Introduction of ID Cards for some professions[R/O] - Armitage Shanks {p}
Flying on holiday this year? Standby for possible disruption! Pilots and other key workers at 2 airports will be unable to get "airside" without a full UK ID card (allegedly voluntary when it was introduced) but now compulsory for some people to get to their place of worK.
tinyurl.com/coe2z6

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2009 at 10:22

Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Pugugly
Struggling to think of a motoring link AS !
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - ifithelps
Photocard ID driving licences are compulsory.
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Dwight Van Driver
I guess you are anti AS but for an number of years did you not carry an ID card with personal details and photo. Something called a 1250 if my memoery serves me right?

Rgds

dvd
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Armitage Shanks {p}
Indeed I did but the information on it was not held in a giant database, accessible to scores of Government agencies and did not include my fingerprints an iris scan and personal medical details, amonth otjer things. If a photo and personal details are what are required my driving licence will serve me well We do not want/need a multi billion £ insecure Government run compter system to achieve a satisfactory result. Something simple and cheap could be devised for non-drivers.

Mods Driving licence = Motoring link but please delete thread if contentious and/or inappropriate

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 17/02/2009 at 09:42

Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - L'escargot
Photocard ID driving licences are compulsory.

Unless there's been a recent amendment, then according to DVLA .......... "Paper driving licences were issued from 1976 to 1998. At first they were green, then pink, and then pink and green. These licences are still valid. If you exchange or renew your licence, change your personal details, or get a replacement licence, you must apply for a photocard licence."
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - ifithelps
L'escargot,

Splitting hairs a bit, aren't we?

I think you know fine well what I meant and your post ends "...you must apply for a photocard licence".

The newest paper licences are now 10/11 years old.

Many holders will have moved in that time and should have a new licence, even if they haven't bothered to get one.

Prseumably, if you have to send an old licence away to have speeding points put on it, the DVLA will insist you buy a new one.

The address on my licence was at least 10 years out of date before I got around to updating it.

Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Hamsafar
It's not about the card (as in a bit of card with your photo on it), that's just the red herring, It's the fact that your biometrics are used as the UID for your database entry and then every little detail about you is attached to that during your life. It's all about the database, not the card!
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Old Navy
Police state? as reported today.

tinyurl.com/476hrj
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - FotheringtonThomas
I think DSR's warning "that the fear of terrorism is being exploited by the Government to erode civil liberties and risks creating a police state" is incomplete to say the least. As well as that, I think there's a real desire in Gov't to create a police state (N.B., I feel the need to spell out that this is not a reference to actual policemen).

From purely the driving aspect, we have ID cards (photo. licences are redundant with the ID cards envisaged), fixed ANPR, and "pay as you drive" - these just the tip of the iceberg.
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - L'escargot
L'escargot
Splitting hairs a bit aren't we?

What's with the "we"?

You might be, but I'm not. You can't split hairs over whether or not photocard licences are compulsory ~ they're not. Many older people still have a paper licence.

Edited by L'escargot on 17/02/2009 at 09:09

Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - midlifecrisis
Didn't this used to be a motoring forum once??
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - jbif
Didn't this used to be a motoring forum once?? >>

Could it be that the mods who police this site are allowed to use a bit of discretion and commonsense and personal judgement now and again, rather than apply "corporate guidelines" rigidly. ;-)

Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - FotheringtonThomas
You can't split hairs over whether or not photocard
licences are compulsory ~ they're not.

You are correct. I've still got one (somewhere), and no photo. one.
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - andyfr
I still have a paper licence and have no intention of changing it until I'm forced to. The only times I have had to show it have been for car hire in the UK and USA and never had a problem so don't see the need.
Introduction of ID Cards for some professions - Pugugly
Didn't this used to be a motoring forum once??

Indeed - locked.