07 2.0 Unusual noises - Any ideas of causes - Smax - Steve
I recently bought an 18month old SMax 2.0 TDCI. It is great except of a couple of niggly noises that don?t have an obvious explanation. It has less than 14K miles on the clock.

1) Odd vibration noise when lift off the accelerator ? when shifting up gears. Only noticeable when shift from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd and 4th and 4th to 5th. It is more noticeable when the engine is more stressed, for example, accelerating up a slope. The noise appears to be coming from behind my left shoulder, so it may be associated with the exhaust system. Local Ford dealer says most likely cause is Turbo overrun, and nothing to worry about. Is it? Any ideas?

2) Higher pitched whine ? this is not immediately noticeable especially if playing the sound system loud. The noise is a little like the whistle from an out of tune AM radio station. This sound appears to be coming from the front centre of the car. My guess is it is coming from a pump. Local Ford dealer says its ?normal?. I?ve not heard this noise in several other recent Ford 2.0 TDCI Mondeo?s, Galaxy?s or Smax?s. My concern is that this is an early warning of a potential failure of a critical item. Any ideas?

I?d appreciate any advice on the cause of these noises and whether to regard these are worrying.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Pugugly on 17/02/2009 at 11:08