Camchain or Belt? - v8man
I am taking junior to look at Corsa C 1.0. Does this car have a chain or belt? Thanks.
Camchain or Belt? - Rattle
If its the 3 pot then its a chain. Beware that these cars are quite easy to stall, I have driven a couple and found they really really lack torque which does not make then nice to drive.
It's going to be my sons first car (if we get it) as he is 17 next month. I didn't realise they did a 3 pot.
Camchain or Belt? - Rattle
Its a 3 12 valve pot Suzuki engine, reliable but my experience of them was that they are not the easiest things to drive.
Camchain or Belt? - davidh
We've covered 30K in our 1.0 Corsa C over 5 years and I think its a smashing little car. Will cruise easily and has light clutch, steering and gears. Visibilty is only ok as the A pillars are quite thick and in three door form, the rear three quarter visibility isnt great. I was initially sceptical about the 1.0 being enough, and fancied the 1.2 but as it has turned out, the 1.0 is fine and being camchain and long service intervals its dead cheap to service. It shrugged off a 400 mile trip to Cornwall loaded to the gunwales leaving us fairly fresh. Like all Vauxhalls it will do an indicated 95 all day long (so I'm told, though I cant remember who told me).

Check the CV boots for security and drive the car on full lock both directions listening for the clunking of a worn CV joint as they have a habit of popping the boot off (a large jubilee clip fixes this) usually wearing the joint before the loose boot is discovered.

Also check that it goes in to 2nd gear ok. Our 52 plate car was affected by the known gear linkage issue which just required a new modified linkage. I fit it in about 45 minutes so its not bad to do. Allow about £60 for the linkage in parts and £40 each for a CV joint kit in parts if it needs them. You'd have to add labour if you didnt feel confident to change them. Either way if you like the car but notice these faults you can use that as a bargaining chip.
It needs to be the 1.0 for insurance purposes as my son is only 17.

Thanks for the advice.