Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - mustangman
Just wondered if others have had this problem.

Most of the time, when I click on the homepage I only get the two rows of links at the top. The rest of the page is blank, although I have noticed the text "my content" appears at the left hand side in brackets.
I can get to the back room etc using the links.

Perhaps one time in twenty the page loads ok.

I have tried deleting cookies, temp internet files etc. but nothing seems to work.

It's not that I'm that desperate to see the page, it's just a bit frustrating.

( I'm using WinXP, with IE8 in compatability mode, if it helps )
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - jag
likewise, jag.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - Hamsafar
The layout is screwed and the right-hand column is now missing in Safari 4 beta, but is appears OK in Opera.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - FocusDriver
Hamsafar, I'm an XHTML hand coder and to my mind, this site is very well built. Oddly, it seems faster this evening.

Opera? Nobody cares. Safari? OK a couple of people care. But with browser compliance as it is (and IE is not the dog it once was), it's now the upstarts which harbour glitches which need work-arounds. I simply don't give a fig about Opera, never have. Safari only ever gets tested cursorily.

Developers simply cannot ensure that a very dynamic site like this works for every viewer unfortunately. Don't blame us, blame the manufacturer of lousy browsers. And nowadays, that's no longer Microsoft!
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - ifithelps
I've never had any bother viewing this site using Firefox.
Safari 4 is the most compliant and the fastest browser and is the first browser to score 100/100 on the acid3 test IE trails all of the other browsers on standards compliance. I am using Opera only for troubleshooting this site.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - rtj70
I get problems on this site at times but no at the moment. In fact it loads fast for me on a 20Mbit/s connection.

I was having problems for a while and I am currently trying out Google Chrome. Still the site stops responding every now and again but it could mean it's a browser or ISP issue for me.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - i m j
I had this problem and found the link stored in my bookmarks was wrong, something must have changed about the site, can't remember what it was before but you now want www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.htm
IE trails all of the other browsers on standards compliance

Not for real-world development it doesn't. It hasn't for some time. One of the joys of my job leading a team of 10 is telling them where to stick their uber-pedantic habits picked up from purists on their blogs lest they spend all year preparing a site. It's a waste of time and money. And, when you look at the deeply-held, almost faith-like belief in despising Microsoft technology within this industry, it's a wonder some sites ever get off the ground.

Acid3's just shown a javascript error and is not working for some reason. A bit like the bobby.com site extolling the virtues of compliance and then, when you paste their URL into their checker, their own site fails. Poor show.

Do your sites conform to WCAG 2.0 Hamsafar?

IMO, this HJ site is well designed, works well and gives me all the information I need. It it looks a bit dodgy on Safari or Opera, then so bloomin' what. The usage of these browsers is miniscule and will hopefully remain so.
Hamsafar, I've just re-read my post and I sound angry and a bit spiteful don't I. I didn't mean to. Apologies. Truth be told I'm jsut about to have dinner, blood sugar a bit low...excuses excuses...
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - ifithelps
...I sound angry and a bit spiteful...

FocusDriver,

Dunno about that, but you sound like you know what you're talking about.

Not that I would be the best judge on a topic of this nature. :)

Edited by ifithelps on 26/02/2009 at 19:54

IIH thanks for the gentle encouragement. I do know what I'm talking about - not on cars which I love, but on this monumentally tedious subject!

Thing is, the subject, like many, is SO wide that nobody's wrong or right, just differently inclined. So for the record Hamsafar, please just ignore my wee rant. It's hopeless getting het-up about websites. I should know, I often do and it hasn't brought me happiness yet.

Meanwhile IIH is thinking of the delivery of his new CC3 ;)

Don't worry FocusDriver, no offence taken!

For me, this site has a layout problem when the font is reduced by the user.
At the top of the page is a blue horizontal navigation bar and a grey one underneath.
Normally these are both the same length, but if the font is increased or decreased,the length of these bars changes in proportion to each other, because the text on them dictates that. When decreased, the blue bar shrinks in length, and it's length dictates the width of the forum in the white body of the page, when this shrinks, the adverts and "Honest John's Back Room" column disappear to the bottom in a long column under the forum posts. This is no problem, but just my two penneth.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/02/2009 at 20:36

Yep, it's a fair point Hamsafar (in stark contrast to my earlier reaction). It's caused by 'floats' and those are tricky to customise wihtout having knock-on effects. There are untold variables involved when truly perfect cross-browser degradation is the objective to the point where achieving perfection just isn't feasible for any business. It can take a £10,000 website (displaying perfectly in IE, FF and, usually by luck, Safari; good for 96% of users) to £50k if you're after every home user seeing exactly the same thing.

I'm boring myself now...stop...
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - harry m
i am having exactly the same problem as the first post,i also run xp but with ie7.think problem started when site recently revamped.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - Altea Ego
HTML standards and tests don't count or matter. If it doesn't work on Internet explorer which has a usage share of 70% of all web requests it doesn't meet the required standards.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - maz64
I don't visit the home page very often, but I do remember seeing this problem a few times recently. Using Firefox 3.0.6 under Linux (CentOS 5).

If you point the W3C web validation thing validator.w3.org/ at the HJ home page, it reports 152 errors and 19 warnings. Do you think these could be reduced without compromising the quality of the site?
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - henry k
>>...,i also run xp but with ie7.
>>
no problems with XP & IE7 at my end
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - cepi
Opera works fine here, no probs whatsoever. Do you use any add-blocker or something?
i take it that this is not seen as a problem,i can live with it just wondering what causes it.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - Stuartli
HJ's website loads up at lightning speed for me with Firefox (I use Finetune Firefox to tweak the settings automatically as it's easier than doing it manually); that includes the just released Beta 3 of Firefox 3.1, which I've installed this afternoon.

Edited by Stuartli on 12/03/2009 at 15:33

Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - rtj70
Loads fast for me too although I do have 20Mbit/s broadband.

Service is running and reduced capacity servers at the moment so some errors or non-connections may occur. The admin people are obviously aware.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - mike hannon
Just tried the home page for the first time in ages and it loaded quite fast and seems ok. I'm now what I'm told is called a 'switcher' with Mac OS X 4.11 and Firefox 3.
The laughable broadband available here 5km from the exchange on a dodgy line in rural France is 1Mb and, according to test sites, works out at about 650kb. Still better than the 50kb I had before, I guess.
it's not about the speed,as in original post only get the black and the blue top 2 lines.
Problem with the HJ homepage - doesn't load - Falkirk Bairn
SLOW -seems adverts are holding up loading