2000 1.8tddi. very poor fuel usage. - mondeo lover
hi all,
can anybody give me any ideas as to why my focus 1.8tddi estate is only doing about 315 - 370 miles to a full tank of diesel. i have no obvious leaks!! no smells of diesel!!! it has had a full service!! it doesnt get thrashed!!! i just have no ideas of where to start, so some help would be great before i stick it in a garage. thanks .

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2009 at 21:06

2000 1.8tddi. very poor fuel usage. - Peter.N.
I have met this problem with a couple of the older 1.8 engines and have been completely baffled by it, only the Ford engine though, never on any other make. As you say, there are no signs of excessive fuel delivery or ineficient burning. The only other obvious causes would be binding brakes or something else causing excessive friction, but I am sure you will have noticed that. Is the engine running at normal temperature? I can only suggest that you get the pump calibration checked. Has this started suddenly or gradually?
hi peter.
yes the engine is running at the normal temp, everything is running normal thats why its so puzzling mate. it was a graduall thing . how do i go about getting the pump calibration tested? how much would that set me back? main dealer or anyone?
2000 1.8tddi. very poor fuel usage. - L'escargot
Is the odometer accurate?
2000 1.8tddi. very poor fuel usage. - 547HEW
Has the timing belt been changed? (might be possible to get retarded injection timing if belt not correctly fitted).
hi,
yes the belt was changed, but it was changed a long time b4 this problem started.
i just have no other ideas.
2000 1.8tddi. very poor fuel usage. - AndyT
It may be a blocked, or even broken cat? You could try hitting it and see if it rattles.
You say you don't thrash it, but maybe you should try and see if full performance is available.
hi,
cat seems fine, thrashed it like mad today and i have not lost any power or performance whatsoever. notied firsthing in the morning tho it has started smoking like a goodun. still just dont know.
thanks