Shoddy workmanship - advice please - aj
Recently had new rear shock absorbers fitted to my Mk 3 VW Golf. As soon as I drove away from the garage I noticed that there was a rattling / knocking noise coming from the nearside rear of the car. I thought that this was being caused by a piece of loose trim or the parcel shelf.

Subsequent investigation shows that the noise is due to the nut at the top of the suspension strut (the bit inside the boot of the car) appears to have been cross threaded. It is jammed tight but leaves about 3/4 inch of free play in the top of the strut. This means that the shock absorber is loose and is banging against the top mount every time the suspension is depressed.

Clearly I will be taking the car back to the place where this was fitted. Could someone advise me if this is potentially dangerous and what the correct remedy for the problem is (given that the nut is jammed on). I have no confidence in the garage which carried out the work. Any help would be appreciated.
Shoddy workmanship - advice please - Ian D
This could potentially be dangerous especially in bumpy corners and could upset the stability of the car. They will have to remove the nut, either with a lot of force, a nut splitter or a grinder and replace the strut with a new one (and of course a new nut).

Once they have done this I would check the rest of the attachments (eg lower strut bolt/nut) for equally shoddy workmanship.

Good luck
Ian
Shoddy workmanship - advice please - John Davis
By his carelesssness, the technician has turned your shock absorber into a quite effective mechanical hammer which, in time, would destroy the mounting. A basic requirement, for shock absorbers, is that the top and bottom fittings should have no free play, except for some "give" provided by the rubber mountings. It could be a genuine mistake and, quite possibly, especially on a lift, if the suspension was hanging slightly, the mechanic could have been misled into thinking that the mounting was tight. However, it does not say much for the quality control, by the garage, over the fitting of a vital component which, in certain circumstances, could jeopardize the safety of the vehicle.
Shoddy workmanship - advice please - John S
A clear defect, as described above, which the garage is obliged to correct - properly. If they are not helpful, local Tading Standards will no doubt make them see the error of their ways.

Regards

John S
Shoddy workmanship - advice please - Mike H
Very dangerous, do not drive car except back to whence it was butchered.