warranty - mims2208
hi all,
px my old car for 53 plate fiesta last week. all fine until 2 days after engine management light appeared. knew that the garage i bought it from would not have the technology to figure out the problem so took it to ford dealership. ended up paying £80 for this service and they found that the cat is prob on the way out (plus other minor things that i dont mind paying for). i have three months warranty from the garage, but id like to know a couple of things:

1. if the cat does go, it is included in the warranty?
2. if it doesnt go, is it worth me buying an extended warranty for it after garage warranty ended?
3. or should i just take the car back to the garage?

trouble is though, the car i px wasnt up to much, and i got a good price for it (i did not dupe him in any way!), so im a little anxious about returning if he's figured that the car i left him with was trash. (its a T reg saxo 45,000 ?blockage air filter).

apologies in advance if i sound as if i dont know what im doing (because i dont), and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me!!
warranty - oilrag
Take it back to where you bought it from - don`t worry about the "blockage air filter" on your PX. That would have cost them only a fiver or so - less if they just put a few air holes in it - or swapped it for another less used one.. (its nothing)

Only you know whether the CAT is covered - read the small print on your particular warranty - there are many.

Present it back to the garage you bought it from ASAP.

Lots of small garages have code readers - some only cost £50. There is a standardised socket on the car - its easy to read the codes yourself and then get help on the Forum.

I have one of these and it reads codes on both our Puntos. Perhaps for future reference you may consider something similar and save yourself on diagnostic costs - while it obviously won`t cover things in the same detail as Fords diagnostic gear - it`s only to point you in the right direction once for you to get your purchase money back

tinyurl.com/5o9dt8

Extended warranty? too many exclusions and loopholes - better banking the money

All the best

Edited by oilrag on 30/01/2009 at 15:38

warranty - mims2208
oh dear, maybe a problem taking the car back, as my friend saw the px car being taken away from the garage on a tow truck earlier on - ? really not any good at all, as he would have repaired the problem at the garage!

Thanks for your advice on warranties though, and i have incidentally found a much cheaper alternative to taking the car to ford to have the diagnostics done. will definitely take your advice and look up on that one.

i think i will stick to the car and see what happens, perhaps now even if i take the car back the owner might say something like "well what about the wreck you left me?!"
warranty - oldnotbold
"oh dear, maybe a problem taking the car back, as my friend saw the px car being taken away from the garage on a tow truck"

Perhaps just being collected by another trader, anyway, it's not your problem - he bought it as seen, whereas he has to provide some sort of back up for the car he sold you. All part of the fun of being a trader!
warranty - mims2208
yes i suppose he should have examined the car in more detail, however he only asked me about the gearbox (as its an automatic), no problems there i replied - therefore i didnt lie! just my morals being tugged at i think!

am working shifts until next monday, will wrestle with my conscience (and hopefully win) and take the car back to see what he says. like you say, all part of the fun.
warranty - rtj70
Phone them in the meantime so they know there is a problem.
warranty - Falkirk Bairn
Irrespective of exclusions from the Insurance Warranty a dealer has to provide a warranty under the Sale of Goods / Merchantable Quality.

A fault within 2 days must be fixed or you can get your money back! Trading standards dropped into the conversation if they initially refuse will make him wary!