1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - GeoffL
My son's '99 1.6 Focus is using a lot of oil. The local garage has had it on a rolling road but there's no sign of burning & absolutely no leaks. I've heard of a similar problem with an Audi A4 which was diagnosed as a porous cylinder head. What is this, and can it happen with the Focus engine?
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - quizman
How much oil is it using and what sort are you putting in?
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - GeoffL
He reckons about 500 miles per litre. 10W40 semi synthetic. Car has done about 85,000 miles.
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - quizman
It seems quite a lot, but the car has done a highish mileage. If it was mine I would just put the oil in as it is not leaking.
I have never heard of a porous block on a Focus engine.
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - Dynamic Dave
He reckons about 500 miles per litre. 10W40 semi synthetic.

Is that the right spec oil? Previous posts have suggested 5/30 or 0/30. Mind you, using a thinner oil *might* make the consumption worse.
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - Simon
Well if it isn't leaking onto the floor it must be burning it out of the exhaust.
1999 1.6 High Oil Consumption - mikej
Ford recommended 5W30 oil for my 1999 1.8i - shouldn't the 1.6 use the same ?

I've been a member of a couple of Focus forums for a while and don't remember reading anything about porous cylinder heads.

My Focus had done around 86k miles when I sold it and very rarely needed topping up between services (approx. 10k per year) so the usage you mention does sound excessive, from my experience at least.