing else.

I've said before but a mate of mine is a successful BMW salesman. But not, he insists, by luck. He makes a beeline (if possible) for anyone who looks like they can't afford a new car and, 3 or 4 times out of 10, he makes a sale. He detests many of his colleagues for their idiotically lofty attitude outlined by the OP. He is often the best salesman each month but still his colleagues rib him when he spends time with a person whom they think is a 'time waster'

Difficult to buy a new car - toddisadj
I recently spent some time visiting Merc and BMW dealers in Leicester, turned up in a 10 year old avensis wearing jeans and trainers. The Merc dealers were attentive and helpful. (So helpful I discovered I didn't really want a merc!) The BMW salespeople on the other hand obviously thought I wasn't worth the time of day.

Eventually I bought a 3yo BM 7 series (non dealer). Visiting the same BMW dealers in the 7er wearing tidy clothes and with aesthetically pleasing companion, we were again completely ignored. Not sure I understand how this dealership stays in business.

Luckily I live within 20 miles of 3 BMW main dealers, one of which is a different chain, and the attitutude there is such a contrast. In Derby I have to fight salesmen off to get near the service desk!

Difficult to buy a new car - Roly93
I've said before but a mate of mine is a successful BMW salesman. But not
he insists by luck. He makes a beeline (if possible) for anyone who looks like
they can't afford a new car and 3 or 4 times out of 10 he
makes a sale. He detests many of his colleagues for their idiotically lofty attitude outlined

This is a good strategy I think, just because someone is immaculately groomed and sporting the usual trophy blonde on one arm certainly doesn't guarantee financial substance ! The person who seems to make things last and not waste money in areas such as male skincare products is far more likely to be financially sound.
Difficult to buy a new car - L'escargot
I'm really not at all interested in the demeanour of car salespeople. They can be as awkward and unpleasant as they like provided I get what I want in the end.
Difficult to buy a new car - MokkaMan
I think there is a generic problem here. When people have nothing to do at work, they do less than they should ie even replying to an email that would take two minutes does not get done. When they are really busy all these things are more likely to be done in the general flow of their working day.

Bad feature in human nature!
Difficult to buy a new car - Ubi
Contrast this with an experience I had in a US dealership once. Walked into a showroom somewhere in California, forget the marque now.

I was admiring some sort of drop top model and within a few seconds a sales guy was right on me with what I've always since thought was a great opening line. In a most enthusiastic and inviting way he said, "Have you driven one of these yet?"
I was admiring some sort of drop top model and within a few seconds a
sales guy was right on me ......

You and I are obviously different. There's nothing I hate more than going into a car showroom (or a shop or store) and immediately being pounced on by a salesperson. I want to be left alone to browse in peace. Sometimes if I see a salesperson heading my way I walk in the opposite direction.
Difficult to buy a new car - Mr X
So the middle ground is that when you walk in to a show room, a sales person simply says ' Hello, I'm X. I'll be sitting over their if you have any questions or need any help ".
Difficult to buy a new car - miata
Things have not changed. I recall a strange encounter nearly thirty years ago at a Vauxhall dealer.
I had a Vauxhall Cavalier and had fully decided i wanted an Astra. Decision made.

Called at dealership which was empty. After hanging around for ten minutes guy appeared.
Said i was after said Astra. His response on looking at my car parked outside which had supplying dealers sticker in rear window was to ask me why i had not been back to that dealer.

My response because i am here.

His reply well go back to them see what they say and get back to us.

My response to say i thought you sold Vauxhall cars and promptly walked out.

To this day i am still baffled by that experience.
Difficult to buy a new car - Falkirk Bairn
A few years back one of my boys wanted a Golf, nearly new.........

VW garage agreed on phone to test drive - 2pm Sat. He duly arrived in his mum's car - 7 yr old Honda but the demo car "was not available" - reason? although 25 he looked about 17/18.

Spoke to "Sales Mgr" but was given a cold shoulder.

The next week he pulled up in his twin's brand new £20K sports car and walked in to the sale manager and said that the car showed he was a buyer and their attitude has cost them a sale.

A few weeks later he bought a year old golf thru Autotrader.

Do not judge the book by the cover!

So the middle ground is that when you walk in to a show room a
sales person simply says ' Hello I'm X. I'll be sitting over their if you
have any questions or need any help ".

Provided he gives his full name, and not just his first name. that would suit me.
Difficult to buy a new car - John Sheridan
I had the same problem buying my current car - a Vauxhall.

Went to the local dealer in Wellingborough and no-one saw me and I just gave-up and left.

I then saw another dealers website, spoke to them on the phone and popped-in. A completely difference experience - helpful staff, pleasure to deal with them - perhaps because they were family owned dealership they gave better service?

For the record the GOOD dealer was Billington Vauxhall www.billington-vauxhall.co.uk/index

Just looking for a new car - Fiesta - and 1st dealer did not reply to my emails and 2nd (in M/K) did reply but just ignorred the simple questions I had asked - like prices! In the end I've purchased one from a car broker.
Difficult to buy a new car - stunorthants26
Ive found that a dealer can put me completely off a brand. Our local Citroen dealer was rude and aggressive and the Toyota dealer was an arrogant wotsit. VW ignored me as did Peugeot.
Renault chase you down like they are on safari and my local Hyundai dealer has adopted the arrogant stance too. It seems to be a growing epidemic.

Our local Daihatsu dealer, which also does Ford, Isuzu, Subaru and Chrysler is however, staffed by experienced staff who know how to sell without making you feel under pressure and make you feel like their number one priority.
While the majority of cars they sell are pretty reliable, when ive had to have anything rectified, they have been superb, so the aftersales is just as good.
It is the primary reason they keep getting my money.
Follwing on from my original rant one positive thing has happened! I requested a test drive through Citroen's website, and the dealer called and fixed a date with me. What I found more interesting was that Citroen HQ have since called me twice to "check up" that the dealer called me, has provided test drive in car I wanted etc etc. I do wonder if they have problems with said dealership, or are just checking up in general that referals from the web site are acted upon?
Difficult to buy a new car - barney100
Fiat dealers a few years ago to prove it ain't just now. Me ''I want a new Panda,How much?''
Young salesman, ''You have to place the order sir and then we will tell you the price'' Me, ''goodbye'' Got said car from another dealer.
Difficult to buy a new car - nortones2
Went into the local VW dealer in Preston this week (Dutton Forshaw) just to have a look at the Golf Mk VI. Won't be deciding just yet, and said so, but wanted to check out seating and space etc. The first guy I met was on the used car sales side, left me alone to examine the car in the showroom, and called over the new-sales colleague to answer a simple query on the unbadged GT. I wasn't sure what version it was! Offered drive and brochures. Said to phone or pop in when passing as they were awaiting other versions, so I could see how they compared. Neither pushy nor disinterested. A pleasant welcome and chat.
Difficult to buy a new car - Stryder
We stopped past our local Skoda dealer, just to check out the dimensions of the Octavia estate. A friendly sales man approached us and asked if we needed any help. I explained we were just looking not buying (yet). He still let us have a test drive; he didn't even ask us for our name and address, so no pushy follow up calls.

And this was on a Saturday when there were other people aroumd.not a quiet mid week day.

The result of this is that I would probably be willing to pay a little bit extra to deal with that garage (Station Garage, Ewehurst nr Guildford) compared to one a little bit further away or from another marque.

Difficult to buy a new car - Avant
"....perhaps because they were a family owned dealership they gave better service?"

That's the secret - no doubt it applies also to the Skoda dealer in Ewhurst. It's worth travelling a few extra miles to get the benefit of this - particularly if they give you a courtesy car when yours is being serviced.

HJ's good garage guide is helpful here.

It's hard to understand any dealer being offhand at the present time, though. I can perhaps forgive them for being over-pushy when desperate for a sale - but not to want to sell at all is just plain stupid.
Difficult to buy a new car - tawse
As I posted on the current CRV thread - wanted to buy a CRV, dealer point blank refused to neogtiate anything more than 500 notes off the list price. Was he having a joke? Well, when I said that I could buy cheaper elsewhere and that even Whatcar would get the car for me cheaper I was told to go and try them.

Rang a Toyota dealer yesterday to ask when the new model Verso was in as I was interested in buying - got put from phone to phone to phone which in the end kept ringing and in the end, many minutes later, I put the phone down.

Car dealers and estate agents are appalling people IMPO with the exception, as someone else has mentioned, the rare still family run business.

Difficult to buy a new car - miata
As a generalisation i think car dealers/estate agents/banks et al had it so good for so long they have lost the art of selling coupled with decent customer service.

The word GREED springs to mind.
Difficult to buy a new car - Brentus
Tawse

Keep watching this thread i hope to bring good news later this week.
Tawse

I have just purchased a new CRV. I was told like you say Honda wouldn't budge on price ,i always find this difficult to believe. well i can reveal that i got well over what i thought for my part ex and nearly £5000 of the CRV. Dont think i am allowed to reveal on this forum though where i got it from. Im well happy.
Difficult to buy a new car - Pugugly
And me nice motor - got a wedge off 'em though !
HJ's good garage guide is helpful here.

In my original post the garage who were to busy to acknowledge me are in the good garage guide. Also used them some years earlier for some warranty work and small repair to the other half's Citroen and they were poor then so things havent changed.
Having bought a few new cars in my time i am sure nowadays dealers don,t want to know unless your'e gonna buy. When you are decided on what you want to buy don't deviate from this. What i have tended to do as of late is follow HJ's advice go prepared take whatever means you have at your disposal to show what discount's your looking for. Always Always Always ring at least 3 dealers up as a minimum. Remember some dealers will be offering better discount's than others because the manufacturer will be rewarding them for sales, try and find who those dealers are. Sometimes the dealer your speaking with may give a clue to as who that may be. Tell them your gonna buy and i can guarrantee most will ring you up . They will all say they dont want to go into a dutch auction. You tell them they arent in one but you have already done so. The price will come down promise you. Mikeyb hope this helps. Good luck. Keep watching this thread i hope to bring some fantastic news later this week.
Difficult to buy a new car - doctork
I posted my details with Mazda yesterday with a view to test driving a Mazda 2. Selected a local dealer in Bolton. I'll let you know how long it takes. I plan to change very early June so might order before then. Also plan to test drive Alfa Mito and maybe Hyundai i20. Want to part ex a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 on 55 plate. Might be interesting.
Difficult to buy a new car - vulcan7
I think the said Mazda dealer in Bolton used to have a branch near me in Wigan that they closed a while back.

It should be quite a revelation to see what service you receive.

If you want a nice experience try Ashleys Southport for Mazda well worth a bit of a drive.

Now I've never bought a car of them but if the sales is half as good as the after service is, then that's as good as it get's and no I have no connection with them apart using them for service of my Mazda6
Difficult to buy a new car - motorprop
in 1998 I was bored of a weekend afternoon, drove my older Saab into a large Saab dealer on the edge of the City ( London ) .. just to browse, you see - I WAS NOT buying a new car, no way!!

The salesman had such a nice easy approach, no hard sell, showed me round a new 9-3 Convertible, said ' it drives so much better than older models ' , he did not see my car initially, am always dressed in casual nondescript clothing , yet , in about an hour i signed on the dotted line and a very good deal p/x struck - collected new £23k car one week later.

as others have said, do not judge a book by the cover in this context

Thanks Vulcan, the local dealer was bought out -maybe by management I think, which might explain why Wigan one was closed. It should also mean that they have less cash floating round than anyone else ! Nothing yet, mind you it is only 2 days
Also registered with Ford Friday 13th to test drive Fiesta, their Horwich, Botlon dealer rang today and have fixed up for tomorrow -pretty quick. Told them I was considering 3 cars to test and they were the first -no trouble. Not heard from Mazda yet who had a day start over Ford.
OK, so far have requested and got a test drive through Honda's site in the Civic - The site is pretty good - tells you which demonstrators are at which site so you can pick what you want to drive. All sounds good, but the dealer never contacted me to confirm my booking, so I called them - They called back to say it was all OK and they were expecting me, although I am not so sure. After requesting a test drive in a Civic type S I arrived to be told that they had assumed that I wanted a 5 door so thats what they had for me to drive. 15 - 20 minute drive to be told that as the factory was shut there was low availibility on the model I had been shown........ Also no brochure as they were out of stock. Didnt really like the Civic so not to bothered anyway, although showroom was busy and people were taking delivery of new cars. Salesman told me that sales were down, but that they were hitting their sale targets, whereas 12 months ago they were achieving 120%. Tole me target was 100 units a month

Requested test drive with Citroen in C5 - dealer contacted me early next day and we agreed on a date, but he couldnt tell me what model they had......Arrived and they were expecting me and had all my details out to hand - good start. Guy I spoke to was out, but had asked his colleague to look after me. Car I took out was brand new so they asked that I didnt go to far as it was a stock car rather than demonstrator, but if I liked it they could get me another drive as they had ordered a new demonstrator and would let me have if for 24 hours if I wanted. No pressure - quick discussion on what offers were on and a brochure provided with a "let us know if you need another / longer test drive" Only iritating factor was that she tried to tell me that the C5 now had BMW petrol engines. I believe that they have a joint venture, but that none of the new engines have made if into the C5 yet. Showroom was dead - I was the only punter, and they admitted that sales were down. Told it was busy up to the new reg, but had been quiet since.

Will update on further experiences
Difficult to buy a new car - ifithelps
....told me target was 100 units a month...

Strewth, Honda UK barely sell that many, let alone one dealer. :)
Difficult to buy a new car - boxsterboy
Only iritating factor was that she tried to
tell me that the C5 now had BMW petrol engines. I believe that they have
a joint venture but that none of the new engines have made if into the
C5 yet.

The 1.6 petrol is a JV between PSA/BMW. Not sure if this is in the C5 yet.
Test drove the New Fiesta this morning at the said Horwich outlet. Kept me waiting 15 mins or so but humoured by member of staff who showed me round the showroom model. gave brochure and explained the various models etc - so time not really wasted.
Car they gave me was a 1.25 Style + which I thought was a bit underpowered (after stepping out of my Coupe) would prob go for thre more powerful of the 1.4 versions.
Salesman said he had over 40 years experience in business (started selling Minis in 1965!) wasn't in the least bit pushy but did mention that prices were going up 1/4/09 and if I did a factory order by the 27th March the price would be guaranteed. Don't think I'll make that deadline.
He did remark that the Fiesta got great exposure on Top Gear with Clarkson (and that if it was an ad it would have cost Ford millions!) -I said it can be a double edged sword as Clarkson panned the KA in the Sunday Times, he said he wasn't entirely sure about the KA being built in the Fiat factory (but would sell me one no doubt!)

Fiesta seems well put together, the interior is well finished and attractive and it drives very well -although you have to push the 1.25. So, 4 days after putting details on Ford website I have completed a test drive - still waiting for Mazda though.

Finally salesman said "even if you don't buy from me please ring me up and tell me what you think of the Alfa Mito, I haven't driven one yet.." Obviously does his research.
Pleasant enough experience
Difficult to buy a new car - RaineMan

A friend is looking for a new small car. The first car he was interested in was the new Fiat 500. Although he had rung before he got to the dealer to find the demonstrator was out for the weekend! He said the saleman did not seem particularly bothered and quoted long delivery times and no chance of a deal. His next port of call was a Vauxhall dealer - again disinterest. He is now seriously considering a Hyundai as the dealer was helpful but not pushy and let him take the car out alone for a test drive. Seems surprising when so many new cars are parked in fields!
SQ
The 1.6 petrol is a JV between PSA/BMW. Not sure if this is in the
C5 yet.

Only petrol options on the C5 are 1.8 and 2.0. 3.0V6 hasnt made it to the UK and likely wont.
My understanding is that there will be JV engines in the C5 at some point though. Think one on the C4 engines might be the new 1.6 though?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/03/2009 at 19:03

I should have added the Ford dealer said they were on target for March and couldn't get enough Fiestas.
Raineman - My experience of Hyundai dealers is very good and the package of warranty etc is superb.
In Wigan there is a dealer selling Fiat and Hyundai together wonder if either side is the same??
mikeyb

Westgate Honda in Grimsby will give you £3 grand off for starters on the civic, i have just got nearly £5 grand off a CRV and great part ex price. Too good to be true really. The deal is on while end of March. See my post new deals and also on the CRV threads.
Response to request for test drive on respective websites:
Mazda - 2weeks and no reply
Ford - 1 day, test drive done
Alfa Romeo -filed request yesterday -will wait and see.

Obviously Mazda don't want my money so that's them ruled out !
Difficult to buy a new car - turbo11
Response to request for test drive on respective websites:
Mazda - 2weeks and no reply
Ford - 1 day test drive done
Alfa Romeo -filed request yesterday -will wait and see.
Obviously Mazda don't want my money so that's them ruled out !

Why not just ring them. I said I was coming in 2 hours to do a test drive. They said fine. I did the test drive, and have placed my order for a new Mazda5 sport. The whole process was made easy by the excellent service I received.When I previously went around the various dealerships, I did 4 test drives there and then on the spot with no notice.
The difficulty I have is that the sales staff won't leave me alone. The minute I get in a car showroom someone pounces on me. The thing I want is to be left alone and free to give the cars a good inspection ~ open and close the bonnet, boot lid, and all doors; open and close the sunroof; wind the windows up and down; open and close the glove compartment; adjust the seats forwards, backwards, up and down; operate the handbrake; adjust the interior mirror; adjust the exterior mirrors; test the interior controls and switches for robustness ~ this is high on my list of inspection priorities; operate the radio/cd player; remove and refit the parcel shelf; check where the spare wheel is; and, of course, kick the tyres. I need to do all these things before I even think of asking for a test drive. But salespeople don't seem to want me to barely touch the cars on show.

That's what I find difficult.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/03/2009 at 08:08

I just thought I' d see how good their website request system was -I'm in my rush. I will be driving the Mito one way or another defo -I'm a bit indifferent about the Mazda to be honest.
Difficult to buy a new car - Boss Hog
Thats is going to be difficult, most car reviews don't cover ease of bonnet opening or ease of rear mirror adjustment things like that, they usaully cover engines and body and driving.

I would be interested to know in your opinion which cars fail on the list you wrote as not satisfactory?
Test drive for Alfa Mito set up next week in Brighouse. I did say I hadn't seen any on the roads yet -has anyone? Dealer said there are a few awaiting delivery -wonder if ANY have been delivered yet !
Plus point -the demo car is the 155bhp version
Difficult to buy a new car - 3T
Seen a couple out and about locally plus 2 plated up and ready to go at our local(Portsmouth) alfa dealer . Garage seems to be doing a roaring trade with all sorts of exotica lined up - 911s GTs, spiders and the occasional Maser , all on the main road , next to the pavement with just bollards to guard them!
Difficult to buy a new car - boxsterboy
Sounds like Meridian.

I've seen maybe 4 MiTos so far. Quite nice, but the road tests have been less than flattering.
OK, decision made. Ordered Citroen C5. Went down the contract hire route, and the dealer couldnt match the slightly mad Chinese girls price so she got the business.

Factory order so must wait for 8 weeks now.

Did get a very nice letter from MD of Citroen day after ordering car thanking me for recognising their efforts and ordering from them, telling me which factory car was being built in etc which I thought was a nice touch.

Car being supplied through Perrys in Hudersfield - no idea what they are like as 200 miles away from me
Difficult to buy a new car - oldgit
>>
Did get a very nice letter from MD of Citroen day after ordering car thanking
me for recognising their efforts and ordering from them telling me which factory car was
being built in etc which I thought was a nice touch.

>>

What a lucky fella. As usual and not unexpected, my new Golf has been on order 5 weeks next Thursday and since that day have heard BAll from my VW dealer (no change there then).
I'll give it another week or so and then find out if they have a build date yet - some hopes, as in fairness am not expecting it 'till late May or early June.
Yes, road tests on the Mito have been a bit mixed (mind you I haven't seen one on the standard 95bhp model yet) -but the only way to tell is to have a drive.
Difficult to buy a new car - Ben 10
Ford seem to be showing signs of caving in with their stance on not doing deals at the moment.
A south of England Ford dealership is offering a 50/50 option across the range. 50% now, 50% in two years. Signs they are going to have resort to enticing us into their showrooms like other makers.
Difficult to buy a new car - Fullchat
I'm potentially in the market for the latest shape Focus estate, preferably the Titanium. Not keen on new, due to horrendous depreciation, so have not been face to face in a showroom. But looking at their website the appear to be well over the £16K mark RRP.
Ford Direct is more my bag and have been monitoring their prices and availability. Prices seems to have crept up over the last few weeks.
My take on the situation is that perhaps they are keeping the prices of quality second hand stock high in an attempt to bolster new car prices.
So at present I am not that interested. I noticed an advert in the DT for a Jag estate at just over £21K. Bit of difference between a Jag and Ford Escort but not it seems in pricing. Of course Ford are in business to make a profit and will play the market for what it believes it will stand.
Difficult to buy a new car - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Experiences at several dealers on the same sunny Saturday morning 2 or 3 weeks back....turned up at each dealer in the potential trade-in - a clean 56 plate Avensis. Likely change point is a few months away, but only the keen dealers will find that out :-)

BMW dealer - wandered the forecourt briefly, no interest, although I looked closely at the sole 5-series they had (08 plate 520d). Then went inside and sat in a new 525d Tourer, had a thorough look around it. No interest shown by anyone, I wandered out again, pausing briefly to wonder what the X6 is all about.

Ford dealer - again the forecourt held just one example of the model I wanted to view (Mondeo). Doors were open so I sat in it and had a good look around it. Wasn't impressed enough with the car to look any further, so I left having again been ignored. That's never happened before at this dealership, who I actually bought a car from several years ago.

Toyota - viewed the new Avensis in the showroom. Located a salesman to get a brochure - none in stock. He showed mild interest at best, but did promise to get me a brochure. One was hand delivered a few days later, but was for the old model. Doh!

Honda - receptionist gave a cheery hello, said have a look around and let me know if you need anything. I thoroughly examined two new Accords, one saloon, one tourer. Asked receptionist for a brochure, she got the Sales Manager. We then spent a good twenty minutes chatting in his office, despite me saying changing was months away. No attempt at hard sell, offered a day long test drive, recommended I do the same with competing brands to narrow the choice. Generally talked cars & sales for a bit. He said he'd be in touch in a couple of months time if he had not heard back from me.

Guess which brand is now in pole position for my cash? Should say that I have found Lexus equally attentive on a previous visit, so they are in the running; and also that is the 3rd BMW dealer where they have failed to speak to me, so they are doing their best not to be in the running.

Difficult to buy a new car - akr
I deal with a Vauxhall/Saab dealer in Harrogate and have bought several cars of both makes off them. Have dealt with one of the salesman on the Saab side and one on the Vauxhall side for a good few years now and they are excellent. They are just polite, professional people who treat you right so they get my business every time.
Am looking to change at the moment and have tried a couple of VW dealers and a BMW dealer recently and was dealt with well by all to be fair. Got the test drives I wanted but as expected VW expected me to pay up without discounting. BMW were competitive but the car was just a bit out of my reach. So ultimately, I'm sure I will do the rounds of other dealers and then return to Harrogate where they will get my busines if they can match my best deal. Which they always do.
It just shows what can be done when a relationship is built up.
I wonder if half the lack of interest is that its March and dealers hit their target with the new reg?
Difficult to buy a new car - barneybear
I have done some serious looking the past 3 weeks:
Jag - nice chap, no hard sell, 20-30min test drive, talked a little about figures, but said I would be checking others out. I emailed 3 days later to let him know I wouldn't be following through. He emailed back asking why, but wishing me luck with whatever I decided to go for.
Ford - salesman I had booked for was busy (double booked himself), but went for 20 min drive in Mondeo. Again no pressure at all. Again I emailed 3 days later to say no thanks - no reply this time.
Citroen C5 - no pressure - "take that one for as long as you need", no sell at all, but will call me back...
Audi - hard sell. talked figures for ages before we went out in the car. Wasn't too impressed with the car - I want cloth seats and tersted leather version, so I couldn't tell really. Chap called back 2 days later and I let him down gently.
BMW - I made a mistake and asked for salesman by first name "James" - who then claimed he knew nothing about me - but checking their database he found me booked with "Nick" (James was Jag sales - doh!). But he let me out on my own (never driven BMW before) - for as long as I need. Returned after 30mins not that impressed, and thanked him for his time and apologised for my naming error!
Merc - talked about what I would be using the car for once he established I know very little about the range etc. He changed the booked car from Sport to SE. However turned out to be auto. I've never driven auto, so asked him to drive it out with me watching close by to work it out (especially this "hill assist start"). Pretty soon got hang of it and was lovely drive. He said he would call back. Want it, but need manual to compare.
One thing I did note was sales figures for each person in one of the dealers - weekly between zero and 5 cars each, and I totaled 50 cars in March across the total sales team. I have no idea how many cars would have sold from the dealer last March - but the Audi dealer was dead keen to get me to do the dead this month, even though I had said in 2months time...£20k in 2 days when I'd never driven one till then...
Difficult to buy a new car - Blue {P}
Barney - you may struggle to find a manual Merc demonstrator as nobody really wants manual Mercs except in the cheap ones and the SLK (even in the SLK demand is limited). If you check out Autotrader and do a comparison of the numbers it's one of the few marques where far more of the listed vehicles are autos than manuals.

Another consideration would be resale, due to their limited appeal a manual C Class saloon is not an attractive trade in.

I don't know why this is the case with Merc particularly although I have heard their manual boxes aren't very good. I suspect it's a chicken and egg question though, are the manuals poor because they don't bother developing good ones in the knowledge that few will sell, or, do custotmers not buy very many becauuse Merc don't do particularly good manual boxes? :-)
Difficult to buy a new car - stunorthants26
>>are the manuals poor because they don't bother developing good ones in the knowledge that few will sell, or, do custotmers not buy very many becauuse Merc don't do particularly good manual boxes? :-)<<

Audi and BMW, direct rivals, seem to sell plenty of manuals so its certainly not that cars this size must be auto, but I would guess it is more that Merc customers lean towards them - every Merc I clean is auto except for an 03 ML270 which has a 6-spd manual, but that is only because the owner is totally against autos but a 30 year customer of Merc and not about to change. It is more that Merc has a different image, ie more sedate ( AMG models aside ) which attracts auto drivers more, I would guess.

Latest manual boxes arent that awful - its was in the 80's and 90's that they gained a rep for clunky boxes.
Difficult to buy a new car - cuthbert
I think this was the case on the C class on the previous model in that the merc had a foot handbrake and on a manual car it was pretty awkward to use so many people went for autos
Also BMW and Audi try to give the image of a more sporty brand were Mercs are a pipe and slippers brand ( not that I mean old people drive them)
..had a foot handbrake and on a manual car it was pretty awkward to use so many people went for autos...

I test drove a new C class auto a month ago and that had a foot handbrake.

Dreadful contraption which helped put me off the car.

The other problems were the ride, which was jiggly when I was expecting a magic carpet, and the price.

That's not the Merc's fault, it was bit more than I was prepared to pay.

If the test drive had made me really, really, want one, I might have stumped up the money.

Edited by ifithelps on 30/03/2009 at 10:39

Difficult to buy a new car - daveyjp
Honda dealer last week was very relaxed and gave me a decent accompanied test drive - car wasn't taxed and was on trade plates. I did explain I was driving the Insight out of curiosity, but with a genuine interest which may be converted to a sale later this year - after the test drive it probably won't be.

I'll be in a SKoda dealership this afternoon looking at the new Octavia, from past experience our local Skoda dealer is also usually relaxed and not pushy.
Difficult to buy a new car - merlin
> The other problems were the ride which was jiggly when I was expecting a magic
> carpet and the price.

I'm also finding it difficult to buy a new car. I would like something with a good ride. Unfortunately many modern cars it seems are setup for handling over ride quality. So have you managed to find a car with a magic carpet ride?
Merlin - thats one of the reasons I went for the C5 - had several sporty Audi's, but my commute dosent give me any chance to make use of improved handling - comfort has now become more important.
I have gone for a lower spec model with the steel springs, but I gather that the hydractive system is even more comfortable
Difficult to buy a new car - daveyjp
As expected usual relaxed visit to Skoda. Three handovers underway so people are buying. New Octavia looks a decent car - they only had an SE spec (second up from 4), but this was well kitted out.

Looking through the brochure we found an error - salesman was onto Skoda HQ straight away to clarify what was and wasn't available on the models.
> Merlin - thats one of the reasons I went for the C5 ...
> - comfort has now become more important.

mikeyb - when I was posting yesterday asking about a good ride, I nearly said no French cars as I have an idea they are unreliable and not a good long term prospect. However on second thoughts I decided to leave the question open.

So your reply suggesting the C5 was not totally unexpected. I've now done some googling and from the reviews the C5 might just be what I'm looking for. I'll arrange a test drive so thank you for the suggestion.
Many years ago Triumph dealers had a promotional scheme in which you were offered a gift if you took a test drive in a particular model. I got a quartz carriage clock which has just packed up, so I wish someone would start a similar the scheme!
...So have you managed to find a car with a magic carpet ride?...

Merlin,

No - I bought a Focus Coupe Cabriolet in a bid to buy something a little bit different that should also be reasonably cheap to look after.

Same jiggly ride, although the car feels nicely balanced. I think the extra weight of the roof in the back does it no harm in that respect.

Everything works, roof doesn't leak, and it handles almost as well as an ordinary Focus, which means brilliantly.

Going back to the Merc, the one I drive had a slightly sporting spec, so it's probably possible to get one that rides better.

The car was just a bit too much money for me, so I didn't pursue it.

I liked the X-type Jag, but it had to be an auto because there's no room to the left of the clutch pedal in a manual.

A late used manual was on budget, but an auto mean't it was near Merc money/too much for me.

Edited by ifithelps on 31/03/2009 at 14:42

Thanks ifithelps - not sure if it does help but definitely interesting...

I know what you mean about Merc's being a bit too much money. Even though they are well within my reach, I find it difficult to justify spending such a large amount for something that gets you from A-B at the end of day. It seems much more sensible to save for the children's education and retirement. On the other hand you only live once.

Edited by merlin on 31/03/2009 at 15:33

Have test driven Alfa Mito at Brighouse dealer -and ordered one -for delivery in 12-14 weeks although they say recent ones due in May are now arriving.
No trouble - took out a 1.4 silver one in Veloce trim (think she would have liked to sell me that one) which had just come into stock. Reckon it drives well, looks and feels well put together and looks the business.
Alfa red, lusso trim. Looking forward to it! Fair part ex and safeguard and tamk of fuel thrown in -hard to get any real discounting though !
Merlin - if you take a test drive then let me know how you get on.

My thoughts are that despite the pretty good reviews its not quite as well built as say an Audi, but a lot closser than other Citroens have been
I am in the market for a new car and wanted an Auto diesel I looked at the Volvo v50 and the service I got from the dealer was great and the car engine and auto box excellent but there was just no enough room in the car for me as I really wanted a higher seat position to enable easy access .

I tried a Mercedes B class out and yes it did every thing reasonably well but I am not really a lover of mercs but the point is at the moment Mercedes have an offer on the you can upgrade to a B 180 CDI plus automatic transmission and pay the price of a standard B 150 with free auto box this puts the price of the car in Toyota Verso and Golf plus money so what do you do its got to be a contender !! so there goes the thinking its a merc it must be expensive ??

I have found the way you get treated by different dealership varies and does not really depend on the marque its just pot luck .
At the weekend I phoned to arrange a test drive in a S max I turned up as arranged to discover the car was not there at the dealership the salesman apologised and said he would arrange for me to have a 24 hour test to apologize as yet i have not heard anything and I doubt I will and to be honest if they cannot arrange for a car to be at the dealership as arranged would I want to buy a car from them

Edited by cuthbert on 02/04/2009 at 23:48

Difficult to buy a new car - Avant
Cuthbert, make sure you get a long test drive in a B-class. I had a B200 CDI and it's a good car in many ways but the combination of 4-cylinder diesel and CVT automatic made for a droning noise not unlike a London taxi. Almost as infuriating were the LHD bias of the windscreen wipers and the boneshaking, apparently unalterable, 700 rom idling speed.
Difficult to buy a new car - DP
My neighbours have a B150 petrol on a 56 plate, and are well pleased with it, although it is perhaps unsurprisingly, completely gutless. However, they do a piffling annual mileage mostly local A to B running about, and couldn't justify the extra cost of the diesel or higher powered petrol versions.

They have two kiddies under 3 and find it very practical and easy to live with. 100% reliable so far, too.
Avant

Thanks for the advice I did ask if I was getting close to a deal would they let me have the car for 24 hours test drive and they said it would be okay

DP

.The offer was to pay the price of the B150 and get the diesel B180 with auto box . The demonstrator( a B180 sport auto) which i tried out had just just been put on the road that day so hopefully it would loosen up with miles but I am sure you are right the B150 would be pretty gutless.
Thanks for the advice