Crunch :( - stunorthants26
I guess it had to happen, ive managed to crunch to misses car. Downhill out the village, the old Astra infront of me stuffed it in the verge, got out and promptly did it again 20m further one and the second time I couldnt avoid him, no grip at all.

Managed to just glance off it cracking the Sirions bumper, creasing the wing and scratching headlamp. Underneath looks fine, thank goodness for crumple zones - Impact was under 10 mph.
His just a smashed rear light lense - a write off if he claims for anythingelse I would think - it was a £150 car at best.

Already arranged repairs although £500 excess stings abit. Goes in Tuesday. Such a hassle though.
Crunch :( - b308
You and yours aren't having much luck recently, Stu!

Sorry to hear about it and hope you get its fixed ok... at least it wasn't your car.... ;-)
It certainly doesnt help with the finances but atleast its not claiming off my policy!
Not sure how much difference it will make to our premiums respectively, have to see.

The misses is getting an automatic hire car, so shes happy.

It was one of those accidents that once it started happening, you knew where it was going but the skating rink surface didnt offer up any options other than being a spectator. Managed to limit the speed atleast so the slam panel was saved and the wing bent on its mounting so isolated from expensive bits.

Still feel like a fool though - it was agaianst my better judgement to go out but my mum was trapped at work. Next time, she can stay there!
Crunch :( - rtj70
Lucky you weren't going fast enough to crumple to crumple zone or the repair would be a lot more. What bad luck. Thankfully nobody hurt.

Looks like I made the right choice to drive back from Swindon yesterday to the north west.
Crunch :( - billy25
very unlucky, tis a nasty feeling when you've time to realise what is going to happen - and you cant do anything about it!
I've had exactly the same happen to me in icy conditions in the past! even had time to get into reverse and "floor it" before the inevitable "thump".

p.s
>>cracking the Sirions bumper, creasing the wing and scratching headlamp<<
>>his was just a rear light lens<<

they dont make em like they used to eh? ;-)

billy
Crunch :( - Altea Ego
I've had exactly the same happen to me in icy conditions in the past! even
had time to get into reverse and "floor it" before the inevitable "thump".

The only thing your car wont do in weather like this is stop. The only thing you have going for you in weather like this is momentum. So if you have front wheel drive and somewhere safe to point it, you stuff your foot to the floor, and the front will go roughly where you are pointing the wheels. Tru the back may do stuff on its own, and you may have gained momentum that you cant get rid of later, but you can worry about that later too.
Crunch :( - Lud
Are you one of nature's Swedes or Finns AE? I ask because your post conjures up an agreeable picture of a Saab 96 ricochetting off snow banks at 100 plus...

Edited by Lud on 06/02/2009 at 17:53

As it happens..... For anyone who knows the road, the road from Pyrford past the Anchor pub to wisley village, early wednesday morning......

3 inches of ice with some packed snow on top, the slight hill and sharp l/h bend through the narrow restrictors over the top of pyford lock, needed quite a bit of momentum, scrabbling front wheels, a dab of handbrake and a slap of the rear into the snowbank to point it straight through the width restrictors.

I am stunned by how good the altea was in this weather.
Well, the repairs are looking in the region of £8-900 for the Sirion as it needs bumper, front wing and headlight, so thats quite possibly a low estimate.

Result on the guy I hit - he admitted 50/50 liability as it was his stuffing it in the bank resulting in him stopping far quicker than I could manage. We came to a private settlement of £25 to replace the smashed rear light and he gave me a letter to say with this payment he considered the matter settled - how binding that is I dont know but insurers know about it and said it was fine to do it that way.

As ever could have been worse, just hope the standard of repair is up to standard - its by our local Vauxhall main dealers bodyshop.
Result on the guy I hit - he admitted 50/50 liability as it was his
stuffing it in the bank resulting in him stopping far quicker than I could manage.

Err No i dont think so. Nor will his insurance company. Nor will yours. there is no 50/50 about it.

>stopping far quicker than I could manage.
your fault.
Doesnt matter what you think though :-)
No it dont. Not till the guy you hit suddenly develops whiplash after a chat with his mates down the pub.

Edited by Altea Ego on 08/02/2009 at 23:04

Crunch :( - FotheringtonThomas
Result on the guy I hit - he admitted 50/50 liability as it was his
stuffing it in the bank resulting in him stopping far quicker than I could manage.

Wow. He must be 50/50 in the head - there's no way I'd "admit 50/50" in such circumstances. I'd be hopping.
Crunch :( - Blue {P}
It doesn't really matter even if he does suddenly develop whiplash, Stu has already claimed on his insurance and so they will honour the third party element of the claim even if it comes in later.

If I were you Stu I would be claiming the £25 back from your insurers (if possible!).

Crunch :( - L'escargot
Wow. He must be 50/50 in the head - there's no way I'd "admit 50/50"
in such circumstances.

My insurer advises that their customers should not admit any liability. In fact any conversation between the parties should be limited to exchange of details only.
Something I noticed when I settled up with him - his car had very out of date tax, early 2008 - whats the chances he wasnt insured either? May have explained his generous attitude.
The car was barely £150 worth having looked at it so its certainly possible.
Crunch :( - movilogo
whats the chances he wasnt insured either?

It's easy to check at askmid.com
Just checked it - no suprises, its not insured. Makes a change to hit an uninsured driver vs the usual getting hit BY one :-)