97 1.3 key barrel problem... - Kool PT
Hi all

Wonder if you can help me, I have a predictable issue with locks on my Ford Fiesta but my situation is slightly different from others that I have seen reported on this site.

When I got it the key would unlock the passenger door, boot lock & ignition but would only lock the driver side door.

I fitted a new key barrel from a Ford Ka so now I can at least open the driver door without climbing in through the passenger door every time. This indicates to me that the lock itself is not faulty. However, pressing in the door handle from the inside to lock it doesn't work either (it does on the passenger and rear doors).

I have a few questions:

1. Does this sound like the actual lock could still be at fault?

2. If the barrel is the problem, is it likely that it is broken or just incompatable with the key the previous owner was using (ie was it fitted in an attempt to fix a previous problem without regard to the fact that it required a separate key to operate)? Once I removed it from the door, I sprayed it with WD40 and visually inspected but couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

3. If the barrel is simply incompatable, who would be able to reprogram it without serious cost to me?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/03/2009 at 18:55

97 1.3 key barrel problem... - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Think your problem lies with the actual latch mechanism being worn and jamming up the lock function. Its a common problem as there are several parts of the lock made out ofplastic which wear.
The lock is easy enough to replace, you've done the hard bit already getting the door card off and unsticking the thiefproof cover.
97 1.3 key barrel problem... - Old Codger
Read the instruction book! It says (I can't be bothered to hunt it out) something about turning the key back and forth a number of times to revert to normal opening. Funny thing is I can't get mine to act as yours.