1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - Alanovich
A friend of mine has an H reg Bluebird 1.8. Has been owned by his Grandad since brand new, and has full history. Low mileage and in very sounds condition for its year. My friend has had it for 6 months now.

Sadly, yesterday it was diagnosed by the RAC as having blown its head gasket. It had overheated and wouldn't start again. Once the RAC started the engine, tons of white smoke was being emitted from the exhaust, so I think their diagnosis is the right one.

Knowing the good history and general good condition of the car, it might make more sense to repair it than spend the repair money on an unknown replacement car.

So my question is this. Is there anything else that will likely need replacing (thermostat etc), and how big and time consuming a job is this on a Bluebird? Could this breakdown have caused any wider problems which might make repair unwise?

We will be getting some quotes from local garages shortly, but I'd like to be at least a little wise on the likely cost before starting to call around. My initial thought is about 500 pounds. Right ball park?

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Alanovich on 10/02/2009 at 11:28

1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - piston power
If it's £500.00 id put that cash towards another car plenty of 1-2yr old cars in auction going cheap with these buisness going bust.

If it can be repaired for no more than £150-175 then maybe worth it.
It's a fair point. However the owner of the car knows nothing about cars, and really doesn't want to have to buy another one. I'd be nervous about advising him to buy something else which may go badly wrong. I realise that newer cars are much cheaper now but this chap is a care worker in a council run old folks' home and is very poorly paid. He has two children and simply can not afford something newer, nor finance for something newer.

As he will only be able to find a few hundred quid, I think he would be better off fixing up the car he knows than spending money on another, unknown banger. He literally only usues the car to get to and from work (anti social hours, 24 hour a day shift pattern), so only does a couple of thousand miles a year. HTis car was given to him gratis in the first place, so spending a bit to get it back on the road is reasonable. Give it one last chance and then give up on it when something else major goes bang, that's my thinking.
1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If it were mine I'd fix it. Its better than most new cars and the repair shouldnt cost an arm and a leg. Renew the thermostat and cam belt while its in bits and renew the antifreeze.
1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - slowdown avenue
fix it , check out ebay for agasket set, check it for a cracked head, . best to use soft water i believe and mix antifreeze 50 50. Most old nissan can be kept running for ever at very little cost
1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - injection doc
I agree with Andrew , cracking car very reliable & they don't build them like it any more. £500 is better spent on the devil you know than the one you don't. Do have the head checked though as they did suffer with cracking but mostly on the turbo models.
I reckon if they built that model new now they would still sell well. Big spacious car with large boot & light controls to drive.
Cheers, fellas.
1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - gordonbennet
I'll bet you and your mate could sort that on Saturday morning between you AV, i've always found Japanese cars of that era to be as simple as can be to work on.

Not many left now, most of them became taxis and went to the moon and back trouble free.
1990 1.8 Head gasket blown - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
< I agree with Andrew cracking car very reliable & they don't build them like it
any more.
I reckon if they built that model new now they would still sell well. Big
spacious car with large boot & light controls to drive.>

I think the time is coming when a manufacturer will take the hint and do just that.