Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - oilrag
Well.. you would think it would be - wouldn`t you?

What happened to all the home bio and straight veg oil cars - with this `exceptional snow event, persistently bullying particles now falling` (news) winter?
Do they switch back to regular derv in winter? Or are they sold on - with tanks full of marrowbone jelly? On a sort of - no longer my pal - basis.....
;-)
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - gordonbennet
Funny you should think that, the chip fat burners are quiet at the moment, possibly brewing up a witch's cauldron of anything that will flow through the pipes..;)

Coincidentally we've followed some older diesels this week that have been travelling so slowly and stinking/smoking so badly that we've turned the heater on to full time recirculation, i hadn't given the chip foundry thing a thought.

A timely reminder lest we be tempted by a used diesel at a giveaway price, thanks.
Be a good test for the `Willers` GB ;-)
Be a good test for the `Willers`

Strewth, just spat me tea out..

I've just remembered, topped up with 30 litres of Morrisons finest yesterday and i clean forgot to put the statutory squirt and a half of full cream Millers in when i got home, i'll put me strides back on and go fix that now...no second thoughts i'll do it in the morning whilst its having 10 minutes warm up, against all the best advice i know.;)

(engine's still remarkably quiet on tickover cold despite the present oil being in for 2K miles, getting itchy feet about this extended service interval, and can't wait to try the Fumoto)
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - Hamsafar
I put some in last week just before the snow, but only 1 part veg oil to 3 parts diesel. I store it in 20litre drums in a wheelie bin and it does turn to a runny wallpaper paste type of consistency during sub-zero unhandled weather exceptions.
Go on GB .. change the oil ;-)

What if its thinning with particles building up...;);)

The van`s on Mobil 1 - 1st change at around 800 miles. Now changed at half manufacturers interval...
(I know.......not needed - but it feels good)
You're a bad influence Oily, but i'm resolute in that i'm going to make it manage on that present oil until the end of March, though i'll feel remorseful every cold start, and i think its actually done 2.5K, i'll give her an extra coat of carnuba when the sun comes out to make up.

the motor's on Toyo's own 10/40 semi at around £18 for 5 litres IIRC (but was on buy 2 get 1 free so i've got more in stock than they have), see i really push the boat out over oil..;)

I just couldn't do what you do Hamsafar, how the dickens does your fuel system handle the stuff.
Veg oil & willers...... What if there`s a man made waxy `banana` in the fuel tank? Surfacing now and then over speed humps.Like a whale blowing off after catching a squid - or even one of those free cereal packet submarines of 50 years ago that you filled with baking powder.......
;-)

Edited by oilrag on 08/02/2009 at 21:33

I continue to be amazed at the surreal world one enters in when in your domain OR, almost expecting a large hatted bunny to pop his head round the door for a chat.;)

How can you remember such things from all those years ago, good memories though.
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - prm72
Veg oil & willers...... What if there`s a man made waxy `banana` in the fuel
tank? Surfacing now and then over speed humps.Like a whale blowing off after catching a
squid - or even one of those free cereal packet submarines of 50 years ago
that you filled with baking powder.......
;-)

>>

Crikey, i remember them, i had frogmen that did the same, ahh memories.
We graduated to screw-down pop bottle submarines made of cork and pins - perfectly weighted so the air in the cork compressed.
Then on to water beetles...the big one`s were quite something weren`t they 50 years ago? I think they flew at night navigating by the Moon.. perhaps latterly to car headlights.. crunch

Edited by oilrag on 08/02/2009 at 22:09

Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - L'escargot
I've just remembered topped up with 30 litres of Morrisons finest yesterday and i clean
forgot to put the statutory squirt and a half of full cream Millers in when
i got home

My car's Owner's Guide specifically advises not to use fuel additives.
My car's Owner's Guide specifically advises not to use fuel additives.

They don't want your fuel system to last too many years..;)

This as a long term experiment, the vehicle is intended to be run till it or i pop our clog's, it will be interesting to see whether the good old Millers (there are other fuel additives...see i could get a job at the bbc) makes any long term difference.

Don't worry i slipped the squirt and a half in whilst the engine was warming up thismorning and cleared the windows for swmbo.

Don't try this at home kids..;)
"i slipped the squirt and a half"

Lets hope the `banana` wasn`t lying on its back - mouth open, waiting for its breakfast - at the bottom of the filler neck ;-)

Have a good day GB ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 09/02/2009 at 07:48

Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - b308
Don't try this at home kids..;)

Ok....

Why?....
"Why?..."

You never made a Blue Peter nuclear reactor out of cornflakes boxes and smartie tubes then B308 ;-)

Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - Altea Ego
oily, where do you get your baccy from?
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - Number_Cruncher
>>makes any long term difference.

How will you ever know?

"oily, where do you get your baccy from?"

Never touched anything elicit ( except putting STP in the oil 40 years ago ;-) most of our clients had cannabis induced psychosis. To such an extent that you could have closed one of the admission wards if it had never been touched and then disbanded half of the community support team.
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - bintang
Fish fryers often use palm oil, which, like dripping, is solid even at room temperature (which is why their chips, when cold, go stiff). I can't imagine what is done to it to make it suitable for engines in a cold climate.
How will you ever know?

Through comparisons with others who run similar motors.
And i'm not worried about convincing anyone else, this is my own long term test.

OR, for pete's sake you can't go making such remarks about the down side of cannabis (don't get me started on drug dealer scum), the more enlightened crowd have been telling us for years the benifits of the muck...mind you they seem to have a lot of time for it, as work and weed don't seem to be partners.

so chill out man.;)

Mods i'll understand if you edit this post.
To return to Veg oil and motoring in winter - it really is quiet on the topic and on other forums too, isn`t it at this time of year?

Edited by oilrag on 09/02/2009 at 17:54

>>my own long term test.

Which is fine, and I hope that your engine gives you good service - but, the test can never prove or demonstrate anything. There are simply too many other variables.

Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - the swiss tony
Which is fine and I hope that your engine gives you good service - but
the test can never prove or demonstrate anything. There are simply too many other variables.

Why not NC?
you could say the same for any long term test, some times one engine will develop a fault for no apparent reason...

if the injectors / feul pump gum up, it MAY be because of the veg fuel.....
but the other side of the coin is, if the veggie burner DOESNT have any problems, its a fair bet the veg fuel was a good idea.....
>>Why not NC?

Unless I'm much mistaken, GB isn't considering wrecking his fuel system with veg oil, but is expensively dosing his standard pump fuel with Millers additive.

ST, perish the thought, i wouldn't run veg oil in a diesel if you paid me.

No i've put millers in the hilux from day one, and NC think's that should it complete a trouble free life the millers may have nothing to do with it, he well may be right and i will not try to convince him otherwise, as he is far more knowledgable about engines and fuel systems than i will ever be.
I know some of these are having cold engine rattling issues due to injectors.
I am quietly experimenting to see if the millers works on MY engine.
I will say no more on the subject on this forum.
My Father bought a gallon of so called `colloidal graphite` fuel additive in the early 60`s and the Morris Minor got a metered dose of that every fill up.

I was a cynic then in short pants (if you can visualise that ;-) used to give him a good ribbing about it - calling it `collered grafter` or something like that - as he had bought it from a travelling salesman and it was in a plain grey gallon can..
"I am quietly experimenting to see if the millers works on MY engine."

Good for you GB and long may that continue. I for one would miss it if you didn`t refer to it again....

I always thought that only you and I squared the hypotter- noose - with the triangle - in that funny handshake sort of way - concerning `hoyle, waterproof grease, washing salt of from underneath at midnight and laying awake at night under a film of engine oil with particles rotating under the fading cloud of consciousness..

Sorry if i`ve caused offence - i was just about to go look at some too....

Maybe....
;-)
if i`ve caused offence -

Oily one, i don't think its in your considerable skills list to cause offence, so please don't think that.
Your teasing and humourous friendly banter are much appreciated be me and no doubt many others i assure you, so don't stop...ever.

Re the Miller situation, its a simple non scientific possibly pointless trial, and like you with your regime of care and excess greasing, we're just trying to make our cars last that little longer than the norm and maybe proving to ourselves that the old ways of doing things may just still be valid, hence the ridiculous to some oil change intervals and the like, mind you sometimes you'd think its a crime.
And i do buy the Millers by the 5 litre can, so i only throw half as much money away should i have bought it by the small bottle, if it works i'm chuffed, if it doesn't i'll probably never know.

Any interim reports or long term findings are probably only of anecdotal interest to equally disturbed minds anyway.;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a secret sign for Millers users, similar to other secretive societies?
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - the swiss tony
ST perish the thought i wouldn't run veg oil in a diesel if you paid
me.

sorry.... misunderstood! must learn to read the posts more carefully :-s
"similar to other secretive societies?"

Remember the Lodge? You took them out and gave them a good clean up after stripping them down and hoping they didn`t subsequently leak gas after screwing them back in.
Remember the Lodge?

Very good, i think you have to be of a certain age to get that.;)

Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - Mapmaker
GB. When did you last change the oil in the gear box of the Hilux?
GB. When did you last change the oil in the gear box of the Hilux?

I get the strangest feeling in me water that there's a little leg pulling going on here, go on enjoy yourselves.;)

Its 17 months old, i daresay it will probably get changed at 30K ish, i'd start to worry about it otherwise.
The landcruiser required both (manual) gearbox and both axle oils changed at 60K when the cambelt was required, but i'm sure they were part of the 30K service too (without cambelt), the cambelt interval is now either 90 or 100K, so maybe the other intervals have increased too.
Not sure without looking it up, but rest assured i'll half it.;)

This auto gearbox servicing has undergone a rethink in the last few years i notice.
Both BMW and MB went through a period when their auto gearbox's didn't require oil service's, following relatively short lived autobox lives under that regime they have now resumed proper servicing intervals.
I don't think the Japanese went for this sealed for life idea, maybe some Lexus owners would care to comment.
Fuel tank full of marrowbone jelly -7C Veg oil.... - L'escargot
>> My car's Owner's Guide specifically advises not to use fuel additives.
>>
They don't want your fuel system to last too many years..;)

In 45 years of car ownership I've never yet had a problem that was attributable to the fuel, other than one occasion when the tank got dirt in it.
I've never yet had a problem that was attributable
to the fuel

It was a tongue in cheek comment, hence the smiley.

I want one of those cars, what is it, 45 years service is very good, especially without the Millers..;)