2002 1.6 How to change reversing bulb? - pmw5
My Focus Hatchback reverse light has stopped working, and the light compartment, located in the rear bumper to the left, is full of water.

Perhaps I'm stupid, but I can't work out from looking in the manual how to get into the compartment housing the reversing light.

How can I remove the bulb compartment to drain the water, reseal, and replace the bulb? There seems to be no obvious catches to release the bulb compartment, I've looked behind it (ie behind the rear left wheel) but could find nothing! The exterior of the bumper also has no obvious catches around the edges of the light housing.

If anyone can post 'an idiot's guide', I'd be a very grateful idiot!

Thanks in advance!
2002 1.6 How to change reversing bulb? - pmw5
OK I figured it out and here's how I did it in case anyone else has the same problem.

Behind the lighting compartment, ie behind the rear wheel, there is a little catch. The car user manual says to push this DOWN to release the light compartment. This is WRONG! You push it UP slightly, then you can push the light compartment forwards so that it comes out of the bumper, ie out of the back of the car.

I was then able to drain the water from the light compartment, put it back, and fit a new bulb.

Cheers all.

2002 1.6 How to change reversing bulb? - MB Scotland
Do you know how the light fitting gets water inside? I had this issue with my Focus also.
2002 1.6 How to change reversing bulb? - ScoobyNut
Hi. Just done a repair on a friends car (focus mk1) at work, on the failing reverse light, it's a common problem on these & a bit of a design fault.

Righty, to remove the light cluster, yes it all comes out of the bumper, you remove a push on electrical fitting that usually has a small locking clip to stop it falling off. Best to follow the wiring up to the rear of the unit with a torch and look for a part either at the top or bottom of the electrical connection in the centre. Press this with you thumb and slide off the electrical connection.

Next the unit / reverse light cluster comes out of the bumper. at the bottom of the light in the centre angain is another push clip. Press this in with your thumb whilst carefully sliding out the unit.

You will see on the rear of the unit is the rear face of the bulb and a white plastic bit holding the bulb into the unit. Unscrew and pull out the bulb & bulb holder. Bin this & get down to you rFord dealer for a replacement. Trust me you'll never get this back to new so scrap it. Think it's about £8 ish with the bulb.

Next to the unit itself. Turn upside down & drain off the water. Fill up the unit with clean water & swill out any green slime or mud! Dry. Next on the rear, when the unit is cleaned, you will see a little piece of black rubber that is curved & that will be blocked. This is the breather that needs pulling off & cleaning out so that air can pass through this. It's this that fills with mud & blocks, & lets condensation build up & build up until your light is full of water. If you can't get this clear, bin & get a new one!

Reassamble is reverse & if you want to stop the breather getting blocked again with crap, thrown from your rear wheels, FIT MUDFLAPS!!!!!
2002 1.6 How to change reversing bulb? - 2bak860

Thanks for all the pointers. I followed ScoobyNut's instructions to a T.

The only addition I'd make is that the curved black rubber was white rubber on my one and the unit without the bulb is £9, but no biggie.

Unfortunately, followed these instructions and no fix - must be the electrics out of the back of the car :-(