Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - tawse
I was just over on the Housepricecrash forum and noticed that someone had posted the below in a thread about cars:

"Much more typical is large clearance through employee only schemes (or those extendable into friends, family, or employees of other companies in the supply chain). One of the UK based Japanese manufacturers did this last month, and offered around 30-45% off their small hatches and larger people carriers and 4x4s. I was tempted by a brand new 58 plate model (think Qashqai, CRV, Rav-4) down from 21.5K to 10,995. As long as they can clear their stocks in this covert manner there is no reason to lower prices at main dealers."

Made my jaw drop, especially when they seem to be in denial about offering discounts to Joe Public.

T.

Edited by tawse on 22/02/2009 at 22:54

Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - Pugugly
I got a discount on my new CRV well within the ranges discussed on here. Roll on March 2 !
How? Where? Do you work for Honda?

Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - Pugugly
No just went there with a wedge and dangled it under their noses.
Any chance of letting me know which dealer.

My local dealer not only refused to offer more than £500 off the list price but admitted that the CRV was between 1 and 2K cheaper up the road in Cardiff. I am no mug being in business myself so just walked away, especially when they tried to make out their had 'superior after-sales service'.

But even 2K off, if that is the case in Cardiff, would not be enough in the current climate.

Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - Hondaphile
I got a discount on my new CRV well within the ranges discussed on here.
Roll on March 2 !
Hey ! help me out here Pugugly. Don't want to know the spec of your CRV but would really like to know how much discount from List you got from the dealer
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - merlin
I was thinking about a CRV. I'm going to try a few local dealers but if anyone can pass on details where these are going with a hefty discount then that would be appreciated.
This information getting out - and it was bound to - is just going to put more people off buying.

I mean, why buy now and be thought of as a mug by the car makers? What if you buy and then the next week they implement massive reductions?

Knowing that these deals have been done now makes me just aiming to keep my cash in my pocket.
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - ifithelps
...keep my cash in my pocket...

A couple of things make me question that.

Many cars are nett imports and I reckon the low pound means there are more exchange rate-led price rises to come.

Ford are due another increase in April, I understand.

And speaking of the low pound, the Government is about to start quantitative easing - printing money by another name.

This must devalue the pound in your pocket and it will certainly depress exchange rates even further.

So the ifithelps crystal ball says prices in money terms will rise a little over the next few months and it's impossible to make meaningful predictions any further ahead.

I think you need to be selfish when buying a car - buy a car when you want or need to.

Provided it's the right time to buy for you, that's all that really matters.
We are weeks if not days away from a meltdown in the EU - watch the Euro tank then.

Anyhow, the cars I am interested in are made here in the UK and judging by what I have read in recent weeks - i.e. all the component factories closing and wanting tax-payer bailouts - most of the parts that go into them are made here also.

How the makers can even dare to think of raising prices then is just scandalous - oh, and economic suicide.

I thnkyou are right about the selfish bitand buying a car that suits you when you need it - I have foolishly listened to a friend who has whsipered over my shoulder about not spending too much on a car, not buying a 4x4, etc, and it is almost as if I have let him live my life at my expense when I should have just gone and bought a few months back. Oh well, live and learn.

Edited by tawse on 24/02/2009 at 10:52

Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - MVP
I think buyers and sellers are in a situation to see who blinks first.

Car manufacturers have many unsold cars, but to sell them at a price that people will pay, will lead to further massive losses in used car values , so they want to try to avoid a vicious deflationary circle.

The stockpiled cars are RHD, so realistically it's only Ireland (who are in deep financial do do anyway) who would be customers.

The euro area is in serious trouble, and the current exchange rate unsustainable - hairdresser gossip , was saying her friend has just got back from Cyprus where a cup of coffe was costing £5 !!!

Whichever way you look at it, the days of cheap and easy credit have gone, and future car sales will be a fraction of their previous levels

MVP

Edited by Webmaster on 25/02/2009 at 00:22

The stockpiled cars are RHD so realistically it's only Ireland (who are in deep financial
do do anyway) who would be customers.

You mean apart from us Brits I assume?

Yes, it is only us and the Irish they can sell the stockpiled cars to - oh, and Japan but that would be sending coals to Toyota (which is both a city and a company).

Edited by Webmaster on 25/02/2009 at 00:22

Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - jc2
Japan may be RHD but their legal requirements prevent the import of most cars but the majority of the third world is RHD-not that they buy many cars.
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - Alanovich
Apparently, 75 countries have RHD.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_hand_drive#Countries_wi...c
Any chance of getting the name of that dealer Pugugly - or are you holding onto it until you pick up your shiny new car?

Judging by how many on here are interested in a CRV maybe we should buy a 'fleet' from Honda direct ourselves.
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - rtj70
Sounds like Pugugly has quite a deal. I'm sure when he's able to reply he will ;-)
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - Xtype
Im after a CRV for a neighbour. Can you advise how much you payed?
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - rtj70
None of our business what Pugugly paid. Check out your local Honda dealer I would think is best.
Japanese UK makers offer BIG discounts to staff - ifithelps
If you are serious about buying a CR-V, then do a bit of research on the giant shopping catalogue, also known as the internet.

HJ has provided all the links you need to quickly establish the going rate for your choice of vehicle.

Then, as rtj70 says, go to your local dealer, and as PU says earlier in this thread: "dangle some wedge under their noses".

But only do this if you are serious about buying.

The title of this thread is a little misleading.

Nissan offered heavily discounted Qashqais, X-Trails and Notes, but I've not heard of any other Japanese UK manufacturer doing the same.

Nissan have had two 'releases' in the last couple of months with up to £8k knocked off the higher price motors.