Forester XT Auto or Manual? - billythechid
I am considering buying a Subaru Forester XT and would be grateful if backroomers have any views on the pro's and cons of the 5 speed manual and or 4 speed auto. In particular the reliability and function of either.

Thank you.

Forester XT Auto or Manual? - AlastairM
Had a manual for around 18 mths and have had no issues, nice box to use, slight problem selecting reverse in the very cold weather, but seems a strong box. No experience with the auto, but there is a good forum which can be accessed via subaruforester.org -all sorts of information there.
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - davros
FWIW, my 04 2.5 Legacy has the 4-speed auto box and I often wish it had a more modern 5-speeder.

No complaints whatsoever about reliability or ease of use, but the standard ratios are a little strange - in fact, decidedly performance-sapping. Sport mode is better, but I live in a very hilly area and tend to use it in tiptronic mode most of the time - where it works very well. It also has a fairly significant effect on fuel consumption, if that's a concern (I rarely see over 30 mpg, 27 is more usual on local roads).

"Slushomatic" would be a good description, although I'd still not go back to a manual box, thanks, even on the twisty bts.

Davros

Forester XT Auto or Manual? - stunorthants26
I had an auto XT and it was smooth and responsive. Not especially fast though. It comes down to which the individual likes really.
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - nick
I've just been through this process and bought an XT auto. It'll be an everyday hack for my wife and myself. A few things persuaded me to go for an auto:

laziness, I have other cars for manual gearbox fun and fancied a slushbox;
clutch life, looking on the forester forum 100k is good and my wife seems to be a bit heavier on them than normal;
if like me you're buying used, there's less likelihood it's been thrashed.

I tried an X auto and found that a little slow but the XT seemed ok on the test drive. I have yet to pick the car up, I'll give my thoughts when I've got it at the end of the week if it'd help.
The published fuel consumption figures for the auto don't seem to differ that much from the manual, perhaps in real life they will.
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - stunorthants26
30-32 mpg on the auto.
Thank you for the replies. Thanks Nick, your early impressions would be appreciated.How old is the car you are buying. Dealer or independant?

Cheers

Billy
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - Lygonos
I've got a manual 2.5XT - drives very easily (think Honda) and viciously quick in lower gears.

The auto saps outright acceleration, but is perfectly adequate for making good progress, and you don't have to worry about smoking the clutch which is apparently £500+ to replace - I sometimes wish I had one from the laziness point of view.

The Forester 2.5XT has massive torque, so you won't find it lacking urge like the NA Legacy, but from reading the subaruforester.org opinions, it sometimes is reluctant to go from 4th to 2nd on kickdown, so at 40-50mph you're probably better using the tiptronic changes for best overtaking.

General use seems to get 25-27mpg from auto or manual. Autos that do a lot of 'on-boost' or town work get about 23mpg. Gentle (65-70mph) motorway cruising will get 32-35mpg.

Reliability of either 'box is exemplary, and I agree with the slight sticking when the gearbox is cold (<0c overnight) but is slick again after a few hundred yards.

ps. make sure you get the 2.5 turbo, as it's fuel economy is identical to the 2.0 non-VVT version and the power/torque is much more accessible.

Cambelts need changed at 50k miles and are around 2-300 quid from a dealer.

Edited by Lygonos on 17/02/2009 at 14:42

Forester XT Auto or Manual? - nick
It's a 2003 on a 53 plate. 48k miles, one private owner, leather, good tyres which are all the same make and level of wear (worth checking, gives you an idea of how careful the owner was), from a Subaru main dealer and an approved used car so comes with 12months Subaru warranty and Subaru Assist breakdown cover. Just had the 5 year/50k cambelt service too. A good price I thought but then it is the motor trade colour of death (champagne gold aka metallic beige) so I suspect the champagne corks will pop when I drive it away! Her indoors is totally indifferent to the colour and we will probably keep it for several years.
I've looked at loads on ebay and Autotrader, the prices seem to be all over the place for similar cars but they do seem to be selling well. They seem to hold their prices too, 10 year olds with not too high mileage seem to be fetching £2-2.5k on ebay. Usually Subaru dealers are very highly priced, the one I bought from is a newish franchise who are also a Mercedes main dealer and seem to have lots of 'prestige' metal around like Porsches and new Corvettes. Perhaps they just wanted to shift a 5 year old car in a yuk colour.
Hopefully picking it up on friday, I'll let you know what I think.
Nick, yes i think i noticed your XT on autotrader. I'm planning the same route i.e. main dealer approved. Hope you enjoy it when it arrives.
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - Mapmaker
FWIW I've just bought a 2006 Legacy 2.0 manual RE sports estate for £3,750 FSSH, 105k, fully loaded (including a CD multichanger that I cannot find (it's somewhere under the passenger seat)).

I was looking for an 8-year old-ish version (i.e. 2000 facelift on), but realising that it was going to cost me £2k, buying something much newer for little more than a bit of extra loose change seemed a great idea.

I agree, the 'box is slightly notchy into reverse when stone cold. Otherwise, love it - particularly the throaty roar. (AKA the ghastly whine of a boxer.)

Oh yes, and I spent £250 on a warranty direct warranty. Seemed well worth it.

Edited by Mapmaker on 18/02/2009 at 11:46

Beware, the stereo is pants. Budget for some new after-market speakers as the old ones will be blown.
Aye the rear speakers especially are rubbish, but all will benefit with some 'named brand' replacements.

The newer Subaru autochangers are in the double-DIN head unit - just click the button for the disc slot you want and feed in the disc.
>>Aye the rear speakers especially are rubbish,

My front speakers sound as though they're made from a gazoo (sp?) too.

The autochanger is under the passenger seat - I can hear it whizzing away when I press the autochanger button. Haven't looked terribly hard for it, but I can see it and can't see how to get into it.
Forester XT Auto or Manual? - joc
I love the auto with tip function (sportshift) I think post '05 or maybe '06. Although it's really only an old fashioned 4 speed box, the tip function gives enough involvement to be interesting. The economy numbers are as good as the manual only because I think the gearing is very tall. Acceleration is relentless - less frenzied than the manual, again because of the taller gearing - how about 85mph in 2nd gear! Fuel 26mpg daily, 31 my very best on a long run. This is my first Subaru and I'll be keeping it for a long time - its qualities grow on you. My only regret: now I know how good they are I should have bought second hand and saved a few bob. I not some dealers were offering new '08s at £13,500, around 9k off list. Awesome value.
Joc
With the manual, 5th equals 23.2mph/1000rpm (26.6 in the Auto).

If there was a leggy 6th running 30mph/1000rpm (which the humungous torque could no doubt use easily) I'm sure it would have managed closer to the magic 225g/km CO2 to save £200 a year on VED and thus been hugely more popular with the public.

Of course the monster discounts wouldn't have then been available.. c'est la vie!

There must still be a stash of unregistered 08 vehicles as the Subaru.co.uk website still has details for the old model.