Problem fixed - saved £400! - fordprefect
I called at my Toyota main dealer today for a new rear wiper, casually mentioned the car had had developed a squeak when the clutch was depressed.

"Ah, yes, that will be the release fork sir, gearbox out, lubricate, 3 or 4 hours labour but no charge for the grease!"

I said "in that case I'll just turn the radio up" and went straight to my trusty independent, who cured the squeak by peeling back the gaiter and carefully applying spray grease to the pivot, 2 minutes, no charge!

Problem fixed - saved £400! - smokie
Fancy owning up to that here...people will be calling for you to be hanged for knowledge theft :-)

Bit of a result though :-)

Edited by smokie on 17/02/2009 at 19:52

Problem fixed - saved £400! - Alby Back
Result FP !

Hey Smokie, ( apologies to you FP for "thread theft" ) ;-) , did you find a suitable replacement for the Vectra yet ? Sorry if I've missed something ! Happy to be redirected if so...... !!
Problem fixed - saved £400! - smokie
Yes HB - 57 Mondeo Titanium X 2.5T with extras (gangsta privacy glass, sunroof, satnav, parking wotsits front and back etc). Very impressed with it too (except the consumption...!)
Like the sound of that. Nice.
Problem fixed - saved £400! - FocusDriver
You sound smug, which you definitely should. Up until a few years ago I was one of those poor innocent people who thought a £500 bill for new wheel cylinders must be what it cost. I mean, it had bright Ford badges everywhere and shiny clean floors. Heck, they probably buffed them up on their sleeves before they installed them.

What an idiot.

Edited by FocusDriver on 17/02/2009 at 19:57

Problem fixed - saved £400! - yorkiebar
But the lubricant wont be oe supplied so it won't be up to quality.

You will obviously have to have the job done again, and right, by the only qualified people, and so therefore you have just cost yourself money !

It's just 5 months out of warranty now so future servicing and fixing will be at my trusty independent, 5 minutes walk from home, I'll risk the non-standard lube!

Problem fixed - saved £400! - Lygonos
Many will suggest you need the lube BEFORE going to the dealer....
Problem fixed - saved £400! - quizman
I do not believe this story, Toyota dealers are the most trustworthy, honest, competent and decent people in the whole wide world.
And everone knows that Toyotas never go wrong.
And everone knows that Toyotas never go wrong.

Guess what, I drove SWMBO's Yaris today and that has a squeak too, so tomorrow it's under the bonnet with the spray grease (carefully NOT greasing anything but the fork pivot, of course!)
Wouldn't you just love to go to the parts desk at your Toyota dealer and say "Fork 'andles ?"

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/02/2009 at 19:35