06 2.0 Doubts about the service - jim holland
I've got an 06 2 litre Diesel Focus and have a nagging doubt about the servicing of the car at the main dealer.
My last Focus from the dealership was always serviced there but one thing kept cropping up. Brakes 80% worn. I had the first ones done but after that I had doubts so did them myself. And ALWAYS found them to be around the 50% mark. Now with another car from them I'm doing the same. But I can't be bothered to complain - until now maybe!

Before the recent service I replaced the front pads because the fluid level went down to minimum. The new pads brought the level back up to the maximum mark. The old pads were about 4mm thick. Whats the new thickness 12.5/13 /14mm?

The latest service report says my rear pads are 75% worn. The latest poster on the wall of the dealership shows 25% 50% and 75%. Change of emphasis? Or do modern pads wear quicker? I've checked them with calipers and find them to be 6mm. That would put the new ones at 24mm thick! Nearly an inch in old money!!
I'm going to try and make up a kind of go/no go gauge

I had the brake fluid changed - because it's hygroscopic - but can't see any sign that the bleed nipples have been touched but the reservoir is covered in brake fluid and not even cleaned. Is there any other way of getting the fluid out apart from the usual method?

Probably the most trivial thing as far as I'm concerned was that the mechanic put "Car Dirty" in the comment column. This might give the impression of a car covered in grime with number plates obliterated. It's not.
I've driven it all week when others were having days off work due to the bad weather and even managed to get to the garage for the service - when others didn't -in the snow and slush so to see a comment like that makes me wonder what they expected to be presented with.

06 2.0 Doubts about the service - piston power
As a rule of thumb i replace pads when the material is the same thickness as the backplate of the pad ( the metal bit).

Rear pads wear much slower than the fronts too.

What is the milege and what miles do you do a year?

To brake bleed they will have used a pressure bleeder it's much faster than pumping the pedal.
06 2.0 Doubts about the service - Javalin
If you're not happy stop using them....

In regard to "car dirty" one nationwide chain of MOT/Basic service/Tyres etc places initially refused to MOT my girlfriends Punto because it smelled of Dog. She rang me and I said to ring the manager. The manager tried it on, but eventually backed down and MOT'd the car for free. The car does smell of dog but not much - in fact she had recently cleaned the car extensively - what do they expect dog owners to do? We were very annoyed as we had to juggle cars and travel arrangements to re-visit.

I expect they ran out of time to do the car.....

Needless to say they will not get anymore custom from us....

James
06 2.0 Doubts about the service - piston power
Lol, we refused a taxi when the driver pulled up a very heavy smoker and the drivers side footwell had all the stinky tab ends on the floor, the car stunk awfull.!! (long way to airport)

So i guess plenty of mechanics get pink fluffy dice with drivers that won't have a bit of basic hygene.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/02/2009 at 00:25

06 2.0 Doubts about the service - jim holland
I decided to take it up with the service manager today. He said the fact that car being dirty has caused him problems with mechanics before. They make excuses so as not do the job of checking the exterior paintwork. Mines ok. He thought the comment was unreasonable considering the weather and the fact that it was snowing and the roads were slushy. Also they're going to have another look at the car again. Good PR or what? We'll see.

What's also stuck in my mind concerning the brake fuid. A friend went to a well known supplier to have an exhaust fitted. He was then told that his shock absorbers were leaking yet they had only been fitted 6 months previous - by the same company! He was shown the leaky unit but it wasn't the right fluid. It had come from an oil can near the car.
I don't suspect all garages but I want to trust this main dealer. But my experiences with them in the past are telling me I might have been too tolerant.
06 2.0 Doubts about the service - injection doc
"So i guess plenty of mechanics get pink fluffy dice with drivers that won't have a bit of basic hygene. "
Too right, I have seen some most foul cars in my 30+ years & have refused many a time to work on some as they have been a health hazard! from soiled nappies lying on the floors not wrapped up or in nappy bags even with a full growth of mould in them as well, to mouldy pizzas' & coffee cups with mould growing on the top!
I personally can't stand the cars that have had damp dogs in them & some are so bad its enough to make you reach & I remember even my techs refusing some & I always used to take the policy if I can't stand it then I wouldn't expect my staff too!

Well done Jim for going back lets hope they do bleed the brakes this time. They may of done it before & used a brake cleaner afterwards that does disolve all tell tail signs.
As for a dirty car well it can cause problems so we also used to report if a car was dirty. Its not intended to offend its just to state a fact that if there was any damage it may not be spotted.
I J

06 2.0 Doubts about the service - L'escargot
I want to trust this main dealer. But my
experiences with them in the past are telling me I might have been too tolerant.

Ford dealers are inspected by the RAC (tinyurl.com/dn3g5o) so they have to be reasonably trustworthy and efficient. What reason have you for thinking that their employees would be any less trustworthy than you are in your job?
06 2.0 Doubts about the service - L'escargot
But I can't be bothered
to complain - until now maybe!

A calm query is likely to be much more productive than an angry complaint.