156 Bonnet Catch - Humpy
Last time i checked the oil on my 156 I had trouble shutting it due to the catch having corroded and sticking open. Having greased it and shut it, 2 months later I now can't open it, I suppose due to sticking and corrosion. I've tried getting underneath and spraying it with WD40 but to no avail. Tried spraying from the front as well.

Has anyone had a similar problem and has anyone had any ;uck in overcoming it.

Thanks.
Humphrey
156 Bonnet Catch - El Dingo
I don't know the 156, but a basic suggestion:

Get someone to sit/bounce *gently* over the catch area (does this car have one or two catches?) while you try operating the bonnet release lever.

Do you do many miles? '...two months later...'???

El Dingo (Martin).
156 Bonnet Catch - Humpy
Problem is that it seems to be quite well made and there's no movement!
156 Bonnet Catch - Cyd
Many cars have lubrication of the bonnet catches as an annual service requirement. Unfortunately many outlets that offer "budget" servicing leave out items such as this. The consequences of this inattention are as you describe above.

Try getting someone to lean on the bonnet as you pull the handle to see if you can get it released. Once you've got the bonnet open strip out the latch and thoroughly clean & lubricate it - don't forget the cable too.
156 Bonnet Catch - Humpy
HI,
Thanks for the suggestions. Last time I opened it I should have greased it. It's only been serviced once at 12000 it's now doen 19000. Tried bouncing on it. I think that I'm going to have to remove the cadin plastic lever and pull hard with some mole grips to try to release it. Tried coming at it from underneath with wd40 buthad no luck. I'm just wondering how the Alfa garage are going to release it!

Humphrey
156 Bonnet Catch - Steve G
You need someone to press hard down over the bonnet catch while you give the cable a good tug.
Its surprising the catch has corroded after only 12k. My 156 catch is fine and its 3 years old with 65K on the clock. Are you sure its corrosion ? perhaps its misaligned ?
Good Luck

Steve
156 Bonnet Catch - Humpy
Definitely corroded. Is the catch made out of aluminium because it seems to have dried out and there was a white dust that looks like aluminium oxide that was stopping the catch closing? That's right i remember now, i didn't have trouble opening it before, just closing it. The catch had stuck open.
156 Bonnet Catch - Cyd
Most likely that the latch is made of steel coated with one of several zinc-based anti-corrosion coatings. Hence the powder you see is zinc oxide.

Watch you don't break the cable pulling too hard - the latch end may be corroded too. It might prove very difficult to feed a new cable through the car to replace the old one.
156 Bonnet Catch - El Dingo
Humpy,

If you remove the lever inside the car and pull the cable with mole grips you'll most likely just pull it out of the clamp/adjuster at the other end!

Have you tried looking through the bonnet grille, or under the car? If you can reach through/up with a screwdriver you might be able to lever the catch open.

El Dingo (Martin).
156 Bonnet Catch - Humpy
thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the screwdriver first!