'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - AllFumbs
I've been looking for a chain-cam-engined, reliable, economical, small-ish diesel automatic that has been sold for long enough and in sufficient quantities for it to be available inexpensively secondhand. I'd hoped for a proper i.e. torque-converter, auto for its driving-characteristics but it's proving hard to find. (Forum-members variously warn me off the MMT and AMT 'autos' offered by Toyota and Colt, respectively, as unpleasant to drive.)

Could anyone recommend me something I may have missed? (If it's belt-cam, so be it ? reluctantly.)

And if the diesel/proper-auto combination just isn't available, what would be your choice of small-ish petrol auto?

Thank you,

AF.

'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - ifithelps
Kia Picanto has a torque converter auto and it's been around a few years.

Don't know much about the car, but Picantos in general seem to be well-liked by their owners.

On the down side, it's petrol only and there might not be many autos on the secondhand market.
'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - retgwte
Perodua MYVI
Daihatsu Sirion
Suzuki Swift

none diesel I'm afraid, let me know if you find one

'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - stunorthants26
Id obviously second the Sirion. The Swift is a nice car, but the auto has a big engine so not so economical.
I wouldnt recommend the Picanto unless you like travelling at a leisurely pace - it is quite slow.
The last model Yaris auto is very nice if you dont mind having a 3/4 year old car - we tested one a while back and it is a very relaxing car to drive.
'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - b308
Have you actually tried the semi autos? It seems that you've taken the Forums' opinions at face value, but as there are lots of these types of gearchange cars sold it would seem that this may simply be prejudice... I don't like a lot of cars but would always say that its up to the buyer, what suits one may not suit another...

Everyone is different, so put away your preconceptions and go and find a Yaris D4D auto and give it a try, you never know, you might like it!

Edited by b308 on 23/02/2009 at 11:36

Absolutely - id read they werent up to much.
Ive driven a Citroen C2 and a Yaris with these semi autos and while the Citroen was a joke, the Yaris is alot better, just not really comparable to an auto.
But you have to test them to know it yourself - try doing lots of low speed driving around town - it highlights just how far behind a proper auto they are and how much you have to drive around the gearbox.
Fair point, b308: no, I haven't tried any of the semi-autos and perhaps ought.

Over the last couple of days I've been umming and aahing over which is more important to me: not having to change gear, or the best possible fuel-consumption. If the price of having both (in theory, at least) is making do with a variety of auto that lacks the predictability and useful forward-creep of a torque-converter kind maybe that's not too high a one to pay.

Speaking of price, I note from the usual used-car websites that used Yaris D-4D MMTs [what's in a name, eh?] start at around £6,000; which got me thinking: I've read good things about VW/Audi/Skoda DSG autos. I could have a Skoda Superb for that sort of money, with undoubted comfort and the likelihood of 50 m.p.g. on my non-frenetic m'way jaunts.

Thinking-cap off; driving-gloves on, methinks.

Thank you, too, stunorthants26, retgwte and ifithelps: yes, it does!

Regards,

AF.
Thank you, HJ: in my wish to find a small(ish) diesel auto of Japanese manufacture (or derivation) I'd erm, overlooked the Fiat. I shouldn't have done, of course, what with the Multijet diesel engine's fine reputation. And now with your endorsement of the auto trans' ringing in mine ears I'd best have a look at it.

I think I'm going to enjoy these test-drives...!

AF.
'Proper' small(ish) auto diesel? - retgwte
qubo is bigger than youre looking for i feel?
Hello, again, retgwte.

Qubo bigger than I was really wanting? Yes(-ish).

I'm really after: chain-cam diesel; not having to change gear; and the best part of 60 m.p.g.

If Qubo's bodywork with a tad too much of the avoirdupois takes the edge off the fuel-consumption I'll try to console myself with the knowledge that on the occasions when I need more carrying-capacity (than, say, the last-generation Yaris I'd been considering) there! I've already got it. (I'd also been thinking of a v. secondhand Yaris Verso for that very reason.)

What with circumstances being as they are I may decide against purchasing new, in any case. Then I'd be quite happy with a last-gen' Yaris petrol/torque-converter auto or a similarly-equipped Micra frog, and renting a bigger vehicle as and when.

I think the test-drives that I need to take are going to be very interesting indeed.

AF.
My mum had a Yaris Verso manual 2002 for 40k and loved it aside from pig ugly looks, so needs to be a dark colour which hides the slab sides. Exceptionally practical though with seats that fold into the floor.