Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Dude - {P}
I seem to remember reading on an earlier thread that someone had said that fully synthetic oil should not be used in a new car for the first 20k miles to allow the pistons to bed in properly and avoid glazing the bores. Has anyone got any documentary evidence to verify this statement. - If this is the case why would a company like BMW send all their new cars out filled with fully synthetic oil (Castrol SLX).
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Dizzy {P}
Modern improvements in piston/bore shaping in conjunction with advanced diamond honing techniques should have eliminated all possibility of bore glazing.

I would be guided by the owner's handbook which I'm sure would advise against synthetic if there was any possibility of it leading to glazing.
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Cyd
Spot on Dizzy.

The Dodge Viper, all Astons & Porsches come out of the factory with Mobil 1.
And in case our readers start to think that only the expensive cars are made this way, let me point out that Citroen markets its diamond honing machinery to other engine manufacturers!

Also, the improvements in recent years in piston/bore shaping and cylinder block rigidity are vital to keep emissions within current regulations so I would expect that all engine makers are working to the same standard.
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Ben79
I'm glad you said that about Citroen, my 1.4 1999 Xsara covered 4000 miles in 18mths, oil change then, and then synthetic every 6000 miles thereafter. I have just passed 6000 miles (in about 5 months) and the Total quartz 9000 oil is still very clean. It could probably do another 10,000 miles with ease.

I didn't know Citroen Peugeot are at the forefront of engine technology.

Ben
I didn't know Citroen Peugeot are at the forefront of engine
technology.

Pity they are also at the forefront of throwing conn-rods!
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Ben79
It is shocking that Peugeot don't take responsibility for what appears to be their problem. Does this depend on how well the car is treated, whether coolant and oil is changed frequently, number of starts and short journeys, if the car is allowed to warm properly before being given some "welly".

They can think up a list of excuses as long as my arm, but it isn't really a current problem for them because the engines that think that con rods should stick through the bonnet aren't used anymore. (Except in the 1.9D Berlingo that they are selling for the same price as the 1.4 petrol, which has similar economy and better performance IIRC)

I don't know how much of the architecture of the new HDI engines comes from older models.

Peugeot should look after their customers even when out of warranty because it is them who are going to buy the new models. Remember that BMW and VW customer service isn't much better, just see posts on this list.

Ben
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - John S
The lubrication of bores and rings is very marginal, completely unlike the pressure fed bearings of the crankshaft. I've heard of bore glazing many years back, before synthetic oils, and it was always blamed on too gentle running in.

I suspect the running in regime is more significant than the oil used. The combination of better bore/ring/piston machining plus the modern practice of minimal running in probably prevents it.

Don't engines like Astons and TVR's get a bench test anyway?

Regards

John S
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
A little bird, who was in a position to know, once told me that a certain well-known British FI engine manufacturer was able to detect bore-glazing when a engine was being bench tested or run-in. Their solution was to inject, whilst running, a small quantity of ... AJAX LIQUID...!!! This was apparently abbrasive enough to de-glaze the bore without causing damage to the rings. I do not suggest you try this at home !

Regards, Adam
Fully synthetic oil & Glazed Bores - Andy
Volvo use full synthetic for all their turbo charged engines and now have an agreemnet with Castrol same as BMW.