1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - FP
When the ignition is turned on, the display for the digital clock and temperature seems blank, but if viewed in bright sunlight can be seen to be showing the correct information.

I'm assuming the display should be backlit by a small bulb and that this has failed. I would be grateful if someone could tell me how to get at this to change it.
1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - thomp1983
small flat blade screwdriver, gently pry out the bottom section of the plastic dash panel, you'll see the clock held in by 2 torx screws (iirc). remove screws bulbs are on the back.

chris
1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - hm
Chris as already stated... the surround around the display pull off to show two little torx... and yes there is a little bulb behind there too.
1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - Andrew-T
I think there are two bulbs. On my display one of them used to come and go, and could sometimes be revived with a sharp knock. So if both have failed it may be wiring, not bulb failure.

Incidentally I don't think you will have a 1998 306 HDi. Mine was one of the first, reg. in August 99.
1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - thomp1983
it likely is the bulbs, there probably the originals so are now 10 years old and out of the 9 306's ive had they've all had at least 1 dead bulb

chris
1998 2.0 HDi Clock/temperature display - Andrew-T
In my case it was clearly poor contacts. Both bulbs worked most of the time, and AFAIK they were both original.