1997 1.3 Class B write off? - savage
Hey folks, new to site but looking for some advice.

We were rear ended by another driver a month or so ago. He admitted full liablity and alls well on that front.

Our insurers told us to take car and have 2 quotes done. Both garages said that given the fact its a 12 year old car, it was still perfectly drivable but was probably not cost effective to repair.

The other insurers then contacted us and said that they were sending their own engineer out to asses and to give a quote.

Now to the point of the matter. The only dammage to the car was the back left tail light was smashed , the thin band of metal below the light, above the bumper was dented in, the bumper had no damage, the boot lid fine ( no damage at all, not even scratched). And the panel between the petrol cap and the light had a small smooth dent about the size of a hand.

The insurance engineer came out and looked at the broken light, took the millage and the chassis number and then proceeded to tell me that the cost of repair would be estimated at £800 ish and that the car cost was less so the car would be a c or d write off. (A direct quote by the way).

We then got a cheque and a letter from the insurance company telling us that the car had now bee registered as a class B write off and the body should be crushed and some servicable parts could be sold for salvage.

Am i right to question this? The engineer spent about 5 mins in total looking at a broken light and deemed that my car should be crushed?

p.s. this car has passed its MOT's for the past 2 years with only superficial work and had its last MOT 9 weeks before the accident.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2009 at 18:36

1997 1.3 Class B write off? - 9000
The insurance company can't make you crush the car.

Contrary to what most people believe Cat B cars can be returned to the road - you would need to take it for a VIC test (which is only an identity check).

If I was you I would ring the DVLA and establish for certain whether or not the car can be returned to the road- they are the only people who can tell you they will also be able to tell you how to organise a VIC check.
1997 1.3 Class B write off? - savage
I phoned the DVLA who told me that the car could not be returned to the road under any circumstances if it was a B, even if it had a VIC check. That only category C or below can be returned to the road.

I just wondered if anyone had had any experience of the same problem?
I would challenge that information- did they actually look up your car on their database? Sounds like they didn't bother.

In any case this may be irrelevant- see www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/VIC%20leaflet%...f

the bottom of page 2 suggests that as long as you've got the logbook you're OK to carry on using it- you will just have problems if you ever need a new logbook- eg if you move house or it is sold as a VIC would be needed.

In your position I would call DVLA back- refer them to this leaflet and seek further advice- escalate to a manager if necessary.

Also it's probably worth calling VOSA on 0870 60 60 440 to see if it actually has a VIC marker on it.

Good luck

also some useful info here: www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVeh...6

see the section on vehicle identity check
1997 1.3 Class B write off? - Robin the Technician
A most intersting read. It seems you have to get the VIC check done - THEN let the DVLA know, not vice versa. They cannot argue with a VIC check that's been passed by VOSA.

The information on the web page link is clearly relating to VOSA - so it's official information.

A great find - WELL DONE!!