White is back? - paul2007
The new C class Mercedes/w204. The sports model was widely advertised last year on tv, the car that turned into water and car again. The colour was white.
Since the adverts, I have seen a lot more tv usual white coloured family sized cars.

Am I rigth o just my imagination?
White is back? - gmac
It's the iPod generation accessorising.
White is back? - FocusDriver
In 2004, my brother bought a three year old white Octavia - mainly because it was cheaper because it was white. I can understand this for cars like the Octavia which are used widely as taxis but white's been out in the cold for so long, it's starting to look a bit more exotic.

On cars like the IS250 white, I think, looks stunning. Similarly for larger cars like Mercs and BMWs - rather head-turning I think. But I wouldn't have my Focus or a Fiesta in white though. A friend of mine who doesn't care about cars is driving his late grandmother's white '97 Micra. White definitely doesn't work in this case.
White is back? - paul2007
A guy up our road - Fiesta ST in white & Blue strip - looks good - but imo, the C class Merc Sprts is the real thing...............just may get one :)
White is back? - FocusDriver
Paul - yes that's true, I should have been clearer - "very standard" cars like base model Fiestas for example, are in a different league to the ST you mention. I agree it looks great in white.

If you can afford a C class Sport then I agree, I've seen a couple in white and all I can say is "you lucky b..."
White is back? - ifithelps
I'm no style guru, but the perceived wisdom seems to be small hatchbacks look dreadful in white.

Police forces buy silver cars because the resale value is so much better.
White is back? - MikeTorque
Police buy a lot more white cars than silver due to their higher visibility.

It's good to see more white cars being purchased and on the road. The old colours of silver, dark silver, grey, black, navy, etc. are so boring and dull and more accident prone due to them being nearly invisible in dull/poor light and/or wet conditions. Also there are so many around the 2nd hand values have plummeted, in addition there are far too many such dull colours in new stock that the dealers can't shift them. The dealer need a wider range of colours that appeal to buyers who want something different rather than silver, grey, black etc.

Also in recession times a brighter coloured car gives the driver & passengers a real morale boost.
White is back? - L'escargot
Police buy a lot more white cars than silver due to their higher visibility.

In dull/dark conditions silver is one of the least visible colours. The best are yellow and red.
White is back? - Andrew-T
> The perceived wisdom seems to be small hatchbacks look dreadful in white ..

My 205 GTi looks very nice, thanks. But it will be 20 in a few months' time so you may make allowances. In 1990 there were almost as many white cars as there are tin-coloured ones now.
White is back? - hillman
White is the new silver ?

White is the most practical colour really. In sunlight in Zambia one day a car salesman proved his point by asking me to stand between a dark coloured car and a light coloured one and hold my palms on the roofs. I quickly had to take my hand off the dark coloured roof. White does not absorb or radiate heat very well. The car interior stays cooler in hot weather and warmer in cold weather.
I bought a new Volvo 440 in 1994 - one of my work-mates said that it is the whitest car that he has ever seen. When it was about a month old I found a deep scratch on the nearside, from the the headlight to the tail light. By a nail or a key I don't know. Because the undercoats are white too the scratch was not really noticeable - I only found it when I was washing the car - and I didn't do anything with it. We still have the car in the family 15 years later and the scratch is difficult to see, no rust at all.
A black Ford top of range car that was hired had a few scratches on the tail hatch, not very deep ones, but they were immediately visible.
White is back? - ifithelps
...Police buy a lot more white cars than silver due to their higher visibility....

I think you'll find visibility, in the widest sense, is achieved by blue lights, a siren or two, and by driving it like a (snip). :)

Edited by Honestjohn on 16/02/2009 at 07:11

White is back? - retgwte
i think a lot of private motorists are rebelling against paying an extra 300 quid for a paint colour when buying new

mostly the "free" colours are making a comeback as part of the recession

White is back? - Cliff Pope
White has always been the colour for me. My car in 1966 was a white 1947 Triumph Roadster 1800.
White is back? - henry k
i think a lot of private motorists are rebelling against paying an extra 300 quid
for a paint colour when buying new

White is back in a big way in my area.
09 Porsche in old English white
09 Porsche Boxster
09 top version Range Rover
Etc. etc all seen locally on a short trip along with lots of lesser brands..