Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Cliff Pope
Does anyone know the purpose of the 3 loose rubber rings that dither about on most pump hoses?
I used to think they were to prevent chafe, but watching them this morning I noticed that the rings drop to the bottom of the looped hose, leaving an unprotected section of hose to rub on the edge of the kerb.
What are they for? Why 3?
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Dorian
Maybe they are there to stop drips running down the pipe from the pump and into your tank / all over your hands?

Just a (really flakey) theory...

Dorian.
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - BrianW
I think that they are intended to prevent chafe, but just don't do it very well.
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - L'escargot
Does anyone know the purpose of the 3 loose rubber rings
that dither about on most pump hoses?
I used to think they were to prevent chafe, but watching
them this morning I noticed that the rings drop to the
bottom of the looped hose, leaving an unprotected section of hose
to rub on the edge of the kerb.
What are they for? Why 3?

Haven't seen those rubber rings for yonks !! I'm usually too busy watching how much I'm going to be charged, instead of looking at the floor. I do look down in public toilets though, ever after I saw the graffiti message "Don't look down, but you're ....... on your shoes" !!
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - matt35 {P}
Cliff,
Saw a good one years ago at Dover car ferry toilet - grafiti on hand dryer..."press here for Thatcher speech".
Matt35
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - svpworld
I belive they are to add a counterweight to the hose so as to prevent it from tangling up. They also protect it when it hits the side of your car, or the car whichever! Main reason though I suspect is tangling and twisting.

Simon

OK Forcourt rant. Why do people queue up, sometimes out into the street, just so they can use a pump on the same side as the filler cap? The pipes are long enough to reach right around - surprise they are designed so to do!
When I pass them I then get daggers for overtaking! (if I can )
Forecourt pumps using two sides - cockle {P}
Graham

Some hoses don't reach round, especially a Transit or somesuch.
My forecourt rant is why the DERV pump is always the first one you come to, therefore with the Transit I block up the access to the other pumps in the row; I don't want to, there just isn't another pump I can use. Basically poor forecourt design.

My other pet hate at the moment is that all our local ESSO stations are becoming Tesco's and unfortunately they seem to be more interested in selling groceries than taking money for fuel, not unusual to take 15 minutes to fill up and pay at my local one due to the queues at the check-out. Sadly I have a company agency card for ESSO so can't go elsewhere but I never fill my car there, I use the 'proper' petrol station up the road but how long he's going to survive just selling fuel I hate to think because they continually undercut him by 0.5p/litre.

Cockle
Forecourt pumps using two sides - Dynamic Dave
My other pet hate at the moment is that all our local ESSO
stations are becoming Tesco's
Sadly I have a company agency card for ESSO
how long he's going to survive just selling fuel because
they continually undercut him by 0.5p/litre.

What about Esso's price promise of matching the prices of other garages within a 3 mile radius? Your local Esso garage is breaking that promise if Tesco's is undercutting by ½p/litre.
Forecourt pumps using two sides - Cliff Pope
OK Forcourt rant. Why do people queue up, sometimes out into
the street, just so they can use a pump on the
same side as the filler cap? The pipes are long enough
to reach right around - surprise they are designed so to
do!
When I pass them I then get daggers for overtaking! (if
I can )

>>

I agree Graham. It's part of the English love of queuing, even when there is no need.
Look at shops that have 2 or more assistants behind the counter, and how people love queuing for the busy one instead of going up to the free one.
Probably even if you had a queue labelled 'This queue is going nowhere' people would join it.

Back to the rubber rings. As they always, by design, fall to the lowest part of the loop, they cannot protect the bits that rub on the kerb, bumper, roof-rack if you are a wrong-side filler.
So what are they for? Why usually 3, not 4, 10 or 58?
Perhaps it is just an old superstition, and they bring good luck.
Forecourt pumps using two sides - Graham
I went to Eaao on a motorcycle as my rear light was out. I found that you could buy eggs, nappies and barbeques but not automotive lamps!
Forecourt pumps using two sides - Graham
Sorry that should be ESSO, obviously! My a and s keys must be too close together today.
Forecourt pumps using two sides - BrianW
That's where a spare bulb kit comes in handy, fix vehicle now, replace bulb in kit when next able to do so.
Except that last time I had a dipped light go, two went at once!
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I have pulled the hose out against the counterweight a time or two and tried to avoid the hose grinding muck into my paintwork.. Not pleasant and I'd rather sit in the queue for a minute or two.
Suppose the rubber rings would tend to keep the hoses clean as they moved up and down.Remember the old leather strap dangling in the middle of your Sturmey Archers to keep the chrome shiny?
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Cliff Pope
Suppose the rubber rings would tend to keep the hoses clean
as they moved up and down.Remember the old leather strap dangling
in the middle of your Sturmey Archers to keep the chrome
shiny?

Nice one - 7/10 for that idea. It makes me start wondering what else could be made self-cleaning on the same principle. What about long streamers dangling from the end of the aerial to keep the car clean? Or hula-hoops round small boys' necks?
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - terryb
Cliff

Nice try. I can't imagine anything that would keep small boys' necks clean!
:o)
Terry
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - BrianW
"Nice try. I can't imagine anything that would keep small boys' necks clean!"

Shirt collars seem to do the job. (ask any mother ;-)) )
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Dwight Van Driver
Cliff

You may see some lorry drivers with strips of linen etc tied to their rear view mirrors. Forward motion creates turbulence, linen flaps and bashes against mirror glass and keeps it clean.

DVD
Cliff
You may see some lorry drivers with strips of linen etc
tied to their rear view mirrors. Forward motion creates turbulence, linen
flaps and bashes against mirror glass and keeps it clean.
DVD

Tried that on my pushbike rear view mirror, but I couldn't get up enough speed to make it work !!
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Arfur
>>What about long streamers dangling from the end of the aerial ?

SWMBO attached some red and white ribbons to the roof ariel of her car during the world cup this year. During this period I took said car on a 400 mile round trip. The flapping of the ribbons against the roof was enough to leave a dull patch in the centre of the roof where the top layer of paint has been worn off. Not happy about that one. Thankfully the car is silver so these things aren't too obvious. If it had been my car (dark green) I would have done my nut. But then again I wouldn't attach ribbons to my car....
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Dizzy {P}
One of my daughter's friends had a vibration start up on his car, complete with expensive sounding noise. It gave him several days of worry before he found that it was caused by the flapping of the England flag on his radio aerial.
I have pulled the hose out against the counterweight a time
or two and tried to avoid the hose grinding muck into
my paintwork.. Not pleasant and I'd rather sit in the queue
for a minute or two.
Suppose the rubber rings would tend to keep the hoses clean
as they moved up and down.Remember the old leather strap dangling
in the middle of your Sturmey Archers to keep the chrome
shiny?

Mine did more than just keep it shiny ~ it wore it away !! And pre-war chrome was a lot better than it is nowadays !!
Forecourt pumps - Rubber rings - Ian Cook
And pre-war chrome was a lot better
than it is nowadays !!

Which war would that be, escargot?
;-)

Ian Cook
And pre-war chrome was a lot better
>> than it is nowadays !!
Which war would that be, escargot?
;-)
Ian Cook

As the vast majority of patriotic UK subjects and their war-time allies are aware, the expressions "post-war" and "pre-war" have always referred to the (1939-1945) second world war. Don't blame me ~ I didn't invent the expressions. Bring back National Service, that's what I say !!

And it's L'escargot, if you don't mind !!